Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casting a new "Maltese Falcon"

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Not surprising I suppose Wolf. Bogart was just so damn good in the original everyone thinks Sam Spade was just like Bogart in looks :)
I bought someone a copy for Christmas and watched it before I wrapped it....Had to go out and buy myself another copy when I'd seen it, along with other Bogart films. Also getting hooked by Peter Lorre now....
I dread to think what a remake will be like....Or of Casablanca (they've done a few remakes of that one, all dire).
Who would make a good modern Sam Spade?........

Jeff.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
interesting notion

Bogart's Spade looms large in our minds. That makes it hard to remake "The Maltese Falcon" even though parts of the book were left out. Same thing goes for another Hammett story. Powell's Thin Man is different from the book somewhat but now Powell IS Nick Charles. Anbody's version of these character would be compared to Bogart and Powell (and Loy).
I, personally, think an anthology of Dashell Hammett should produced for television. Aside from "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Thin Man" remake "The Glass Key" and film "Red Harvest" and some Continental Op stories. Make them as accurate to the books as possible. When people compare them to the movies , the producers can say they just trying to be true to Hammett's stories.

That's my two cents,
The Wolf

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Raindog wrote:
Not surprising I suppose Wolf. Bogart was just so damn good in the original everyone thinks Sam Spade was just like Bogart in looks

Did you know that the Bogart version was actually the third remake of the film. There were two before it, but of course Bogart's is the best.

Raindog said:
Not surprising I suppose Wolf. Bogart was just so damn good in the original everyone thinks Sam Spade was just like Bogart in looks :)
I bought someone a copy for Christmas and watched it before I wrapped it....Had to go out and buy myself another copy when I'd seen it, along with other Bogart films. Also getting hooked by Peter Lorre now....
I dread to think what a remake will be like....Or of Casablanca (they've done a few remakes of that one, all dire).
Who would make a good modern Sam Spade?........

Jeff.

Yep, can't beat Peter Lorre.

I can think of no other actor who made a child molester/child murderer character so sympathetic. Whenever i think child molester, i think Peter Lorre (in Fritz Lang's "M"). One of the greatest movies of all time ... made before Lorre moved to hollywood

bk

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Giovanni Ribisi would be perfect for Wilmer. He's even got the personality.

Hammett described Spade as having a face akin to the Devil's, only blonde...complete with widow's peak. Not too many popular male blondes in Hollywood right now, especially with that hairline. Tall, dark and handsome seems to be the norm.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Just FYI.
I was at my local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had The Maltese Falcon DVD available for $5.00.
If you don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t already have the DVD now is a good time to run over there and see if the Wal-Mart near you has it. (Sorry to those of you out side of the US)
Regards,
Forrestal

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
There's a blond actor playing James Bond, so I suppose there is hope for Sam Spade.

Actually, casting a blond actor in the part and sticking to the original book might be best, to avoid comparisons with Bogart and Co.

karol

Feraud

Bartender
Interesting thread. As much as I dislike remakes, it is fun to speculate.
The Wingnut's casting of Giovanni Ribisi as Wilmer is perfect. Did anyone mention Steve Buscemi as Joel Cairo?
As for Sam Spade, Bogie will always come to mind. Just for fun, how about
Guy Pearce? If you did not see Memento you should. Great film. I think Pearce has the looks and acting ability to portray the moral ambiguity of the lead character.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I don't think "The Maltese Falcon" should ever be remade (I have nightmares of someone getting the "brilliant" idea to do a comed version with with Adam Sandler as Spade, Sarah Silverman as Bridgid, and Larry the Cable Guy as Gutman), but I'd love to see a new version of "Laura" with the following cast...

Det. MacPherson: George Clooney
Laura: Catherine Zeta-Jones
Waldo Lydecker: Nathan Lane
Shelby: Johnny Depp
Ann Treadwell: Meryl Streep

Feraud

Bartender
Michael Mallory said:
I don't think "The Maltese Falcon" should ever be remade (I have nightmares of someone getting the "brilliant" idea to do a comed version with with Adam Sandler as Spade, Sarah Silverman as Bridgid, and Larry the Cable Guy as Gutman), but I'd love to see a new version of "Laura" with the following cast...

Det. MacPherson: George Clooney
Laura: Catherine Zeta-Jones
Waldo Lydecker: Nathan Lane
Shelby: Johnny Depp
Ann Treadwell: Meryl Streep
What a coincidence. I am reading this post and have Laura sitting on my desk. I am going to watch it tonight (again)..btw, nice casting choice for Laura but three-fourths of that group might spoil the film with all the 'preening' they would do! :) ;)
If anyone ever remakes The Maltese Falcon, or any such great film, by casting Adam Sandler then I know it is time for me to check out !! :eek: Imho, that guy is seriously unfunny..

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
two thoughts

1. Michael, it is ironic you should mention remaking "Laura". A while ago when I saw it with my wife and friend we agreed that we hope it is never remade. It is so good as it is. I think Lydecker would become more obvious and annoying and the door being answered by a lady in negligee (wasn't it?) would be more R or at least PG13. These are all assumptions, of course.

2. Bad news, Feraud, Adam Sandler remade "Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington" except he was kind of a man/child prone to violence which is suppose to funny. I think he played that in another movie, too.

The Wolf

Feraud

Bartender
The Wolf said:
2. Bad news, Feraud, Adam Sandler remade "Mr. Deeds Goes to Washington" except he was kind of a man/child prone to violence which is suppose to funny. I think he played that in another movie, too.

The Wolf
Oh geez, I totally forgot about that one!! Glad I missed it. Was that the one with Winona Ryder? All my siblings (except me) find his brand of "man/child prone to violence" (a perfect description of his "acting" style!) hilarious. [huh] Sandler apparently plays that same idiotic character in all his films. There was one movie where he tried 'serious acting'. Punch Drunk Love was one of the worst piece of garbage I had ever seen!

Back to topic. I usually hate remakes but it is nothing new in Hollywood. If there appears to be a market and a star for the vehicle, someone will remake it. The best we can hope for is a serious attempt at filmmaking on behalf of the producers of such films.
I am checking out now! ;)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow! Having deja vu and amnesia at the same time..... just finished watching Laura on DVD and my date and I were talking about changing up the casting and who could play the different roles...
Pretty much struck out on the Lydecker part. Couldn't think of anyone, except maybe Johnny Depp, who could maybe do it.
Russell Crowe as McPherson was a nod to L.A. Confidential and the almighty boxoffice.
Interesting thread, although I confess to a full body cringe when I think of how badly Hollywood typically mangles re-makes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari