Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Checked out some hats today

Magister

Familiar Face
There are a bunch of antique/vintage shops in the town nearest to me, and I went poking around today hoping maybe to find my first hat.

First, I saw a pristine fedora-like hat in an olive green. it had maybe a two inch brim and a braided cord instead of a band. It was pristine, and still had its box. The brand name was Dobbs. Quite inexpensive, too. Unfortunately, it was too small for me.

Next, I saw a dark brown porkpie. Other than being a bit dusty, it too was in great shape. I was unable to try it on, as it was in a glass case and I didn't feel like pestering someone to open it just then. I feel really drawn to porkpies, but I'm not sure if I can pull one off well. It was only $14 bucks, so I may go back for it anyway.

T Rick

Practically Family
Depending on your size, you're liable to find a lot of vintages too small. Don't let that deter you, as you may also find some gems that are just right. But smaller sizes for the vintages do seem to be more abundant. Not sure if that relates to production numbers, or if there were simply more small hats put aside/stored than larger ones, but it does seem that people have gotten larger (on average) over the last couple of hundred years.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I know Putnam well. You should come down to New Haven and check out DelMonico's Hat Shop if your looking for a new lid. J. Press is close by too if you want to work on your Mr. Chipps look

Jeff

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
i feel i my be stating the obvious but still ill say it , ebay has plenty porkies at reasonable prices , it just takes time to find one your size. I got impatient myself and got a nice Mallory that was to small and had Optimo resize it for me. Looking back i prolly could have gotten a better deal had i took more time but i get in a hurry sometimes and i wouldn't trade it really its the one in my avatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80