Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carnation in lapel?

Levallois

Practically Family
How many of you wear a carnation (or other flower) in your lapel on occasion? If you do, is it real or (gasp) fake? Do you just stop in a flower-shop and buy a single flower? Keep a bunch on hand? Grow them yourself? I like this look but would love to hear others experiences. Thanks!

John

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
But of Course!

I love to wear a boutonnière in my lapel.
I normally just stop into the flower shop and buy a single flower and make it a boutonnière my self at home.
The biggest obstacle has been getting the hole cut in the lapel. Most suits no longer have one and one has to get one sewn in. Then most tailors are afraid to open the hole up, they say just a little for the pin, I say no, all the way for a flower. They just look in disbelief and I usually have to finish cutting it at home. sigh.
And Binkie, yes their are some color codes meanings. Most I am aware of deal with formal / semi-formal wear

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I used to MC dances at NY Swing Dance Society back in the 80's and 90's I would wear my vintage double breasted tux (with different colored bow ties and a cummerbund and all sorts of stuff I'd never do now since I KNOW BETTER ;) ) I used to stop off at a florist on my way and get a red carnation, cut off the bottom foot and a half of stem, and pin it to my lapel. I was Mr Cool personified.
P.S. And always remember what Soupy Sales used to say: "Show me a country with pink automobiles, and I'll show you a pink car nation. Now what do we mean by that, right gang?"

Dashing1

New in Town
In regards to the "fake" portion of your question...

I have seen a few old pics of classic, upscale menswear that referred to the use of a feather flower as boutonniere. I would love to find a few in various colors and in the right size, as I recall them looking good and would like to have a backup for days that a trip to the florist just can't be scheduled.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Vanessa said:
If you gentlemen always get a bouquet for your date, you'll always have a lapel flower. :D

Aye, I never put a flower in my lapel on my own, but whenever I pick flowers for a young lady, I somehow always end up with one in my lapel :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I wear a flower sometimes, but I wish it was like the old days (as depicted in old movies, anyway) where there was a flower vendor on every corner and a flower could be had for a pittance and slipped right into the button hole.

NYC has lots of fresh flowers available at corner markets and such, but they don't sell single flowers, so a visit to a florist is required and the cost adds up.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My local grocery store has a floral department, and the manager has given me carte blanche to steal individual flowers for my lapel whenever I wish. I try not to abuse the privilege, but it's nice knowing that I can just run in quickly on my way to the office every once in a while.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
........ if you must wear something [huh] try a gardenia instead!
Menswear designer Tom Ford, often wears a fresh gardenia in the lapel of his double breasted tuxedo.

PJ-AM522_ASKTER_20080604183315.jpg

Sean1982

New in Town
I often wear a red carnation, in fact I have been for the last few days (they last about 4 if you put them in water at night). Cost 50p from a florist I was passing in Stoke Newington, North London.

It can be hard to find a carnation (not in fashion), or individual flowers at all now. Sadly the local florist does not have carnations, so I sometimes get a coloured flower, the one that looks like a ginat diasy crossed with small sunflower (nicer than it sounds)!

When I wear black tie to Glyndebourne (s summer opera festival in the UK), I call into the florists in Lewes who make me up a proper buttonhole (the wire and leaf etc, but with a white carnation usually). Also have button holes made from time to time if I pass competent looking florists. About £1 to £1.50

P.S: Most of my suits are vintage Savile Row, so all have working buttonholes, most with a little strap to keep the flower stem in place on the back of the lapel.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
All but one of my suits and jackets have functioning button holes, though no straps at the back. Ironically my one which has no button hole is my most vintage one, but a casual sport coat. I had to get some fake button holes opened up by a friend with a seam splitter though.

When I find a chance to wear black tie I wear one, usually just going into the garden and taking whichever flower catches my eye.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I never have, but I've considered it. I have five large rose bushes in the back garden, I may take one off next time they're blooming to try it.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

There is a colour code, at least for roses - I guess must be applicable to other varieties of flower. Out of my head, red is for love; yellow, friendship; orange, passion; there are more.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
When we were at the black tie dinner at the vintage themed Yosemite Heritage Holidays in March, our son Daniel and I snitched him a mauve carnation from one of the Great Room's big flower arrangements. He got several positive comments that evening from the Art Deco Society gentlemen about it. Still need to find him a proper men's tussy mussy. Some of the Deco gents seem to always wear one at events, always looks very sharp. We have over 100 antique and modern rose bushes here, and cottage garden plants too so getting a rose or other flower for a lapel is easy to find here all year round. One time Daniel wore a love- in-the-mist flower in his buttonhole and it looked really nice for a change of pace. Husband Chuck for several years now has made my corsage for wearing to church on Mother's Day, so he can make up a proper wedding type buttoniere if that is better suited for the occassion than a lapel flower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy