Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chip Work Boots? Anyone?

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Sportsmans Guide had them a while back and I bought a pair for about that same price. I think they're the same ones that LL Bean sells for $129.

I really like mine.

Les

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah...

I have had a pair for about a month now & couldn't be more pleased with them. Tough & durable, they still feel great after a whole day on my feet, well worth the $$$. When I am a little more flush I am thinking 'bout another pair in fact. A 9 out of 10, IMO.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Les Gillis said:
Sportsmans Guide had them a while back and I bought a pair for about that same price. I think they're the same ones that LL Bean sells for $129.

I really like mine.

Les

LL Bean has them for 149!!!!! Shipping's free though.

I have a pair and I love them.

Baggers

Practically Family
I bought a pair from L. L. Bean back at the beginning of the year. Wore them all spring and just pulled them out of the closet for a trip up to Colorado earlier this week. They're very stiff when new and the back of my ankles had to adjust to the boot collars hitting them, but once broken in they feel great, even after a day's walking on pavement.

One change I keep forgetting to make though is swapping out the laces. The original ones are a very stiff round braided waxed style that can slip off the top speed hooks if I try to lace them so the collar is loose (see previous paragraph). I've got a pair of flat brown cotton laces that I intend to try.

All in all, a well made sturdy boot.

Cheers!

kools

Practically Family
I've had mine for two years and they have worked hard for me. Very durable; a bit heavy. 9 out of 10.

Jay

Practically Family
I agree with everyone. They are sturdy and tough as hell, taking them through the worst thorns and brambles in Southern Jersey here has yielding no chunks of leather torn up and no scratches. Not to mention that the insole on these are made out of... Foam or gel or some sort of ridiculously comfortable material. Just remember to shine 'em up nice when they arrive, pending they come in a flat color like mine did.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm glad to hear so many positive comments about these! I can't wait until mine arrive!

I'm really glad that I found them...IMO, very vintage looking. And a great alternative to the Alden Indy boot.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I just bought those same boots from LL Bean in a 14 med and I love mine. I had a similar pair of Chippewa brogans that lasted for many years. I was very happy to see them offered again. You won't be disappointed;)

Baggers

Practically Family
A bit late, but for those interested, I finally swapped out the round waxed laces on mine with a pair of plain flat brown ones and they look great. Mine were 36 inch length, but 40 inch will work perfectly if you don't want a lot of excess flopping around after tying the knot. But don't do this with new boots. Use the originals until the leather has broken in and the eyelets are closer together, then make the change.

Cheers!

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Is anyone willing to share pictures of their boots?

I would, but my daughter ran off with the camera because she lost hers. I guess another shot of them is on Beans site.

I saw very similar brogans on The Shawshank Redemption(prisoners wore them) and wanted a pair since. Mine are now broken in and seem to be getting lighter in weight. I still have issue with the stiff strings, and will be switching them out soon. I still like mine a lot...have them on now;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
Is anyone willing to share pictures of their boots?
IMG_3357.jpg

kodou

New in Town
i'm glad i found this thread.
i'm a long time lurker and looking to buy my first pairs of boots. here's an old ebay auction showing some vintage chip's. I'd heard not so great things about the current production model on another forum, but the comments here are more reassuring and have me itching to make a purchase. These are some purdy boots, not to mention still made in the USA.

Has anyone else ordered through bootsUSA, b/c their price is hard to beat. I know sizes change from last to last and brand to brand, so how do these run? I'd love to make these and some Redwing GT's my first pairs.

Mark George

New in Town
Kodou,

I recently got a pair of Chippewa packers from BootsUSA, and I thought the service, advice, and price were outstanding. I called them last week to order some of these work boots, and was told they are smooth out. All sizes. Apparently, they were originally made for LL Bean, and the ones at BootsUSA were overruns and blems. LL Bean still has them, as long as you are a "D" width, and don't mind the $ 149.00 price tag.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...reId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=503383-sub2

They are slick looking boots.

Mark

kodou

New in Town
LL BEan is what had me apprehensive. Apparently, LLB owns chippewa now? Or something to that effect...anyways, things like that usually result in a lower quality product.

It's fine if USABoots are sold out for now. I can wait. ;)
Then again, I wonder if overruns only happen around the holiday season, as manufacturers gear up for forecasted holiday sales. hmm...

Mark George

New in Town
Chippewa is owned by Justin Brands (Justin, Nocona, Tony Lama, and Chippewa), and their domestic boots are made in El Paso. I was apprehensive about getting Chippewas based on the poor quality of current Justin boots. So far, the Chippewas seem to be pretty decent, and I can't detect any of the cardboard parts that Justin tends to use these days. However, time will tell.

The gent at BootsUSA indicated that they will not be getting any more of the short engineer's boots, but who knows? Stranger things have happened...

Good luck,

Mark

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I just had my Chippewa's in for retreads. The shoe shop suggested Vibram's Gumlight. They look like the orginal soles, but lightweight and comfy;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy