Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cappellificio Cervo - Opinions?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Bud-n-Texas said:
My thought exactly, an opinion according to Webster is " a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter " . Now I ask, how could an opinion not be bias? doh :rolleyes:

Look i can use the dictionary too!

Bias \Bi"as\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Biased (b[imac]"ast); p. pr. & vb. n. Biasing.]

To incline to one side; to give a particular direction to; to influence; to prejudice; to prepossess.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From My experience the best commercially made hat is Akubra. That was the last one I bought new about three years ago. It is made well from good material and is finished better than any other brand in my opinion.I went to Worth and Worth a couple of years ago and was interested in buying a Cervo. I held it and tried it on but I did not buy it. There was something that I felt about the hat that seemed as though it would not make it through a heavy rain or snow. The Akubra has been in both and has come out not too bad it took a year or so to get a slight taper in the crown, however the felt is still soft and piable and the sweat band has not shrunk. I also hear that Beaver Brand has also stepped up to make a better hat and offers models with open crowns and made to order dimentions for self styling,although I have not bought one.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
From My experience the best commercially made hat is Akubra. That was the last one I bought new about three years ago. It is made well from good material and is finished better than any other brand in my opinion.I went to Worth and Worth a couple of years ago and was interested in buying a Cervo. I held it and tried it on but I did not buy it. There was something that I felt about the hat that seemed as though it would not make it through a heavy rain or snow. The Akubra has been in both and has come out not too bad it took a year or so to get a slight taper in the crown, however the felt is still soft and piable and the sweat band has not shrunk. I also hear that Beaver Brand has also stepped up to make a better hat and offers models with open crowns and made to order dimentions for self styling,although I have not bought one.

that's great info. thanks a lot

Perhaps we need a definiton of the word used in the thread title:
Opinion:
1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM
2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view
3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based
:rolleyes:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be honest, what's bugging me, and I expect some others, about this
thread is not that the word "opinion" is misused. What sticks in my craw
is that people are spending a lot of time carefully composing messages
containing sincere, substantive attempts to answer Vermifuge's query.
In response, Vermifuge dashes out responses that appear to me
to be condescending and disrespectful. The people who are
responding offer considerable knowledge and I am impressed by their
manners and patience.

One of the things I value most about The Fedora Lounge
is the time and effort members put into their posts. That's
what inspires me to take the time to create the posts and photos
I add to the site, a small way to return the favor. I hate to see
someone take advantage of that generosity. Here's to those fine
members. :cheers1:

My apologies for the frank and literal response. And yeah, it's
just my opinion... ;) I'm moving on to
more rewarding exchanges on this fine site.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I can understand how my words can be misinterpreted. Emotion, sineity and deliver are hard to convey over the internet. You have obviously already formed an opinion of me and thus you are reading that into my posts. Art, Besdor, and Douglas have all provided me with invaluable information. I tired to acknowledge this fact. Somehow my words have been misinterpreted again, but I assure you my thanks were genuine.

JP is VERY set on Art’s hats. And this entire thread has been about JP insinuating I get a “custom” hat other then Optimo because they are too expensive. And you know I may one day still get a hat from Art. But all I wanted to know if the quality in CC hats has been maintained. The answers seems to be no, though by reading between the lines the hat wouldn’t be disappointing.

I’m collecting hats. I would love a selection that spans cultures, styles and talents that are considered to be of the best available today. So when I ask if this is the case I’m looking for unbiased answers to these questions. JP is very biased in that only a vintage reproduction is the only way to go….. to me that is obtuse, and limiting. I want variety.

The question of quality.

Hi Ver!

I think the thing is that we haven't found anyone yet with actual hands on experience for these hats that is current. Untill they show up at the store and Besdor can handle them and give a rating, we won't really know.

In comparison for most current makers, the selection of hat bodies and the levels of quality has decreased since the hay days of hats and therefore it is easy to say go Vintage for the best quality. Next is the custom makers who select the best they can get and give attention to detail as to provide an outstanding hat. If you aks about current manufacturers, you will find some heirarchy in general, but because of currrent selection , styles and manufacturing procceses they won't be as good as vintage and will fall in varying degrees below custom.

You asked if the Italian company has held their standards, that we'll know when they get checked out by Besdor. But the reality is for most companies that they haven't and if this one has, we will all be delighted with the news!

I am looking forward to hearing about them and hope as always for good news.

Best wishes,

Fedorista

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Hi Ver!

I think the thing is that we haven't found anyone yet with actual hands on experience for these hats that is current. Untill they show up at the store and Besdor can handle them and give a rating, we won't really know.

You musta missed this

Vermifuge:

"You will of coarse understand if hold out for an opinion from someone who has had recent hands on experience however."

jamespowers:

"I just got one last year. Recent enough?

Regards,

J"

Fedorista said:
You musta missed this

Vermifuge:

"You will of course understand if hold out for an opinion from someone who has had recent hands on experience however."

jamespowers:
"I just got one last year. Recent enough?

I missed it or didn't recall reading it.

James is very knowledgeable and his opinion counts for a lot, but I am also interested in Besdor's when he get to see them, too.

MattC

A-List Customer
Bought a Cervo a couple of years ago

from Worth and Worth, and I was disappointed. I tend to like vintage hats best, but I have a few new Borsalinos (2 worked out very well, one is a mess), a few new customs (both Optimo and Art, and they are all great hats). The Cervo was a gorgeous color, and, while thin and a bit stiff, seemed like a decent felt. The liner was nice as well. But the hat just did not hold up. It shrunk in the rain, and I had a lot of trouble getting it to keep its shape. I can't reccomend it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Cervo Hats

Matt C mentioned a problem with Cervo hats shrinking in the rain . They were usiing smaller bodies and stretching them . In the rain the hats folded up . I was told that this will not happen again . We will have to see when the samples arrive.

Steven

metropd

One Too Many
I don't know why so many people have a problem with cervo, I have never had a bad experence with them. worth and worth have only given me great service and Guerra and barbisio are better even though it seems as if they are now owned by cervo( I could be wrong on that specificaly). Anyways I love guerra hats and almost anyone whoes owned one knows there better than almost every mass company and I have not found a better production fedora not even biltmore.(althought biltmore is a great company the thing is the make very great quality has and poor quality hats. They have to survive in niche market so I understand biltmores marketing

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Cervo is the name of the factory in Biella Italy. They own the name Barbisio since 1985 when the original factory closed . Guerra is a seperate factory that is the size of a closet (not joking) . I'm not sure if they make all of their own hats .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Pietro

New in Town
Cervo Help Needed

I have a fantastic Cervo hat. It has a stiff brim, which I like. Others on this thread have complained that their Cervos didn't hold up in the rain, but that isn't an issue with me, as I live in California where it doesn't rain often.

My wife gave me the Cervo six years ago, and it's still holding up fairly well. I get all kinds of compliments on it from strangers.

I took it to a hat shop in Oakland to have it cleaned, and they told me it is a rare hat with a short crown, wide brim, and narrow band.

I'm dying to replace it but cannot find any Cervo vendors. Miss Dussom, who used to sell them in her shop in San Francisco, no longer carries Cervos. Can anyone steer me to a shop that sells Cervos?

chesty

New in Town
Just purchased a super Cervo hat in navy blue" very elegant hat", was apprehesive about purchasing a cervo sine I generally wear Guerra and Borsalino hats but I can say this is an excellent addition to my collection.The Hat guys in Oakland CA sells Cervo Hats.
Chesty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy