Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavanagh or Dobbs?

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
I've been wanting a grey fedora because I used to have one that had been my great uncles, even though it never fit me. So I found this one listed on Ebay as a Dobbs 5th Ave. Cavanagh. I lucked up and got it for $34 (I think it's a good price)
So when it arrives here's the box:
DobbsBoxSide.jpg

DobbsBoxTop.jpg

I open it and here's what I see:
CavinBox.jpg

Cavliner.jpg

Cavband.jpg

CavEdge.jpg

And here it is out of the box:
CavBash.jpg

CavBow.jpg

CavFront.jpg

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
And lastly, I'll ruin the thread by showing my mug: lol
Hatongoofyguy1.jpg

HatonGoofyguy2.jpg

Now my question: Is it a Dobbs, a Cavanagh or are they the same thing? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Beowulf67 said:
Now my question: Is it a Dobbs, a Cavanagh or are they the same thing? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Yes and no, how's that for an answer?lol

Dobbs and Cavanagh were both started by the same man, John Cavanagh, and both were owned by the same holding company and manufactured at the same factory. However, they were two separate lines of hats, with Cavanagh being a high-end brand.

So what you have is a very nice Cavanagh, with an orphaned Dobbs box.

Great price and great hat!

Brad

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's a prize. I've often seen Dobb's boxes used to contain hats of other lines. Must be that there are a lot of those boxes out there. It's that hat that counts and you did well! Thanks for posting all the pix so we could get a good look at it.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
Yes and no, how's that for an answer?lol

Dobbs and Cavanagh were both started by the same man, John Cavanagh, and both were owned by the same holding company and manufactured at the same factory. However, they were two separate lines of hats, with Cavanagh being a high-end brand.

So what you have is a very nice Cavanagh, with an orphaned Dobbs box.

Great price and great hat!

Brad

lol You should run for office! :eusa_clap

Seriously, thanks for the information.
Does anyone know how I could go about getting a general idea of how old it is?

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Yeah, that's a prize. I've often seen Dobb's boxes used to contain hats of other lines. Must be that there are a lot of those boxes out there. It's that hat that counts and you did well! Thanks for posting all the pix so we could get a good look at it.

Thanks! I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I got home and it was waiting for me.

Viper Man

Banned
Great hat! I have two that are identical except for the color. I'd say that is a pretty decent price, too. I believe I paid $40 for my black one and $9.95 for my brown one (I got lucky on an opening bid). Enjoy it!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I can't be sure from the pic, but does this one have the intentionally "frayed" bow edge that cavanagh used?

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I can't be sure from the pic, but does this one have the intentionally "frayed" bow edge that cavanagh used?

I don't think it's frayed but I can check it tonight and get a better picture for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav