Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Childless in the Golden Era

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I came from an era when it was pretty much taken for granted that you would automatically grow up and have children.

I never wanted them, not at any time in my life. But no one believed me until I was in my early 30's.

The expectation that a woman would marry and have children spilled over into your work life. In those days (1950's-60's) it was quite legal for a potential employer to question you: do you have plans for marriage? Are you planning to have children immediately? Are you pregnant?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, you probably would not get the job -- because it was assumed you would quit work and stay home once you either got married or had a child.

My mother was disappointed that I never had kids, even though I never had any regrets. Some of my friends who were also childless think it might have been good to have someone watching over you when you are old, but having a child does not guarantee that. Having five children does not guarantee that.

One woman I know declared recently she was not childless but child-free.

Re unmarried women: they were considered "spinsters" in their mid-20's. Or they were called "maiden ladies." Some who perhaps lacked good looks were considered to be "old maids" because they couldn't get a man.

There is a line in the movie Queen Christina (Garbo played the part), where someone asks her if she is ever going to be married or is she going to be an old maid. Her response is that she preferred to remain a bachelor. That was a very liberated remark at the time.

There is also the possibility that many so-called spinsters or maiden ladies were lesbians, not something you wanted to broadcast during earlier eras, unless you had a lot of money and lived in Paris.

karol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Exactly, Miss Neecerie.

You cant equate not having your affairs in order with not having kids. I had an Aunt as well, my Grandfather's sister, who had all her ducks in a row. When she passed, the family didnt have to do much of anything.

People, children, siblings, or whom ever can take advantage of you. Unfortunately, you get no special obligation for better treatment just because you are related to the person.

LD

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
This is actually a good point for -everyone-, since having kids or being married does not actually guarantee the person or persons you have told your wishes to:

a. listens to you
b. does not precede you

Everyone, should have all this stuff settled, regardless of marital or parental status.

There are many, many legal mechanisms to take care of this situation. In fact, quite a few law schools have Elder Law clinics supervised by professors designed to assist those who simply ask. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Offspring should be taught to be independent so they don't need to keep Mom in a third-rate nursing home in order to inherit more money.

Parents need to get their affairs in order so their children (or whoever is their executor or has power of attorney) won't have to deal with a mess. Just the other night, I had a nightmare that I had to deal with my parents' stuff because they were going to a nursing home.

As for me, my entire estate will go to charity. Somebody not related to the charity will handle my affairs if I can't manage them myself. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have a book called Millionaire Women Next Door. There's a chapter on horrible things adult children do to their parents to extract money from them. The kids who did those things had been given a lot of money by their parents--and came to think of that money as owed to them. I don't work in that area, though, and maybe some self-motivated go-getters have a sense of entitlement...[huh] In that case, yes, I'd look elsewhere for somebody to take care of me.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm in the funeral trade, and always suggest that folks preplan for their final disposition. Having said that, we have old preplanned funerals on file that will likely never be used, even though they are paid for, because the purchaser never told the right people. At that point, NOBODY can get at the funds, and it becomes a big waste. If the family or nursing center doesn't tell us the individual is deceased, we have no way of knowing.

So, plan ahead, tell the right people, and don't put information pertaining to your funeral in your will, because you will be long gone before the will gets read.

I have seen MANY families fight over money, even relatively small sums of money. I have relatives who got into it in the 1960s, fighting over a piece of real estate. They still barely talk to each other, and the property was sold off to pay the attorneys.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This has gotten well out of 'childless' and into everyone's future planning....

None of these things are the exclusive domain of the child-free...or spouse free....or relative free..

"Estate and Eldercare planning in the Golden Era- The spin off thread' has a catchy sound to it. ;)

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
This has gotten well out of 'childless' and into everyone's future planning....

None of these things are the exclusive domain of the child-free...or spouse free....or relative free..

"Estate and Eldercare planning in the Golden Era- The spin off thread' has a catchy sound to it. ;)

Miss Neecerie said:
This is actually a good point for -everyone-, since having kids or being married does not actually guarantee the person or persons you have told your wishes to:

a. listens to you
b. does not precede you

Everyone, should have all this stuff settled, regardless of marital or parental status.

Yea but you brought it up.....:eek: lol lol lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Yea but you brought it up.....:eek: lol lol lol

Actually no I didn't....Mr Powers brought up that -single- folk should set their affairs in order....

I refuted this point as being applicable only to singles.

For example....Mr. Powers has sons....what if, when Mr. Powers is slightly less in his right mind and they need to arrange care for him....they find this 'great, loving, caring rest home operated by the Hari Krishnas, which seems to the sons to be the -best- place for Mr. Powers.

Now -we- all know that with his loathing of the 60's and 'dirty hippies' that this would be a bad choice, but unless he puts it in writing somewhere, his sons may not know or -care- that their father would be happier elsewhere.
And without it in writing....just -who- is going to contest the son's prerogative to place their senile father in the best care possible?

-That- is why applying this 'best to get your affairs in order you single childless people, lest no one know what you want'....is lesson for -all-...not just the single or childless.

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
Actually no I didn't....Mr Powers brought up that -single- folk should set their affairs in order....

I refuted this point as being applicable only to singles.

For example....Mr. Powers has sons....what if, when Mr. Powers is slightly less in his right mind and they need to arrange care for him....they find this 'great, loving, caring rest home operated by the Hari Krishnas, which seems to the sons to be the -best- place for Mr. Powers.

Now -we- all know that with his loathing of the 60's and 'dirty hippies' that this would be a bad choice, but unless he puts it in writing somewhere, his sons may not know or -care- that their father would be happier elsewhere.
And without it in writing....just -who- is going to contest the son's prerogative to place their senile father in the best care possible?

-That- is why applying this 'best to get your affairs in order you single childless people, lest no one know what you want'....is lesson for -all-...not just the single or childless.

I am not talking about Powers..........I am specifically citing your suggestion...Powers is issue specific....yours is broader and more applicable to all situations including the one cited by OP. ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The OP asked about 'childless in the Golden Era'

which actually has -zero- to do with how peoples estates and or senior care are handled now.....

It veered off topic with the 'get your affairs in order single people'......

but I sincerely have no energy to do the lawyerly debate thing.....

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
The OP asked about 'childless in the Golden Era'

which actually has -zero- to do with how peoples estates and or senior care are handled now.....

It veered off topic with the 'get your affairs in order single people'......

That encompasses the entire lifestyle issue..........you cannot have one without the other.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
That encompasses the entire lifestyle issue..........you cannot have one without the other.

Yes...IF we were discussing 'how single people need to get their affairs in order in ways that do not -also- apply to everyone'

Since I haven't seen any handy tips on 'how to leave you estate to non relatives' or 'how to throw a funeral with no one to make the arrangements'....

Everything covered here has been for every human...and thus not just 'Childless folks'

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
Yes...IF we were discussing 'how single people need to get their affairs in order in ways that do not -also- apply to everyone'

Since I haven't seen any handy tips on 'how to leave you estate to non relatives' or 'how to throw a funeral with no one to make the arrangements'....

Everything covered here has been for every human...and thus not just 'Childless folks'

Yes the childless have the same issues as those with children in this context. However, that is how a thought process and dialog develops. To start a new thread, pursuant to your suggestion, would effectively water down the issue.

The intricacies of a childless lifestyle would most likely be swallowed up by the concerns of those who have children....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Yes the childless have the same issues as those with children in this context. However, that is how a thought process and dialog develops. To start a new thread, pursuant to your suggestion, would effectively water down the issue.

The intricacies of a childless lifestyle would most likely be swallowed up by the concerns of those who have children....

Like they already have in this thread? ;)

Originally Posted by Paisley
Offspring should be taught to be independent so they don't need to keep Mom in a third-rate nursing home in order to inherit more money.

etc..etc..

There has been as much discussion about how not to have your kids steal from you as there has been about how 'childless folk in the Golden Era were perceived, the battles they fought, stigmas they faced...

It's -already- been taken over and diluted.....

Carlisle Blues

Miss Neecerie said:
Like they already have in this thread? ;)

Originally Posted by Paisley

etc..etc..

There has been as much discussion about how not to have your kids steal from you as there has been about how 'childless folk in the Golden Era were perceived, the battles they fought, stigmas they faced...

It's -already- been taken over and diluted.....

Then if that is your perception and you want to narrow it, go ahead. Ideas take time to evolve. Non pertinent issues will arise; some of those ideas will bring about a new thread. However, let the thought process flow............this issue is too narrow and to important to be lost. There certainly are too many variables regarding the lifestyle of those who are childless that are pertinent to this discussion, include but are not limited to: children, maybe not yours, but, a spouse's, children you are close to and trust as you would your own.....they can certainly chip away at your funds....these and many other situations speak to "Childless in the Golden Age". No one is an island, to presume otherwise is fodder for another thread.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
OFF TOPIC:

davestlouis said:
I have seen MANY families fight over money, even relatively small sums of money. I have relatives who got into it in the 1960s, fighting over a piece of real estate. They still barely talk to each other, and the property was sold off to pay the attorneys.

See Charles Dickens's classic "Bleak House" and the infamous Chancery suit of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce. The story of an estate said to be worth several hundreds of thousands of pounds Sterling in the 1850s - millions today - eaten up in "costs".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner