Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Wear?

katiepickle

New in Town
I have a pretty busy schedule between school and work and I don't have enough time to get my glam on most days. I was wondering if any other ladies out there have any time-saving, campus-hiking tips for looking put together. When I dress up I go all out, but I feel like such a slob during the week...

lindylady

A-List Customer
How about a cardigan set and an a-line skirt? Or if you don't want to wear a skirt, how about some wide-leg trousers reminiscent of the 30s and 40s? You could pair them with a nice shirt, sweater, etc. Finish off with some black lace-ups, wedges, round toe heels, or Keds. Hey, they've been around for a very long time.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Forgot to mention...with hair and makeup, I usually sleep in rollers and just comb it out the next day. It has a nice wave to it. I pin one side behind my ear. If you're into the fifties era, you can do a ponytail and be out the door in minutes.

Makeup...nude shadows pull you together without overdoing it. Some days I like to wear a pink or red lipstick, but if it takes too long, I use lip gloss. Not the super-shiny stuff, though. :rolleyes: Hope this helps a teensy bit.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
An addition to the simplified makeup...

I occasionally mix a bit of foundation with my moisturizer for a quick light and natural look instead of full foundation over moisturizer.

--Leslie

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since I quit my job and returned to school, I pretty much dress the same as I did at the office - in the summer, a lot of dresses or skirts with a nice top. In the cooler months, skirts and dresses with stockings and a cardigan or sweater, the occasional suit, wide legged trousers with a sweater.

I'm one of only a handful of people dressed up at school (and at least a few of those are conservative Jews, which require modest dress) and I get tons of compliments. "I love your outfits, so ladylike" and "The way you dress really makes you appear like you are on top of your studies." Love hearing that from my fellow students!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All good tips. Plus, make sure you have all of your outfits laid out for the week, right down to the undergarments, socks, and BOTH shoes. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been late because I can't find my ahem bra (I can be a slob or absentmindedly hang it on something in one of the 10 rooms) or how much more time I seem to have when everything is ready to the last detail.
I seem to have misplaced my girdle.

katiepickle

New in Town
Thanks! I picked up 2 cotton dresses and 3 sweaters at the swap meet today (as well as an old pyrex pan and a suitcase) for under $20 (score!) so I should be good to go for at least one week!

Rosie

One Too Many
I sometimes find it a bit hard to do the casual thing also. I've done the high waisted trouser, sweater and lace up shoes thing.

Today, to do some shopping, I wore my high waisted, dark dungarees, cuffed of course, a black blouse tucked in, my saddle shoes, (which I love and my mom says she had almost the exact pair :D ) and my red swing coat. I wore my hair in two rolls and pulled back in a snood. I'd like to think I looked very cute.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BegintheBeguine said:
All good tips. Plus, make sure you have all of your outfits laid out for the week, right down to the undergarments, socks, and BOTH shoes. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been late because I can't find my ahem bra (I can be a slob or absentmindedly hang it on something in one of the 10 rooms) or how much more time I seem to have when everything is ready to the last detail.
I seem to have misplaced my girdle.

lol

Are you readin' my mind!?

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
When I'm going to school I wear basic pieces that I can mix and match. Princess seamed button downs in short, 3/4 and long sleeves, skirts of varying lengths (and eras), gauchos, and pants. Shoes are basic since I have to walk I wear wedge heels, oxford heels or low pumps. Hair is basic: I put it into a french twist. I wear the same makeup anyway, and I can do it in less then 10 minutes.

Like this week (granted I didn't go to class this semester, but I've been in and out of the campus all week doing transcription for grad students)
Monday: Black short sleeve princess shirt, lined multicolored pencil skirt (primary colors are raspberry and black in boucle fabric), ocfod shoes and black stocking.
Tuesday: Black slacks, cream shirt, plaid 20's bridge jacket, low pumps
Wednesday: blue pencil skirt, matching jacket, floral button down, nude stockings.
Thursday: black gauchos, knee boots, orange oriental print top, black tight stockings
Friday : 1907 walking skirt in rose, hip length silk striped jacket in rose, cream and brown, brown silk shirt, brown oxfords, cream tight stockings
Saturday: Red oreitnal top, below knee straight skirt in black, black stockings
Sunday: jeans striped skirt to ankle, brown peasant top, wedge pumps, nude stockings

Tomorrow I have to be uber casual, I have a lot of stuff to do. This is the "trendiest: thing I own: jeans skirt, above the knee with american and british pocket detail and a red button down shirt in an oriental print (different shirt) with wedge sandals. No stockingss, I'm being trashy. I also dress better then 95% of the students I do run across, and I can get up, shower and be out the door in less then 30 minutes. I only do this when I'm working/in college. Other then that, it takes me an insane amount of time to leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183