Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing Akubra liner?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Just got my second Akubra Campdraft and would like to change out the liner. Both hats are fawn (to guard against them stopping making my all-time favorite hat!) but my second one has a white liner and I like to gold one in my first hat alot better. Bought it from hatsdirect and am wondering if I can buy a gold liner. If so, from where? Also, what glue should I use to glue the new one back in as I don't like the idea of the liner being just tucked under the sweat?
Thanks in advance,
Jed

seed

Familiar Face
Honestly? It ain't worth it. Akubra glues in their liners and yanking one out will pull some felt out...and for what? You won't ever see the lining while wearing it, which is what the hat is made for (wearing). In my opinion, you should just leave in the liner it has and change it when the time is right.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
That would make sense but I wouldn't be on this site if I weren't just a little fanatical about my ol' hats. Anyone with any experience? Any idea what Mr. Fawcett or Optimo use?
Thanks,
Jed

Jed,
I sent an Open Road off that did not have a liner to Optimo & it came back with a generic liner. There is a supplier listed that sells plain liners in different colors if that is what you are looking for. I have it on a favorite link somewhere. HTH

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have two Camp Drafts. I removed their liners before I bashed them. If you do this carefully, not much of the hat's felt is dislodged. I glued the fawn Camp Draft's liner back in place with a hot glue gun, but I used the gun very sparingly. I only applied four or five small dots of glue to the felt, each about the size of a number 6 shot.

I just stuck silverbelly Camp Draft's liner back in place. So far, it wears as well as the other hat and I can't tell that the liner is not attached to the felt. Also, if I ever decide to rebash my hat, removing the liner will be darned easy.

AF

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies, fellas. The folks at Hatsdirect recommended a fabric craft glue but I didn't want anything to leak or soak through the felt.
Thanks,
Jed

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
I have two Camp Drafts. I removed their liners before I bashed them. If you do it carefully, not much of the hat's felt is disloged. ...

I just pulled the liner out of my Campdraft. All the glue stayed on the felt.

hpim0823.jpg

hpim0824.jpg

hpim0825.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails