Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caps

I never have seen one. As long as it is one color that would be ok. ;) That might be an interesting use to give new life to vintage hats that have holes or such things. Turn a junk fedora into a cool newsboy. I can see it now. "This used to be a Borsalino with holes but now it is my newsboy." I think I actually found a use for stingy brims. :p

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Go for it, guys! I love those old soft hats and if they could be turned into newsboy caps, I would certainly be interested in buying one.

You could use the same material to cover the button on top. Gotta have a button.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
K.D. you and ITG need to start making bicycle seats! You see that shape in the oddest things.

As for the felt newsboy cap… Sorry to do this boys and gals but, I’m sure that felt isn’t the best of choices. Fedoras may hold a block and they can be shapeable, but I feel that it would be too stiff to really work right. Fur felt as you know can’t be creased to lay flat with out cracking and damage to the felt. The caps of the 20’s to the 40’s were made of wool or cotton. Wool tweed, wool Calvary twill, worsted wool, wool flannel and so on.

The type of felt that was used in fedoras was designed to stand up and to be strong in weather. The popular 1 to 8 piece caps from the depression were rugged, but draped and were a little floppy. Watch any film from the 30’s that show golfers, news boys, blue collared workers and you’ll see what I mean.

I’m not against the idea of breathing life into old beat up fedoras, but, if they have holes, wouldn’t the cap have them too? It takes more fabric then you may think to make one cap. More then one old fedora would have for sure! What the youngsters in the 30’s and 40’s did with Dad’s old hat was turn them into beanies like the type with a crowned ridge like you see in the 40’s or 50’s then covered in buttons and pin-backs of their favorite radio shows and comic book heroes.

Art, help me out on this!

Root.

D

Deleted member 259

A little late into the thread...

catpic041.jpg

Terrible picture but thats my Newsies cap, I have one in brown too.

catpic044.jpg

And thats to redeem the awful picture above.

renor27

One of the Regulars
What would a summer cap in say 1938 be made of?

Have really enjoyed this thread and know that wool was used for some caps. They are just what I am looking for to keep my head covered and still keep with the working class blue collar look I am going with. Only have a few months of winter left so already thinking about a summer cap. What matterial was used for summer caps was it a wool or silk or somthing else?
David Kerr

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone see the Tsunami aid concert last Saturday? There were famous Hollywood stars personing the phones. One of them was Johnny Depp wearing a classic black newsboy cap. He was wearing it in traditional style, low, rakish, and facing front. Now I want one, in black.

Maybe that will get some folks wearing those hats again.

Re your question, Renor27: I think they had cotton hats, or maybe silk or light wool. Probably they wore lighter colors in the summer. Some of the folks out there may know for sure. There are lots of those newsboy/poorboy/golf caps at the Village Hat Shop here in San Diego. I like the feel of the corduroy but they are soft and collapse more than the wool. They have light summery looking caps, some have mesh or breathing holes in them.

You can check them out on their website, www.villagehatshop.com

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes Matt, that is the stuff. Ok, for any one who may care to know or wants to know, these are the fabrics that these caps were made of.

Wool, Linen and Cotton.

That's all.

Root.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I tried on those Big Apple hats that Village Hat Shop sells. The linen feel is great; I just wish they sold them in smaller sizes than the Big Apple, which is a 12-inch hat rather than the standard size.

Maybe they will have more selections in linen as spring approaches.

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was asked a question on caps recently and though I would refresh this thread.

In the premiere issue of Classic Style there is a one piece cap worn by one off the models. It's very large and it is vintage. Ralph Lauren is currently selling an exact replica of the cap with a modern fabric sweatband.

The cap is not online though is in the higher end Polo shops. If you go looking, mention you saw it in the magazine.

Hope that helps those on the lookout for a big cap.

I'll post pics of the Ralph one next time i stop in the shop.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Hannah Hats

Does anybody have an opinion on Hannah Hats from Ireland? I have a Newsboy cap I bought made by them, which seems well made. My only complaint with it is that "large" seems more like "extra large", so its a bit looser than I care for.

I can't recall now where I got it.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I recently bought a Donegal Tweed 8 panel made in Ireland. I love it. I like the look with my A-2 jacket or even a more modern looking Carhart type work jacket.

My 2 cents.

Salv

One Too Many
BigSleep said:
I recently bought a Donegal Tweed 8 panel made in Ireland. I love it. I like the look with my A-2 jacket or even a more modern looking Carhart type work jacket.

My 2 cents.

I regularly wear my brown wool 8-piece cap with a Carhartt Detroit jacket.
J01_cbn_xl.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Pat_H said:
Does anybody have an opinion on Hannah Hats from Ireland? I have a Newsboy cap I bought made by them, which seems well made. My only complaint with it is that "large" seems more like "extra large", so its a bit looser than I care for.

I can't recall now where I got it.
I like it!
My wife bought me one at a little Irish shop in Mystic, CT. The cap sizes do seem to run big. I had to ignore the label to find one that fit correctly.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Most of the Irish caps run big . We have a large selection of caps from Jonathan Richards and they were fantastic sellers for Christmas . The problem is that they run big. People ordered a certain size and we had to exchange a lot of them. That the problem with mail order .
My favorite newsboy caps are the Borsalino caps . They run true to size and are not as floppy.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy