Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans for casual gentlemen

Edward

Bartender
£204!!!! How can a relatively modern C&A cardigan sell for more than most of the beautiful old suits we see posted on the FL?

Supply and demand - yay capitalism! ;)

I've had an intense hatred of any kind of wool "sweater" since childhood; that and cords. I think I was scarred by my mother sending me to school in cords and sweaters (probably a few were cardigans). Looking back on it, my mom and dad were masters of classic style, so I probably looked dapper as hell, but the problem is kids are extremely cruel and anything different gets mercilessly teased. Plus I hated the "vvtt, vvtt, vvtt" sound of walking in corduroy trousers.

Ha, I always loved that sound. I hear you on the teasing, though. I was mercilessly mocked any time I was seen in corduroys; put me off them for years too. My folks I think like that I've come back to them - though they do rather despise the ruby hue of my favourite pair. lol I also recall a Pringle sweater for which my mother probably paid a lot of money. I hated it. Both the silly logo embroidered on the sleeve, and the blocky pattern on the front (it was the late Eighties/ turn of the Nineties, and very much of its time. I also much preferred living in army surplus gear as much as I could back then, something my parents, for whose generation that was a sign of being utterly unable to afford anything else, never could quite grasp as a deliberate fashion choice). I recall putting up a real fuss on every occasion on which I was sent out in it. Lacking the nerve to outright refuse to wear it again, or to cospire to lose or destroy it, I do recall on separate occasions wearing it as far as out of sight of the house before it was stuffed in a bag, or refusing to remove the coat from over the top of it all day. Several times I either froze or boiled rather than wear or reveal that hated sweater. I didn't object to sweaters n general, but that one I surely loathed! lol

Looking at these fantastic cardigans, especially the shawl collars, I'm thinking it may be time to overcome my hatred of "sweaters" and get a DB wool cardigan with shawl collar :D

Do it! I love a shawl collared card as an alternative to a blazer in the depths of Winter. Goes better under a B15 / Irvin / B3 / WHY, but looks that little bit "dressier" for office wear, as you can still easily wear a tie under one. Also easily unbuttoned should you get a little warm, and more easily slipped off altogether than a sweater (handy should you require to visit the Smallest Office for, you know, a deuce, and are wearing braces....).

Metatron

One Too Many
I've got a question: Is 100% cotton knitwear a relatively modern concept? I have never seen a 100% cotton sweater in vintage catalogues, only mixed with wool.

I just saw one of these in Sainsbury's. Not bad - decent heavy outer and reasonable £32 price tag. Pity about the fabric content, and the fleece would be easily removable, I think. Also a pity they don't make them small enough, predictably.

I've just picked up a rather nice shawl collar, button front cardigan in (of all places) Sainsburys supermarket. Light grey, with a black snowflakey pattern over the shoulders. Very classic look in the outside; inside it is lined with some sort of nylon/poly in the sleeves, and modern, man-made fleece type fabric in he body.

Edward

Bartender
I just saw one of these in Sainsbury's. Not bad - decent heavy outer and reasonable £32 price tag. Pity about the fabric content, and the fleece would be easily removable, I think. Also a pity they don't make them small enough, predictably.

I wore mine out yesterday - I can't see me being in a hurry to remove the fleece interior this Winter!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great thread. Look forward to Duluth trading dropping prices on that shawl cardigan, freezing here until then or until I can escape to warmer environs .

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adjustable Costume

P1090406.JPG

carldelo

One Too Many
I thought I'd post a new shawl-collar cardigan from J Peterman:

http://www.jpeterman.com/Shop-Ireland/Donegal-Cardigan

The sweater looks pretty good - but the real news is that they've actually included enlargeable PHOTOS of the 'web exclusive' items in the new 'Shop Ireland' section. Hopefully they'll get enough good feedback to start using photos of the regular items, even if you have to click a rendering to get to the photo.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I really like the shawl cardigan, not just because it's a relic of 1920s style, but because it is pushing aside the memory of the "Late 20th Century Grampa" cardigan, with its acrylic waffle weave and bright pseudo-golfing colors, which tried to appear casual but was just stodgy.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I saw someone wearing a sweater that looked almost identical to this one in a movie from the 1930s - he was a tough-guy type, wearing it with a flat cap - can't remember the movie, though. I like the high closing button and the straight hem so it can hang like a jacket.

MSW1728_OM100.jpg

I saw someone wearing a sweater that looked almost identical to this one in a movie from the 1930s - he was a tough-guy type, wearing it with a flat cap - can't remember the movie, though. I like the high closing button and the straight hem so it can hang like a jacket.

MSW1728_OM100.jpg

That is one great cardigan.

Randy

Familiar Face
MSW4109-CHAR-large.jpg

Yes it looks nice.

I'd be all over that if I saw it locally - that's one nice looking sweater! Since they do not seem that popular around here, and because I'm a tad particular regarding style, I only have about 5 to choose from in my wardrobe but I do wear them regularly (I have one on today :) )

- Randy

I'd be all over that if I saw it locally - that's one nice looking sweater! Since they do not seem that popular around here, and because I'm a tad particular regarding style, I only have about 5 to choose from in my wardrobe but I do wear them regularly (I have one on today :) )

- Randy

Nice cardigan however I tend to lose things with the side pockets. LOL, so I am parcial to the square front deep pocket style.
Best regards
CCJ

carldelo

One Too Many
This ... and this ... Are the same sweater. The first just showed the pockets wrong.:)

This is clearly not the case, look a little more closely. The collars are different heights and the sweaters are different lengths - just look at the relative position of the sleeve cuffs to the waist. The first has buttons through the placket (except for the top, off-center button) while the second has buttons with loops off to the side all the way down the front. The first has a straight waist, the second has a ribbed waist; the pockets are completely different, side-entry vs top entry. I think it's common knowledge that the "sketches" on the J Peterman website are actually digital photos that have been processed to make them look like sketches, so there isn't any way to get the pockets "wrong" in the way you mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97