Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check your Batteries Folks

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Folks,

As I'm quite fond of all of you folks as I've learned so much and have had great conversations and discussions with most of you, please do yourself a favor if you have a Mac or Dell.

You don't want your machine to end up like this, so please oh please check your batteries if you're running a Mac or Dell. I've provided the links to make it easier on you folks.

flamingapple499x333.JPG

You can check out whether your batteries are susceptible:

Apple iBook and Powerbooks: https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/

Dell Laptops:
https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

For safety sake, I thought I'd post it even though it's been plastered all over the news.

Jon

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
My MAC iBookG4 battery is one of those recalled. Problem is is that you just can't take it to a Mac store and exchange it - you have to deal with it through their website, wait for the shipping envelope, ship YOUR battery to them and then wait for a new one to come back. Efficent, huh?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:
My MAC iBookG4 battery is one of those recalled. Problem is is that you just can't take it to a Mac store and exchange it - you have to deal with it through their website, wait for the shipping envelope, ship YOUR battery to them and then wait for a new one to come back. Efficent, huh?

Actually thats not quite accurate.

Quote from the apple website faq:

"Q. Do I have to send in my recalled battery before I can receive a replacement battery?

A. No, Apple will send you the replacement battery first and then you will send Apple the recalled battery. "

So while you may have to wait for the battery to arrive, you dont have to first wait for them to receive yours before they will send your new one.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

"Q. Do I have to send in my recalled battery before I can receive a replacement battery?

A. No, Apple will send you the replacement battery first and then you will send Apple the recalled battery. "

So while you may have to wait for the battery to arrive, you dont have to first wait for them to receive yours before they will send your new one.

Unfortunately, 2 of my 5 machines is a Mac and a Dell...so I checked both and thank goodness they are in the clear. I'd hate for all of it to go up in a puff of smoke. You read clearly, just as I did and please remember you can take the battery out while the power is plugged in and use your machine. For safety sake that is.

Jon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two points:
Not all machines equipped with these batteries will "explode."

Neither Dell nor Apple manufactured these faulty batteries. They were sourced from Sony.

Still, get the free replacement. Better safe than ablaze.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

Thanks. I called the Apple store and they gave me the faulty info. I'll try Apple direct.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baked apples...mmmm....an old time favorite!

They've known about the problem for quite awhile. Paul sent his in for repair of another issue six months ago and it came back with a brand-new, different battery.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Phil said:
:deadhorse And yet another reason why Apple is not a good computer

Since the batteries were manufactured by Sony and not Apple......your logic is unsound.

If you want to get into how many -more- people are affected because they have a Dell laptop, which also have Sony batteries that are possibly faulty, then thats a different story.

Nothing to do with the actual -processing- power of OS of the laptop that happens to possess the Sony battery.....so quit being foolish and biased. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow, not only the law was laid down, it was thrown down! lol

She's right, it's not Apples fault, it's the batteries... kind of reminds me of some batteries in a flashlight that our Lauren Henline had at my birthday party lol! They just got hotter and hotter... then, a friend took the torch outside and opened it up and then flung the batteries out and then they blew up on impact of the ground. lol WEIRD!

I prefer PC's but understand that Apple does make fine machine. Just a different format to learn that I don't care to learn at the moment.

=WR=

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Four million Dell batteries recalled...

... based upon SIX incidents. My newest notebook has two batteries in the recall, but since neither gets overly hot, I'm just keeping a watchful eye. Now my old COMPAQ that I gave to my step son... that sucker got hot... and I've contacted him and told him to NOT use the battery until we can get it replaced.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I've got an Acer Laptop, and it sometimes gets very very hot. Enough where if I'm on it for 8+ hours (I do go outside the house, I swear) I have to put an aluminum cookie sheet between my lap and the laptop.

Baggers

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
I have a home PC... no batteries! Me safe;)

Makes a nice fire though...
flamingapple499x333.JPG

=WR=

Yeah, but watch out if you run your power through a surge protector. a couple of years back I had one that blowed up reeeal good. :eek: :eek: :eek: Luckily I was home at the time and was able to unplug it from the wall and toss it out on the patio. However I do still have a nice piece of scorched carpet under my desk and the room smelled of ozone and melted plastic for days.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy