Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone identify the woman in this 1930s photo?

Warbaby

One Too Many
She looks vaguely familiar and the photo has the look of the sort of portraits that are done for book jackets and publicity photos, but I just can't place her and I can't make sense of her signature. Anyone recognize her?

woman.jpg

Here's a close-up of the inscription and signature:

woman_sig.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well isn't it obvious? It's the famous...uh...woman D. MariesW9que.
I think she was the grommet heiress, you know the one, and was later indicted. For...glassblowing. A lady didn't do such things then.

Yeah, that's it.
lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think her first name is Marian. Note the spelling; it isn't typical.

What is the name of the photographer penciled in the right hand corner?

She is wearing a very expensive imported jacket for the period. It could be a staged photo (photographer's studio) or an indication she was a woman of wealthy means.

Vintage Betty

Warbaby

One Too Many
Something about her signature seems Spanish or Latin American. That exotic jacket with its Japanese or Chinese design influence, combined with her intellectual pose and expression makes me think she may have been an artist or writer.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
just reading her inscription, "in" and "and" her letters don't close, so trying to read the letters in her name is a challenge. Her first name looks like Maris to me....ya know.

Mojito

One Too Many
"D" is possibly "Dr"...and the first name may even be "Maureen" (although Marion looks a bit more likely).

TessTrueheart

Murph351 said:
*Bump*

Dang, this women's face is still haunting me.
Anyone have any more clues?

She haunts me too and I've tried googling every interpretation of that signature I can think of and come up with nothing. Someone please solve this mystery, it's driving me mad.

Warbaby

One Too Many
She's been driving me crazy for five or six years. There's something beyond the ordinary about her and something familiar - I'm sure I've seen another photo of her sometime in the past. To me, her "intellectual" pose suggests author or philosopher - or maybe scientist. The closest I can come to deciphering her name is possibly Mariah, and to my eyes, the first letters of her last name look like Iq..., which, if that's indeed what it is, would likely make her Spanish or Latin American. I think the photographer's name is Alda Jourdan, but it's not very clear, either.

Ah well...if I show her to enough people, sooner or later someone will recognize her and say "My God, that's ______ ______ and she's inscribed the photo to her secret lover Clara _______."

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Interesting.
Found a reference to an artist Alda Jourdan (1889-1962) from Portland.
Where did you find the photo?
I'm still cursing you for posting this thread:D

Idledame

Practically Family
My gosh, she DOES look like Hearst! I thought it was Mariann at first but that loopy thing must be the cross of a "T" ..Mariett, Marieta? Marieth? first letter of last name looks like an I...Igues...Igna? Interesting that of 4 "i"s she only dotted one. I would also say not european from the 1. My european raised relatives (who went to school in the early 1900's) all made their 1's kinda like this: /\ . The jacket looks artistic, but she looks so tired, you feel she must have been a scientist working night and day on something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy