Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Fedora: from T-Shirt to a Shirt & Tie

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Is there such a thing? For the most part I'm pretty casual. I don't wear t-shirts as much as I used to, but I still wear them. I rarely wear suits...OK...actually, I never wear suits:eek: :eusa_doh: .

As much as I'd like to watch my pennies and be wise, I really like Art Fawcett's "Tucker". It looks somewhat causal to me. Maybe it's the narrow band[huh] . What do you all think? I would love for Art to chime in as well. I especially have a hard time getting a grasp on the shape and proportions of a hat without a person's head underneath it! If it doesn't work with t-shirts, I'll just stop wearing t-shirts!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
That is definitely one thing I've considered, and has kept the IJ style/color hats in the running. Of course, I know I'll never be satisfied with just one anyway!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mustang said:
That is definitely one thing I've considered, and has kept the IJ style/color hats in the running. Of course, I know I'll never be satisfied with just one anyway!
Well if you go with Art then definitely not just one!! I don't think any one that has one of his hats has only one! lol Wait except for me, I'm doomed!:eusa_doh:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I think for t shirt wear any of the akubra out back types and indy types could pass. But I am prob too casual for most.

lol After perusing this site, I get the same feeling (about myself). That was part of the reason I hesitated before joining. Oh well, as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life!

I used to wear cowboy hats all of the time. I could always wear them or my Tilley T3's with my t-shirts. I'm not really interested in the outback styles (if I know what you mean by outback style). I'm all about getting a fedora now.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mustang, since you asked, I'll chime..
The Tucker is one of my most conservative/basic prototypes and is mean't to fill both jobs..casual and formal ( to a degree). It's a very neutral hat, hopefully with some basic class..you know..less is more?

BTW..Welcome to the Lounge!

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Mustang,

I don't own one of Art's hats (yet), but from the pictures I've seen you would be very happy.

There are styles of hats that can be worn both casually or dressed up. I have a couple of hats that seem to serve both functions quite well. One of them as an IJ style/color like you mentioned earlier. It is an Akubra Federation Deluxe. I didn't buy it for the Indiana Jones look, but rather for the style of the hat. I wear it with primarily with jeans and khakis. The hat has a 40's look to it and could definitely be worn with a shirt and tie as well.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Perfect!

Thanks. That's the style I like.
Art, I noticed the Tucker is in the "Limited Editions" section and it shows you have 7 left. I have a couple questions:

1. Since your hats are custom made to fit the individual, does that mean you will only make 7 more "Tuckers"?

2. If so, what do I do if, God forbid, you sell out before I save up enough dough:eusa_booh :eek: ?

Thanks and Merry Christmas:fedora:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mustang, it'd probably be best to email or call Art directly from his site with specific questions. Just a few more posts and you can send him a private message also.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Private message to Art

That was what I really wanted to do, but I need a few more posts before I can do that....1 less now:D

Nashoba

One Too Many
just tip toeing in for a moment

but from a ladies' perspective I think wearing a hat with casual is just as nice...when I was in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend at Dragon*Con, Gaige wore the same fedora with both his suit in the evening and on several occasions a t-shirt and jeans. It looked just as good with either ensemble...;)

RBH

Bartender
I think most fedoras wear well with the casual look. BUT there are some hats that are nothing but real DRESSEY!
I wear most all of my hats with a tee and jeans, and a straw fedora goes well with that look. I have noticed I am more and more wearing polo type shirts.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i'll chime in too....

i humbly like to say that this was my first real hat and Art and I talked for a few days to create it. As a lover of classic cars and a salesperson for over 28 years...i have always been impressed with Preston Tucker his car and then the movie.

This hat in the pecan color and it looks great with everything that i wear casual or dress in browns, tans, greens and blues...i sometimes can get away with black depending upon the accents. Looks great with jeans...

The smaller ribbon makes this hat look more casual than a larger ribbon, IMO...i get compliments from several people, men and women, still to this day.

It is my go to hat...

hope this helps...

mark easter the shoeshine boy

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Nashoba said:
but from a ladies' perspective I think wearing a hat with casual is just as nice...when I was in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend at Dragon*Con, Gaige wore the same fedora with both his suit in the evening and on several occasions a t-shirt and jeans. It looked just as good with either ensemble...;)

Now that's what I like to hear! A ladies' perspective holds a lot of sway with me;)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, I don't know Art's hats yet ... but I am a casual guy so I can speak to that side lol

I wear this Akubra (in the dark grey) just about all of the time lately, casual and "shirt and tie". Pictures can be deceiving, but it looks to have dimensions similar to Art's "Tucker." It works well with any attire!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I'm really quite pleasantly surprised that I'm not the only casual dresser here! I was kinda getting the impression that everyone here wears a suit and tie all of the time. Which, now that I think about it, was pretty foolish of me. :eek:

Shoeshineboy,

In reference to the color "pecan": Is that the same color as the sample on Art's site? I noticed the felt is referred to as "hickory" (on the site). Whatever color that is, I really like it

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just to prove that hats 'n' caps can be worn casually!

I appreciate there is a leaning on here towards wearing head attire with more formal dress. But just to 'hopefully' show that formal hats and caps can be worn just as effectively with work attire (as was done originally in the Golden Era) and casual 'chill out' dress...

Well, here's my 'attempt' to convince...;)

Mustang

One of the Regulars
And convincing you are!

PADDY said:
I appreciate there is a leaning on here towards wearing head attire with more formal dress. But just to 'hopefully' show that formal hats and caps can be worn just as effectively with work attire (as was done originally in the Golden Era) and casual 'chill out' dress...

Well, here's my 'attempt' to convince...;)

Paddy, is that you in your avatar? Not only is that a great photo (lighting, pose, etc), it is a great look. Very classy.:eusa_clap. I could get used to dressing like that, seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany