Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CCC Information

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Does anyone have information on the CCC? I was trying to find anything about women in the CCC. They we allowed to join until 1937 but, I have'nt found anymore info than that. I would like to see pictures of uniforms they wore, what jobs they could do, etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Samantha

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a public-works program for unemployed young people, focusing on public land conservation -- their most notable work involved the building and maintenance of national parkland. Lots of heavy pick-and-shovel labor involved, and women did mostly office/clerical type jobs.

Although it was technically a civilian program, it was administered by the Army, and a lot of surplus army uniforms and equipment were issued for CCC use. These would be stripped of Army insignia and buttons and the CCC logo worn on the sleeve:

1933_CCC_shoulder_patch.gif

It's impossible to overstate the importance of the CCC to the development of the National Park system -- if you live near any national park that existed before 1942, CCC crews were involved with it, and many of the older structures were built by CCC labor.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Thanks Lizzie!
Over the weekend I went to a state park that was completley built by the CCC. It was still beautiful! Next year for there Yesterdays festival my husband and I are going to set up a CCC camp display. We saw the special on PBS about the CCC a month or two ago and got alot of good info from there but I still just can't find pictures of women in the CCC.

Samantha

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There were a few women-only camps prior to 1937, where a lot of support-type work was done -- sign painting, office work, and such -- but the hard labor in the woods was all male. There were also cases of CCC women being used to teach CCC boys things like typing and shorthand.

The women's camps were unofficially called "She She She Camps," ha ha very funny.

fdrl_shesheshe-09-2316a.jpg

Uniforms here look to be some sort of cotton gym-bloomer-type suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran