Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheesy and lengthy introduction by new member

minstrel

New in Town
Since I recently took the step to register as a member here, I thought I might as well introduce myself to you all and show off the small collection of hats I own at the moment.

As you may see from my location, I'm a Swede, so please excuse any peculiar idiosyncrasies in my writing style. :) I haven't worn proper hats for more than a year and a half, and it started with this hat, an Australian leather hat, a "Boundary Rider" made by Coastline Hat Co.:

aussie.jpg

The dapper young man underneath the brim there is me. The picture quality is questionable due to the picture being taken using a webcam. The other pictures below are also webcam pictures, I'm afraid.

Soon after purchasing the above hat, I started getting an irresistible urge to own a whip. Probably the tannins in the leather affecting my mind... Anyway, I couldn't afford a proper whip, so I bought the materials needed and made one myself instead, and whip plaiting is now one of my many hobbies.

The second hat I purchased was this hat, a black Stetson Wray made from crushable wool felt:

stetson.jpg

On the wall there, you can see another of my hobbies, collecting swords. No antiques, mind you, just modern production swords of traditional models. Fully functional, mostly. I'm not much for decorative stainless steel wallhangers.

Soon after the purchase of the Stetson, I found and bought two "blues brothers" hats, one black and one dark brown (pictured):

trilby.jpg

I'm unsure what the model would be called? Stingy brim fedora? Trilby? They're made in China, and the label inside says it's 100% wool. The brim has a metal wire sewn into it, which makes it possible to shape the brim any way you want to. More a curse than a blessing, in my opinion, but the hats were cheap, just about US $10 each, and I couldn't be too picky since I was (and still am) unemployed.

It didn't take too long after I purchased those hats that I happened upon a vintage wide brimmed grey fedora in a flea market. It's made by Henry Cranford & Sons, Oxford Street, London and has a white silk liner and brown leather sweat band which is stamped "Extra Oval". I tried it on and it's a bit tight (me being a 7 1/4, or 57½-58), but I bought it anyway, since it was only about US $25, and it looked to be worth a lot more than that, from the quality of it:

fedora.jpg

After having worn it a few times, I turned out the sweat band and discovered that the previous owner probably thought it was too large, because there was a strip of cork tucked underneath the sweat band. Common way of adjusting the fit, as I understand. I removed the cork and the hat fit slightly better for me, but it's still on the tight side, resulting in me not wearing the hat very much, which is unfortunate since I like the looks of it. But some day I will buy myself a similar hat which fits me better. I just need to be able to afford it.

When I can afford it, I will also invest in a better pocket watch than the cheap one I am currently using, as well as a good quality fountain pen. The ones I have are OK, but I always have an eye out for a better quality one.

Well, short introduction there. I intend to continue lurking here, and drool over all the nice hats and whatnots the ladies and gentlemen of the forum may post pictures of.

Cheers!

(BTW, if the images don't show up, it might be because my web server is down, which it very rarely is.)

swisslet

New in Town
Welcome and nice hats.

Have you thought about getting a hat form and gently stretching that slightly too tight hat? It really suits you and it seems a shame it isn't more comfortable. With a hat form, you can do it over a few days and a half-turn at a time, and you will probably be able to gently open it out enough to sit more comfortably. You can get a cheap hat form off ebay or somewhere (I did!).

Anyway. Good to have you on board. You'll find folks pretty welcoming around here. I know I did.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Welcome.

My opinion, which is only that, is that the wider brims suit you better -- particularly the gray fedora with its straight sides. A shame that it is too small. Good luck finding a similar one that fits better.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the Lounge. There's plenty of good folks around here with valuable knowledge. Be sure to post pics of the new hats as well as your new pocket watch when you get it.

lucas

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge. I must concur that the look of the hat in the last photo is exceptional. It seems just like hats everyone has 12,000 opinions.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tjena re!
Nice to see you here. Trévligt att rå´kas! Do invest in a hat stretcher (as little as $10 USD) your world of hat possibilities will expand as a result. Although the last thing I need is more competition for size 59 headwear! On second thought DO NOT buy a stretcher, total rubbish & a waste of money... ;)
Adjö´ så lä´nge!

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome Minstrel

Welcome aboard Minstrel. I'm a newbie too. I can tell you the members have been uniformly courteous and informative. Best, Sam

Flieger

Practically Family
Välkommen Minstrel!

Nice to see that another hat-loving-swede found his way here. Judging from your photos I'm pretty sure you'll fit in quite nicely among the merry guys and gals of the Fedora Lounge.

I'm happy to have another swede at my side when the danes and norweigans start to gan up on me. :)

/Flieger

minstrel

New in Town
Hello gentlemen!

Yes, I have already gathered that the Lounge is a place with friendly people. Some members here are also members of the shaving forums I frequent (since traditional wet shaving is also a "hobby" of mine, although you might say it's a life style too) and those forums are also full of friendly people. :)

A hat stretcher seems like a good idea to try. But when you mention it... I remember that a clerk in a men's clothing store in town mentioned that they have a hat stretcher. I might take that grey fedora there and have them stretch it for me.

I like wide brimmed hats, so it's good to hear that you concur with my own assessment that those hats fit me. :) The "Blues Brothers" hats may end up becoming props for Blues Brothers themed photo shoots in the future. (Yes, photography is also a hobby of mine, when I can afford it - 35mm film costs an arm and a leg to develop and make prints from, and I don't have a decent digital camera yet.)

And for my fellow Swedes: Kul att se fler svenskar! Det verkar mest vara jänkare och britter på de fora jag besöker på nätet, så det är alltid roligt att stöta på landsmän. :) Just det, ja - jag bor i Linköping, den snorkigaste staden i landet. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Welcome dude!

By the way, is it only me, that feels that you (minus beard and moustache) have somewhat strong resemblance to one of our members here, indycop? lollol

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hej! Or as we say here in Georgia, hey! (Same thing). Just adding my welcome to the chorus, Minstrel. I think you'll like it here.

About the last hat in your photos - I agree it looks best and understand you might not want to invest in a block to stretch it over or go throught the hassle of removing the sweatband. If it's just a bit too tight, you might have success doing some things I've done.

I presume you can lay hands on a teakettle. Make yourself a spout extender out of aluminum foil (or aluminium to our UK friends). One that tapers a bit. This will help focus steam. Then apply a moderate degree of steam to the area near the base of the crown and the adjacent brim (if that part of the brim doesn't stretch or alter shape, it will fight any gains you make on the head size). Also gently and very briefly steam the sweatband but only if it is in good condition. If the sweatband is fragile or looks dry, treat it with something like mink oil or Lexol for about a week or more before you try anything!

Do all that steaming quite quickly, then press the hat down over your head. Way down. Bend the tops of your ears over with the brim if you can. While you do this, press the back portion of the crown together strongly with both hands. That will reduce strain on the stitching at the back of the sweatband.

Let the hat dry out while on your head, maybe for 15 minutes or more. Then repeat all that over again as often as necessary until the hat stops fighting you and agrees to be a half size larger. It may take several goes, but with good felt this does work, or has for me anyway!

Best of luck my friend.

- Bill

Flieger

Practically Family
minstrel said:
... Just det, ja - jag bor i Linköping, den snorkigaste staden i landet. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Hey! You got the Swedish Air Force Museum right at your doorstep. That renders high points in my book. :))

BellyTank said:
Hej!
I'm Swedish now- It's official- I have a number and everything.

B
T

Congratulations BT! Let me know if you are visiting in my neck of the woods.

/F

minstrel

New in Town
Flieger said:
Hey! You got the Swedish Air Force Museum right at your doorstep. That renders high points in my book.

I actually did my military service at the air force base adjacent to that museum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy