Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Celebrity Hat wearer spotted on the tube?

Edward

Bartender
Last Friday evening, on my way home from the office, late - about 10.30pm.... I hopped on the Central Line on London Underground at Holborn. There was a guy sitting at the end of the carriage earing a black homberg, otherwise casually dressed: long black coat - leather, I think - black jeans, boots / shoes, black shirt of some sort. The usual brief look of recognitioin you get from another hat wearer (I was in a black fedora at the time). Something about the guy's face was incredibly familiar but I couldn't place it - only halfway up the platform when I was off the train at Liverpool Street did it click: it was Ewan Magregor he looked like. I don't know for sure if that was him, but if it wasn't it was his doppelganger. I wonder....

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
obviously celebrities move around but you might see if he was in London this week or month or whatever...if it even matters but thats interesting. maybe we should send him letters to join lol

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
I love "Britspeak"!

"Doppelganger" I knew from a sci-fi movie a few years ago about an Apollo mission that found a duplicate Earth orbiting 180 degrees out on the other side of the sun.

"On the tube"... my first thought was television.

Bloody Yanks! ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
DblCoronaMS said:
I love "Britspeak"!

I do believe its called "English".

Unless you are talking to your servant...'good man' is just silly and outdated.

And barring having to listen to UK folks trying to sound like cowboys, maybe we shouldn't think its cute and quaint to try and sound like them.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie,

I meant no disrespect... on the contrary!

I very much enjoy hearing proper English and the accent that goes along with it. I was merely pointing out the differences in the US version here and the English that is spoken over there.

Perhaps you misread my intent... I was referring to myself with the Bloody Yank remark... hence the smilie.

Don

Edward

Bartender
Thread arachaeology!

Doppelganger is German, yes - from Doppel (double) and Gänger (goer). Originally it as used to describe a ghostly visitation, usually a harbinger of bad times ahead. Illness, or, if you see your own doppelganger, an omen of your pending death.

Miss N, "my good man" is certainly more appropriate for referring to servants: it implies, in general, that the person one is speaking to is a social inferior. A wonderful example of something the English have raised to an art form: being so terribly polite as the rudest possible manner of speaking. :lol:

theprofessor

New in Town
neecerie

wasnt it george bernard shaw who said that the british and the americans were two peoples separated by a common language?

and i'm glad someone enlightened us "yanks" as to what doppleganger means, because if you ask here on the streets, it would probably have an entirely different connotation.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
theprofessor said:
wasnt it george bernard shaw who said that the british and the americans were two peoples separated by a common language?

and i'm glad someone enlightened us "yanks" as to what doppleganger means, because if you ask here on the streets, it would probably have an entirely different connotation.
Indeed it was. And he held us both with equal contempt:
"An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable."
"An asylum for the sane would be empty in America."

One of my favorite literary figures of all time.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doppelganger is not Britspeak. It means the same thing in American English. It's more likely just unfamiliar.

Let's get back to the important original point of this post...did you get me Ewan's number? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails