Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carnation in lapel?

armod

Familiar Face
carnations usually give me the connotation of this gentleman
1877605966_d8abb720dc.jpg

although I'll admit to considering some orchids as lapel adornments
orchid-300.jpg
orchid1.jpg

I guess it all depends on what suits your suit.
much like selecting a pocket square.
to match color or contrast textures.

I suppose one will need to have some skills to make it work to its full potential

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thought this was interesting from CB's Black Tie Guide guide linked page:

"• Boutonniere (Optional)

A boutonniere (buttonhole in UK) is traditionally worn in the buttonhole on the left lapel of the dinner jacket. The Encyclopedia of Men’s Clothes advises that men seeking to add this classic flare to their black-tie outfit will require a flower that is small yet sturdy. It should not be “clown size", nor should it disintegrate while wearing. Strict social etiquette dictates a choice from only four “correct” flowers: a blue cornflower, a red or white carnation or a gardenia.

Note that flowers such as standard carnations cannot be simply purchased from a shop and inserted into a lapel because the bud is usually too thick to fit through the buttonhole. To ensure that such flowers fit properly, request that they be adapted into true boutonnieres. A florist will remove the bud, wrap the stem and even level the base of the flower all so that the bloom sits flat against the lapel.

Remembering that boutonniere is French for “button hole” will help you remember that these flowers are inserted through the lapel, not pinned on top of it. Also keep in mind that a boutonniere is not a miniature bouquet: the stereotypical accoutrements of baby’s breath, leafy stems and colored berries belong at a wedding, not at a black-tie gala.

Boutonnieres are not worn with decorations. And to avoid gilding the lily (so to speak), it is also best not to combine them with pocket squares unless one or both are white."

I've seen gardenias that are pretty big flowers compared to something like a bachelor's button (which we grow here)...

Groupe G

New in Town
chanteuseCarey said:
"And to avoid gilding the lily (so to speak), it is also best not to combine them with pocket squares unless one or both are white."

This is important. Gentlemen should eschew pocket squares altogether when wearing a buttonhole, as they distract from the attractiveness of the flower.

As important is the size of the buttonhole. As others have pointed out, size matters. Gentlemen should wear buttonholes of a size as to be nicely framed by the edges of the lapel, so that the fabric thereof might be seen. The gardenia pictured on Mr Astaire, above, is a perfect example. The modern photograph of the modern fellow strikes one as a touch too large for good 1930s taste. And he needs the attention of a barber at the earliest opportunity, though I digress.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Groupe G said:
This is important. Gentlemen should eschew pocket squares altogether when wearing a buttonhole, as they distract from the attractiveness of the flower.

About handkerchiefs and weeds worn together ....(well it's the truth,isnt it, kind of...) [huh]

You know what, at the end of the day,when all is said and done if you've got style, you can dare. In this 1932 photo of a gala event,you see that Gloria Swanson's friend wears a pocket square and boutonniere(red carnation apparently), sometimes deemed to busy in combination, and it looks just fine.

1932_Gloria_Swanson_at_theatre_Gett.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^

Exactly many factors come into play however it is more about a personal style and not necessarily fashion. Style and fashion are two different things. Style is more of how mix clothes to present your personality and not to mention your best features.

A person has to be comfortable in their own skin and how they dress.

davestlouis

Practically Family
At the funeral home all of the pallbearers wear a white carnation on the lapel, partially to dress them up a smidge, partially so the funeral directors can locate and identify the pallbearers if they wander off. At the conclusion of the graveside service, the pallbearers remove the carnations and place them on the casket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
At the funeral home all of the pallbearers wear a white carnation on the lapel, partially to dress them up a smidge, partially so the funeral directors can locate and identify the pallbearers if they wander off. At the conclusion of the graveside service, the pallbearers remove the carnations and place them on the casket.

harry_cohn_1958_0303_frank_q_brown.jpg

David V

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
........ if you must wear something [huh] try a gardenia instead!
Menswear designer Tom Ford, often wears a fresh gardenia in the lapel of his double breasted tuxedo.

PJ-AM522_ASKTER_20080604183315.jpg

That is just too large for a man to wear.

Small flowers like miniature carnations make excellent everyday boutonnieres.

A single edged razor makes quick work of closed lapel button holes.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Many Welsh people wear one or both of the national emblems of Wales on their lapel to celebrate St. David: the daffodil (a generic Welsh symbol which is in season during March) or the leek (Saint David's personal symbol) on this day. The association between leeks and daffodils is strengthened by the fact that they have similar names in Welsh, Cenhinen (leek) and Cenhinen Bedr (daffodil).

wearing%20leeks.jpg

"Yaki Da"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yep. On March 1st in Kentucky, the Welsh would wear leeks, to honor their ancient tradition of leek-wearing. And the Scots-Irish would punch them in the nose, to honor their ancient tradition of nose-punching. lol

Alexi

One of the Regulars
"Let's just say he wasn't taken with the flower so much as those who wore it. And I don't mean the St. Patrick's Day paraders."

I've heard that the green carnation was popular with oscar wilde and like gentleman, liberal and of a certain persuasion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn