Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cant Decide On a Black HJ inde fedora or a regular one

Cabe

New in Town
Need some help . I can't decide on a black indy style Herbert Johnson fedora with a dark gray ribbon, Or a regular Inde fedora. Ive never seen a black HJ fedora on anyone so I dont really know how it will look. The reason I want a black one is becaus I want an indy style hat but I want it to be different at the same time.
Also i dont want to look like a jew . I have nothing against jews but i dont want to walk down the rode and people see my hat and think, Wow he is a jew
Should I go for a Black HJ inde style fedora or stay with origanal one

Also if anyone of you have a black inde style fedora I would love to see it on here

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cabe said:
Need some help . I can't decide on a black indy style Herbert Johnson fedora with a dark gray ribbon, Or a regular Inde fedora. Ive never seen a black HJ fedora on anyone so I dont really know how it will look. The reason I want a black one is becaus I want an indy style hat but I want it to be different at the same time.
Also i dont want to look like a jew . I have nothing against jews but i dont want to walk down the rode and people see my hat and think, Wow he is a jew
Should I go for a Black HJ inde style fedora or stay with origanal one

Also if anyone of you have a black inde style fedora I would love to see it on here

Yeah, I stopped wearing black fedoras when people wouldn't stop asking me complex ethical questions and when I could perform a Bris on their newborn boy & join them for a seudat mitzvah... :D
all seriousness aside, unless you are wedded to having an HJ liner take a look at hornetshats.com. It is claimed they are the same as HJ's at a fraction of the price. Welcome to the Lounge.
BTW "Jew" as a proper noun is capitalized.
Also, I dunno where in ol' Dixie you might be, but even if it is in one of the larger port cities (Charleston, Savannah and New Orleans spring to mind) with a historic Jewish population, I doubt anyone would recognize the trappings of Orthodox Judaism anyway... unless you sport פאות (peyos or side curls). ;)

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
My black AB

I had Steve Delk do a black hat for me a while back, with a generic "Indyish" style to it...

DSC_6039.jpg

No problems with religious misidentification... Lots of compliments!

Cheers,

RC

Goose.

Practically Family
Maybe my black Hampton that is swimming across the pond from Down Under will get different reactions...will keep ya posted.

But I don't recall ever been confused for being Jewish...though my little buddy here, who was baptized into the Church of England, has been mistaken for such.

470374836_bdBHB-S-2.jpg

And, J.T. Marcus, I think you actually wear that hat better than Harry wears his. Nice pic of a handsome lid.

jec

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Maybe my black Hampton that is swimming across the pond from Down Under will get different reactions...will keep ya posted.

But I don't recall ever been confused for being Jewish...though my little buddy here, who was baptized into the Church of England, has been mistaken for such.

470374836_bdBHB-S-2.jpg

Hey Goose -
Is that your gray Casual in this photo? Or something else?

Goose.

Practically Family
jecoe@earthlink said:
Hey Goose -
Is that your gray Casual in this photo? Or something else?
Hey J...
That's my DM Sydney charcoal (for those that may not know, as I didn't until recently, it's the "Fedora" on the HD site).
It's the same hat as in my avatar w/ Charlie Chaplin in the background...but with my "Skyvue" bash. The old crease job (avatar) went high from back to front. Now it is reverse...high from back to front. My poor Sydney has been in its' box since I got the Casual last week :( I REALLY like the Casual.

Anyway, more than you asked, but it is a Sydney.

Here's a pic of the Sydney and Casual for comparison of color. Truth be told, in certain (darker) light, they're hard to tell apart. Since the pic I took the feathers totally off the Sydney and tucked the ones on the Casual way low.

470955193_hottv-S.jpg

Cabe

New in Town
I like the way a black fedora looks too . I was thinking about ordoring my HJ from Magnoli because, well its a HJ and it is Made by
Steve Delk. Is a Magnoli HJ's dependable?[huh] I know Steve Delk usaly is

kiltie

Practically Family
Cabe said:
I like the way a black fedora looks too . I was thinking about ordoring my HJ from Magnoli because, well its a HJ and it is Made by
Steve Delk. Is a Magnoli HJ's dependable?[huh] I know Steve Delk usaly is

It will take at least a few months on the turnaround for this hat. As was stated at the beginning of this thread, if it's an HJ you're looking for, the Christys' Adventurer from Hornets Hats is the way to go; less than half the price. You'd be hardpressed to find a hat that looks more Indy ( has felt that reacts similarly to the hats in the first three movies ). It's good for city wear, etc... Order a size up, put in a spacer, and in a few months it'll fit just right.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0305.jpg

The Adventurer from Hornets is going for about $100 shipped with the current exchange rate, making it a heck of a deal.

HOWEVER, if you plan to do any sort of rough housing in your hat, particularly if you live in the South (US), the Akubras will really last you - at about the same price. They're more rugged, and they look it ( they're not as soft and floppy as the Christys' ), and will take a beating. It'll also be more receptive to the southern climate.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
kabuto said:
I love the casual "I had Delk do a hat a while back."

Translation?: "Two years ago I ordered a hat, I never could get in contact with him, I gave up, but one day it was sitting on my porch."

The way you wrote it sounds like you got on the horn, "Hey Steve, shoot me black one next week, thanks, cheerio, over and out."
Um... It was kind of like you described. I sent an e-mail "can you do a black fedora for me?" He said sure. Sat back, and in around 9 months he contacted me to confirm measurements and specifics. Hat showed up in around 11 months total. I had a great experience. [huh] I even ordered another I one from him, which took around 14 months.

Cheers,

RC

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
RobFedoraField said:
Wow! that's a sharp lookin' hat, how hard is it to keep clean?
I have two golden retrievers, so dog hair can be a problem in my house. I brush the hat (and the dogs) about once a week, and the hat stays pretty clean!

Cheers,

RC

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You could star opposite Debbie.

kabuto said:
I love the casual "I had Delk do a hat a while back."

Translation?: "Two years ago I ordered a hat, I never could get in contact with him, I gave up, but one day it was sitting on my porch."

The way you wrote it sounds like you got on the horn, "Hey Steve, shoot me black one next week, thanks, cheerio, over and out."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Black is tricky.

I do a black porkpie that's a rebashed Stetson Saxon, narrow-brimmed, and a carbon grey Fed that's been cut to a 2 3/8 brim.
3284717603_57a04117a3.jpg
3285536876_c035e96216.jpg

But I can't hack anything black AND wide-brimmed. With my heavy dark eyebrows, I would look like pulp illustrations of The Shadow.
the_shadow_2.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw