Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you show me your US Authentic A-2s

Xopher

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a photo of a really well broken in US Authentic A-2 preferably in russet? From all the pictures I see floating around the internet, it looks like it almost has the color sprayed on in some acrylic like coating, and I was wondering if it looks more like real leather after a few years. I have an unknown brand G1 made in the USA from Id imagine the late 70s or early 80s and it has that strange, fake looking coating sprayed over top and Id really like to stay as far away from that as possible. If it doesn't look at least a little better than the photos on the website, Im not so sure Id feel okay about dropping $500+ on it. However the claims of it being indestructible are enticing (My life entails a lot of working on greasy cars, motorcycles, and carrying tons of firewood, that would probably have most jackets trashed within 2 years)

Thanks all

JB17COT

Familiar Face
I'd be very interested in pictures as well please. Currently considering whether to get their goatskin or russet A2.

Thanks

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I've owned my US Authentic for 2 years, It's a heavy duty jacket, but I'll let you make your mind up about the finish - if the pictures are a help. it's russett horse hide

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Personally, if you're getting a US Authentic - I'd recommend a goatskin. Goatskin is more supple, and is actually longer lasting than horse, and a good deal cheaper. Furthermore, if you get into A2 jackets - USAuthentic is considered the "entry level" for reproductions, and you may want to spend your money on a higher level of horsehide jackets like Eastman or Goodwear. If you don't get into buying A2s, getting a goatskin will save you money and be more comfortable.

Just my 2 cents, a goatskin USAuthentic would be my vote over the horse for practical reasons.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks, I think the russet horshide looks great from your pics. Was considering goatskin at first but was worried the leather might be the opposite (i.e. too light rather then heavy). I've had quite a few people say the same as you and that goatskin is tougher as well though. Difficult choice!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The US Authentic goatskin version is $379, but the HH option adds $100. You might consider checking out the Bill Kelso "house" version. It would run you $500 shipped and it is HH. I have the BK model. It isn't veg-tanned leather, but I find it pretty nice.

IMO, if you are really going to wear it out in two years - why spend $500? You can pick up a beater A-2 on eBay for much less.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Here are a few more shots, with and without flash. Perhaps you can see on my right shoulder and arm some slight scratches. I fell off my bike at about 30mph, I was banged up bad, but the jacket only had a few scratches to add character. So I warrant the horse will be tough.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks a lot, nice photos. Following the advice from most on this website and after further thinking I'm pretty much decided on the goatskin. Makes more sense from a pricing point of view especially given goatskin is generally more robust and ages better. I tend to prefer the color too and I like the idea that it doesn't need to be broken in and "fits" pretty much immediately rather than having to wait for a few years to get in shaped...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a few more shots, with and without flash. Perhaps you can see on my right shoulder and arm some slight scratches. I fell off my bike at about 30mph, I was banged up bad, but the jacket only had a few scratches to add character. So I warrant the horse will be tough.

This jacket seems good value for an entry level A2 which is based on a Wartime Perry Sportwear design.

Peacoat

Bartender
JB: I think the goat would be your best choice. They do take a while to show age and to get that "salty" look, but they are tough. I have a 1962 issue G-1 in goat, and it has developed some nice age to it--creases and wrinkles. Not much patina, but it no longer looks new. I have one or two other jackets in goat that still look new, even though they are many years old. The cow and horse will show their age must faster, and the horse will develop a nice gnarly finish, depending on the type of the hide. I have a Goodwear in horse that is creasing and wrinkling very nicely. I have an Eastman in horse that still has a smooth finish, so it all depends on the type of HH and how it is tanned.

Seb: Those tough Carhart jackets will last a lot longer than a couple of years. The ones I have will all outlive me. But I know what you are saying.

Asienizen You aren't supposed to fall off your bike at any speed, but it looks as though the HH weathered it well. I have seen the same result from a cowhide motorcycle jacket. A friend of mine lost control in a curve and hit the pavement at about 50 MPH. He had a bunch of broken bones, but the jacket didn't have a serious mark on it. He did get some rash on his arms through the jacket from the contact with the pavement, but one couldn't tell that the jacket had hit the pavement at that speed. Both lived to ride again, but I think he retired from riding after that. The motorcycle didn't fare as well: it was totaled.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
"You aren't supposed to fall off your bike at any speed,"
Really, Aw man - why didn't you tell me that before? If I had known that it would have saved me a lot of pain and suffering. I thought horse hide was so tough it could protect me from pulled muscles and bruises. Some of us just gotta learn the hard way.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Thank you so much! These pics are fantastic, exactly what I needed. The HH looks much better after having been broken in. I still have some deciding to do as whether to go with goat skin or HH. For some reason I am still leaning toward the HH, but that might just be because it has that "Oh wow its real horse hide" stigma to it. Just so many options out there

pak

One of the Regulars
Put me in the goatskin camp. I've had a Signature HH A2 from US Wings. This jacket weighed 4.5lbs, was made by Schott and fit very well. The hide and craftsmanship are very good. The reason I got rid of it was because of the weight. I do not ride motorcycles so I don't require all the protection a heavy hide provides. My work requires I wear a lot of stuff and it is heavy so as a result I do not like heavy clothes. Goatskin fits the bill for me.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Xopher, do you have any idea what size you'll go for with USA? I'm thinking 42R. I'm 6"1 and 34" waist. I wear size 40-42 usually. I want to be able to wear layers under the jacket thought and want to avoid it being too short at the back.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I am 6'2", 155lbs, 32" waist, and I actually prefer a 39" suit jacket. But I got my A2 in 40", it is actually a bit too wide in the waist for me, and even too wide in the arms. The back length of the USAuthentic 40 was ok, but the arms were actually a touch long (not enough to make me send it back though). I'm not saying it fits badly, but it was a little on the large side to be ideal.

In my opinion - I think they make their jackets a bit on the baggy side. Can anyone else who owns a USAuthentic confirm or refute this?

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks Asienizen. I've heared several comments that USA's cut is slightly longer than other makers. Some have also said they are a bit baggy in the gut area, although I've also heard from others that USA's cut is long bit trim! So I'm not sure... I took my measurements and sent them to Shaul at USA asking what he thought I should get and he suggested a 44R!! Which seems way to big in my mind. As I mentioned I'd rather a bit bigger than two small (I tend to prefer a slightly looser fit in everything I wear then too tight). I'm about 175lbs so it seems that if the size 40 is slightly large for you then maybe that's what I need to go for... difficult to know! I've got a size 40 (Wested) and it feels way too small - while it looks good, my movements are completly restricted.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Cottus - you're about my height, your only a little heavier than me - a 44 jacket would swallow you (in my opinion). What you can do is get a 40 or a 42, check it out and if it is not the right size, send it back and get the other size. However, I understand that the shipping charges and hassle may be a deterrent. I sent Shaul my measurements, and he told me a 40 would be fine - but I think I should have ordered a 38. His idea of "fine" is baggy in my opinion.

But frankly, unless you have unusually longer arms, or significantly wider shoulders than I do, I think a 40 would do you fine. Every measurement on my jacket is a bit large for me except the back length. I'll see if I can post a picture of me wearing it, but right now with temperatures over 40C - this may be difficult. (remember - I'm no expert, feel free to seek other opinions. This is just my own personal experience).

kasa7

Familiar Face
I am 6'2", 155lbs, 32" waist, and I actually prefer a 39" suit jacket. But I got my A2 in 40", it is actually a bit too wide in the waist for me, and even too wide in the arms. The back length of the USAuthentic 40 was ok, but the arms were actually a touch long (not enough to make me send it back though). I'm not saying it fits badly, but it was a little on the large side to be ideal.

In my opinion - I think they make their jackets a bit on the baggy side. Can anyone else who owns a USAuthentic confirm or refute this?
I'm 5' 9'' 168 lb and I bought a 42R, because I saw in their site : "We follow the true army/navy specifications, and therefore our jackets will fit like a uniform: fitted and trim. With that in mind, if you'd like the uniform look, you should use the same size as your dress-suit. If you like a fuller cut, you should use one size larger."
So, I believe now the 40R should be better for me:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR