Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHP / Columbia jackets

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Lovely jacket. Those Sam Browne belts are superb......any extra pockets or tricks up your sleeve? Is a shame you cant customise the lining. Plain black is all they offer....wouldnt mind getting funky with the lining....

Black and white checkerboard look killer in a bikers jacket. Linings are fun, and nobody really sees them so it's nice to get a little wild. Many makers don't do it though.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
any extra pockets or tricks up your sleeve?

It's the Columbia with all the bells and whistles. 10 pocket (2 hand warmers, 1 chest, 1 watch, 2 outside sleeve, 1 inside pistol, 2 inside wallet and 1 secret stash pocket sewn into the inside lining just inside the left arm sleeve). The only thing this jacket doesn't have are the snaps for the optional fur collar.

I actually really like the lining the way it is, but I can understand how others may want something other than just black.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
That columbia is black cow with brass hardware. It feel's like it pushes 15#. Thought it fit well for off the rack. Waiting for a nice rainy day to break it in.

Ahhh, OK. It will be heavy in Cow with the belt. Mine is a off the rack 50 and with belt weighs 10# even

Lovely jacket. Those Sam Browne belts are superb......any extra pockets or tricks up your sleeve? Is a shame you cant customise the lining. Plain black is all they offer....wouldnt mind getting funky with the lining....

The lining is really nice. I'm sure they want to control the lining so that they provide something that will stand up to the rigors of heavy leather and heavy use.

Aero also has some restrictions on what liners they will use on their heavier jackets. Same with zippers. I'm referring to the old Aero, where if you deviated on some of their jackets from a certain lining or zip type, they wouldn't warranty the liner or zip.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The black does look cool. I just thought when getting a custom made beast like this and for the premium paid, a funky, or unique lining of my choice might have been possible. I understand why it isnt, and Ive loved dealing with Langlitz, it would have been cool to design something that was totally mine, lining included. Bloody nice jacket though.....

andy b.

One of the Regulars
latest old police cycle jacket purchase

I've been trying to find a certain style of leather jacket for a while now. I did pick up a Schott cafe racer, but I was also looking for one of the asymmetrical zip motorcycle jackets. A few things I was looking for was side lacing adjusters, no waist belt, heavy leather, decent inside pocket, not a lot of extra bling (like twenty pockets and fifty chrome do-dads), and preferably brass zippers. As I was searching, I found that a lot of the old police jackets fit this description. There is a certain style I see a lot of for sale with no tags, but the stitching and cut of the jackets are all the same, so I figure it was some decent manufacturer who made them, but didn't put labels in them. I think these jackets are 30 years old or so, maybe some are older. I took a chance on one recently and it arrived a few days ago.

Of course, the first thing I did was toss it in the washer. The genius who came up with that idea is a hero in my book. Cold water, gentle cycle, gentle spin, and Woolite. Then I put it in the dryer with warm towels and very low heat for maybe 15 minutes to start the drying process, hang it up, and after two days it is dry and ready for some Obenauf's LP.

This jacket is HEAVY. It weighs over 7 pounds, has only a very light lining, and is cut for a trim 38-40 chest. The leather is over 4 oz just on the side gussets, and they are the thinnest material on the jacket. To tell the truth, it was almost too heavy, but I was looking for a heavy jacket, and 3 oz leather wasn't going to cut it. I have posted some photos. I have some comments on the fit, but I'm wondering what you guys think? And I know, my jet black hair is WAY too long in front. I need to cut it. :p

Unzipped
police_unz_front.jpg

police_unz_back.jpg

Zipped
police_zip_front.jpg

police_zip_back.jpg

police_zip_side.jpg

Arms crossed
police_zip_side_cross.jpg

police_zip_back_cross.jpg

Andy B.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great fit Andy. I like those jackets vey much. I was looking for something similar. I ended up with a cracking Vanson CHP in chocolate brown. A couple of hand warmer pockets, side lacing, detach fur collar etc. simple, but with great details and brass hardware, leather lined pockets etc....great find fom you...a nice simple, heavy duty classic...

Edward

Bartender
These are really nice. If only I could find one without the side lacing I'd go for it. An ex issue model tends to be a great bargain compared to buying a similar (in both quality and design) issue model.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
These are really nice. If only I could find one without the side lacing I'd go for it. An ex issue model tends to be a great bargain compared to buying a similar (in both quality and design) issue model.

That's funny. It seemed that all I was finding were ones with belts, or both belts and side lacing. Look at it this way, if you were fairly confident your waist size wasn't going to change much, you could always have the leather flaps with the eyelets removed and the side gusset cut and sewn so it just looked like a small side panel. I will say this though, I was just wearing a normal t-shirt in the photos above (not a thin undershirt). If I was to wear something thicker like a heavy rugby shirt, I would have to loosen the lacing slightly. The jacket is fairly fitted and I originally had the lacing fairly loose. It looked odd at the waist because it does sit rather high.

Which brings me to a comment on fit. The armscye opening is smaller than a modern baggy cut. Also, the jacket puts a fair amount of weight on your shoulders when wearing it unzipped. When the lacing is adjusted properly, and the jacket is zipped, the kidney protector and heavy front panels almost rest on your hips and remove most of the weight from your shoulders. Then, when in a seated position, the jacket has almost zero rise. It doesn't feel like it's being held up by your thighs and lap. If the body was longer, I think it would be uncomfortably stiff to sit in. Like I said, I have no idea how old the jacket is (the Serval main zipper looks 30 years old), but it sill easily stands up by itself. I don't believe the leather would ever soften to the point it would drape like broken-in 3 oz cowhide.

Andy B.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Most of these jackets were made by Cal Leathers formally Star glove Co. They were custom Made mostly for CHP . They're still in business in Ventura California. I spoke with them about a vintage HH I bought for my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy b.

One of the Regulars
pilot error,

I see my thread got merged with this one. I do wish there were more photos in this thread. I was thinking Cal Leathers is probably the closest to what I have, but so many of them turn up online for sale without any tags, that I really wasn't sure. If that's what I have, then I am happy with it. I know it isn't a Langlitz because of how Langlitz sews the stitching on the kidney belt.

Andy B.

I just realized this thread's from 2010! I absolutely love CHP jackets, and if there's a reason for one to turn to Lost Worlds, their CHP jacket would it, but... did Aero really used to make this style? Can anyone please share some photos of their version?

EDIT: Oh, just found some photos on Insurrection, so never mind. Still, Lost Worlds looks more authentic to me!

Last edited:

andy b.

One of the Regulars
That's a nice looking jacket!
This thread needs more photos. :)

Anyone know around what time frame this style of jacket started being manufactured?

Andy B.

Anyone knows where I could buy chain pulls similar to the one above, on the CHP jacket picture? Don't need to be no original vintage Talon or anything, just something similar. Searching for 'chain pull zipper' on eBay does nothing, apparently. Thanks!

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
I just got a real nice early 80 or late 70s Vanson CHP with the like brand new button on collar in size 48.

It has Talon zippers on main and sleeve sippers. I cleaned it all up and replaced one side of the main zipper. Now it is very nice collectable wearable jacket.

Someone along the way carefully removed the belt holders by cutting just the stitching out, Vanson will replace for them for 40-60 if you want them. Other than that it is all original and now it needs a new home.

I got it for a real low price in a deal for 4 jackets so if anyone wants it let me know or I will trade for lkq jacket in brown. I have lots of pics also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot