Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap fur felts + free shipping thu 12/31

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool, I wondered when these guys would get some more fur felts in. If you recall, we-un's of TFL drove these folks near to crazy a couple of years back when they had Akubras at nickles on the dollar.

I haven't purchased one of these yet, so I cannot vouch for anything other than their modest price. I have seen the same "OUTBACK GOLD" models at online tack & Western type stores for about twice as much or a bit more. They are said to have a sheep leather sweat- I'd guess so at that price they are almost certainly made in China, but who knows? Could be South American...or Aussie. So, FWIT- there it be. Does anyone know more about this brand?

JimWagner

Practically Family
I received the Loden Dunedin the other day and am wearing it below:

hat1.jpg

Here is a close up of the hat:

hat2.jpg

It came with a functional wind cord that you can see just below the bow.

The felt is fairly soft and smooth, about the same weight as my Camp Draft actually although not quite as smooth and just slightly stiffer. The brim is unbound and the crown has what I would call a medium taper.

hat3.jpg

The Dunegin is lined and thankfully without plastic on the liner.

hat4.jpg

The hat band is rather thin leather and I'd say it's reeded as opposed to just folded in. It remains to be seen how well the hat band will stand up to use, but it is comfortable.

I found the hat to run a little small. Normally a 7 3/8 or 59 will fit me perfectly, but this one was a little tight. A couple of hours on a hat stretcher cured that and it fits well now. If I was to order another I'd go up one size.

The color shown in all but the last picture is pretty close and about as good as I can do with a cell phone.

Bottom line, pretty good deal for a fur felt at $40 and a better hat than I expected. A little more taper than I'm used to, but overall I'm happy. I've spent as much for wool felt hats that were not nearly as good quality.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I received the Loden Dunedin the other day and am wearing it below:

It came with a functional wind cord that you can see just below the bow.

The felt is fairly soft and smooth, about the same weight as my Camp Draft actually although not quite as smooth and just slightly stiffer. The brim is unbound and the crown has what I would call a medium taper.

The Dunegin is lined and thankfully without plastic on the liner.

The hat band is rather thin leather and I'd say it's reeded as opposed to just folded in. It remains to be seen how well the hat band will stand up to use, but it is comfortable.

I found the hat to run a little small. Normally a 7 3/8 or 59 will fit me perfectly, but this one was a little tight. A couple of hours on a hat stretcher cured that and it fits well now. If I was to order another I'd go up one size.

The color shown in all but the last picture is pretty close and about as good as I can do with a cell phone.

Bottom line, pretty good deal for a fur felt at $40 and a better hat than I expected. A little more taper than I'm used to, but overall I'm happy. I've spent as much for wool felt hats that were not nearly as good quality.

I ordered and received one of these as well (mostly out of curiousity) and have the EXACT same review as Jim. I'm not going to restate it. DITTO.

Tone

A-List Customer
Hmm. The felt looks like it could pill after a short while. Are either of you going to try and spruce it up a bit; or do you plan on just leaving it in the shape it came with? Looks like a good candidate for a teardrop and ribbon alteration.

Seems to have some potential for a couple other styles. Thanks for the pics; for a 'speriment hat $40.00 isn't too shabby for a fur.

Last edited:

JimWagner

Practically Family
I'll probably leave it as is since my original plan was to use it as a fishing hat. I haven't worn it enough yet to have a feel for whether it might pill or not. But since you brought it up I've looked more closely at the felt and you could be right. It's not a dense felt, a little coarse and even a little furry. I wouldn't try to sand it smooth - I think the fibers would separate or rip up if you tried.

You don't really notice that from a couple of feet away, though.

Getting caught in a rain storm or dropping it in a creek might be interesting too. Don't know if it will fall apart or be fine. Time will tell.

As for rebashing it to a teardrop or c-crown, I think that there's enough taper to the crown to make that look out of proportion. But that's clearly a personal taste and style issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick