Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carri Lite Felt

rrog

A-List Customer
I've been wanting a beater hat for daily and/or work wear, so I bought a Carri Lite Felt hat from the Knox Farmer's Coop today in Knoxville, TN. Inside it says "Made in the USA*Packable*Water Repellent and underneath that it says "The Original." Has anyone ever heard of this particular brand of hat? When I Google "Carri Lite Felt," nothing really comes up. I get a lot of Bailey Lite Felt hits, but nothing about Carri. Is Carri just the store brand for the Farmer's Coop?

It wasn't expensive and while intended as a beater hat, I'm still curious if anyone has any experience with the durability of this hat. I've heard the horror stories about wool felt... shrinks two sizes, color runs, etc. Are these really true? I don't intend to baby this hat, so I'd like to think I haven't wasted my money on a hat that will only be around for one season! So give it to me straight, doc, I can take it. Do I have more than one year left?

Thanks for the input,
rrog

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That's a new one on me, friend. But I haven't bought any woolies in a while. The ones I do have (Broner, Bailey and no-names) have all held up well to rough wear. A couple have faded a little but didn't shrink, run, taper, burst into flames, cause erectile dysfunction, sell secrets to the enemy, or any of the other reputedly nasty things that sort of stigmatize these serviceable lids.

But just in case, G'luck!

rrog

A-List Customer
Not saying it's me... but if a certain fellow suffered from any of the above-mentioned maladies, then that certain fellow couldn't blame it on the hat, right?!? :eusa_doh:

rrog

airspirit

New in Town
I bought my first hat the other day, a Bailey LiteFelt, with the idea I'd eventually use it as a rain hat when I could get my hands on a "real" hat. I'm curious why so many people here hate wool hats so much when to the untrained eye in certain cuts they don't have too much visual distinction from a fur hat but seem so much hardier to abuse.

Anyone care to educate me? I honestly would like some insight.

rrog

A-List Customer
I'd like to hear that answer too. I know that fur felt is just better quality, sort of like leather vs. pleather. But is it possible, just maybe, that it's a status thing too? If I had a different BMW, Lexus or Cadillac for each day of the week, then I would probably never drive my Dodge again, unless I was going to be on a muddy, washed out road. But not everyone can afford a BMW, Lexus or Cadillac for each day of the week. That's why you see more Dodges on the road. Just a thought.

It's funny though. Just last night I asked my wife which hat she liked the best. I have four Stetsons (1 new and 3 vintage off eBay), one oilskin outback hat and the new Carri Lite Felt. And understand that she knows nothing about fur quality or even the qualities of fur vs. wool vs. my old oilskin outback hat. She said the one she liked the best was my new Carri Lite Felt hat that I bought the other day. Go figure.

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace