Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Children?

How many children do you have?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 9+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I forgot about the Golden Era family size. My father was an only child and my mother was one of three. Their turn of the century families were completely different though. My grandmother was one of eight and my grandfather was one of thirteen. :eek:
Many of my grandmother's siblings died in the influenza problems they had early at the beginning of last century. Mamie, Alvina, John and another child didn't make it beyond 1919. Jack, Helen, Tony and Emma did.
I can't remember all the names on my grandfather's side. I wonder how parents of that many children remember. :p I can only remember Alfred, Edward, Joseph and Velma. [huh]

Regards,

J

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm only 19, and don't plan on having kids for a good while, but my boyfriend and I talk about what sort of family we would like in the future if we end up marrying.

I'm an only child, and he's the baby of his family, with two older sisters. At most I've only wanted two children (population control!), but he's always wanted three. Recently, he's said to me that he would actually rather just have two children and then adopt a third if he really wanted one. I was rather happily surprised by that statement, since he was so adament about having three biological children before. So maybe one day that's what my family will be like.

Mr. 'H' said:
Wow!

Nobody so far has 5 children; that's a sign of the times.

But it is totally as expected.

I might have been born at night but not last night. :p
Just think of trying to put 5 children through college at the same time if their ages were relatively close! :eek:
It is a sign of the times because higher education is not optional any more. For me, public education is no longer an option so that adds even more cost. [huh] Over the course of your lifetime educating 5 children through a BA would involve millions of dollars. :eek: I know there are scholarships and the like but millions of dollars worth?! [huh]
I am glad to at least see there is a definite sense of responsiblity to having children on the Lounge. Whether it is money or time, children do take up a bit of it. If you aren't willing to give up a little of both then parenting is not your bag.

Regards,

J

P.S. Did I mention the necessary use of antacids and heart medications? :p ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
It is a sign of the times because higher education is not optional any more. For me, public education is no longer an option so that adds even more cost. [huh] Over the course of your lifetime educating 5 children through a BA would involve millions of dollars. :eek: I know there are scholarships and the like but millions of dollars worth?! [huh]

If my parents had waited until they were able to afford full-blown college educations for each kid before having them I still wouldn't be born. lol

-Viola

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The first (and likely only one) is in the oven right now. Should be done about July 9th. My wife and I are going to Japan next month. It's a lot easier to travel while the tot is still in his or her original packaging!;)

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't have any babies yet but, I don't have a husband either.

When I get married, whenever that will be, I'd like to have a child or two. If I don't get married, or get married after the old eggs stop cranking themselves out, I'll adopt a child or two. Then again, I might get to a point where I really like my single carefree life and not want babies since I've been childless thus far.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I don't think I'll ever be a father - because I don't want to. (nor do I want to get married)
Mother, on the other hand, wants grandchildren so badly, that everytime she sees me talking with a girl she starts thinking of baby names and wedding invites.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love children. If there's a gathering with kids, I'll usually be the one tumbling around on the floor with them or playing hide and seek. My nephews and niece are very close to me, and my niece at three years old is already sharing my love of vintage clothing and jewelery ("Princess Bling Bling" is said to be my reincarnation...which is a bit disconcerting, as I'm not dead yet!).

I made a conscious decision some time ago that I would not have children, even though I had a partner who was keen on the whole marriage and large brood thing. He even said he would support me in continuing to dive and travel to remote locations. But, as has been said here, children are not a responsibility to be taken lightly. I couldn't stick them in a backpack to head off for a couple of weeks diving on a liveaboard boat in the middle of Micronesia. No more late night cocktails. No more freedom to go where I want, when I want. I just couldn't ask them to live my life - it wouldn't be fair to either myself or, more importantly, any hypothetical child.

Perhaps circumstances may change. But for now...I'll just adore my nephews and niece and live my own life on my terms.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
I have four currently, one girl and two boys. My daughter will be 5 in June. The boys will be 3 in February, 2 in March, and 1 in July. We plan on having more, although probably not for a year or two. I had a very complicated birth with my last.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd love to have kids, but if I do at my age, they'll be entering college around the time I'll be thinking about retirement. Still, my Dad was 55 when I was born, so it's not like it's never been done before.

Gotta find a gal and get married first, though, and that has eluded me so far.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My mother came from a large family. Her parents had 12 children, nine of who lived to adulthood. Mother was one of the last born and she is now the only survivor of that large family. Her parents came from large families also.

Who knows what family size my father might have had -- his father died in the polio epidemic of 1916 and his mother died during the Spanish flu epidemic. He was orphaned and raised by an aunt.

Mother was determined to have no more than two children as her family had been very poor. She also saw her own mother overworked and tired from all the kids she had and raised.

karol

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary a few months ago and we have no children. It's been by choice and has worked out well for us. We are still able to have fun with our friend's kids and that has been enough to give us our occasional "kid fix".

Faye Valentine

Daisy Buchanan said:
I don't have any yet, but someday I'd like to have at least three or four, G-d willing!

Faye and Archie, congratulations on the coming of your babies! What an exciting time. Please keep us here at the lounge informed on how you are doing, what you have, and so on. Show pictures, we love baby pictures here on the lounge!! Faye, I hope you have a very easy pregnancy and easier birth! Same to your wife, Archie.

Thank you soo much Daisy! You are so sweet! I truly appreciate those kind words! It made my day :)

The pregnancy is great so far. My eczema isn't acting up like in my last pregnancy. However, I'm on my 4th month but still getting "morning" sickness :( Sorry this post was a bit :eek:fftopic:

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Being that I'm unmarried with the lovely title of Miss before my name, I have no children, yet. But, I want as many as I can graciously afford to have, which, I suppose, will depend upon the man I marry considering I also want to stay home. Ooh, have to be careful about that one, may sound like a golddigger.:)

L_H

Warden

One Too Many
What ho gang

We have 2 children, our son is 4 months and our daughter is 3 years old.

Mrs W wants another and I think that would be kinda fun. Would like a bit of an age gap as we are still in the sleepless night zone, but saying that I am not getting any younger, so I need to get a move on or else I will be to old to play football with my children.

However Mrs W is 12 years younger than me, so I guess we have a little while before the clock start ticking.

Warden D

Viviene

Vendor
We have two daughters ages 9 and 8. Since I'm 47 and DH is 51 you can do the math. We tried a long time to have kids and it finally happened. We've made some very hard financial choices such as giving up a career with the phone company (smartest thing I've ever done) and work from home with my internet stores.

DH has 1 sister and 4 step siblings. I have 1 sister and 2 brothers. 2 is what we can handle in every way and DH adores his girls as do I. We had 15 years of no children before they came along and I have to say they are keeping us young and playful which is a wonderful thing and have added so much to our lives. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy