Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christina Aguilera's video to Candyman! Wow.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
yes. they were kitsch in a GOOD way.

Isn't that a matter of opinion though?

[huh]

To me kitsch is kitsch no matter what era it's from.

No doubt someone will disagree with me, but I get the feeling that if this song was released in a different era it'd get far more support on here. I understand this is a vintage themed forum, but there seems to be a view that all new stuff is wrong (mainly because it's new)

I'm like a few others, not usually a fan of Christina's music, and watched this expecting to hate it. I was pleasantly suprised though, it's fun, with some great outfits, and I'll be much happier if this comes on the radio than most other pop music right now.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
herringbonekid said:
yes. they were kitsch in a GOOD way.

Where's the line then? At least in your view. Everybody has different taste and I didn't mean to imply yours was wrong or bad.

For every "Andrews Sisters" there were a dozen similar acts that never made it big, all doing the same kind of music. They weren't the first or unique, so what makes them kitsch, good or bad?

I guess my point is, if I have one, pop is pop. Controlling for era, if it's catchy and you can dance to it, it's good pop.

In this case, Christina's song would probably have been as or more popular then (though she might have had to change a lyric or two) as it is now.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My guesse is that the Andrew Sisters were "corny" even then!
So what are we talking about?
If you read books and personal records of that time, you will realize that young people behaved just as "bad" or - as I prefere to call it - normal as today.
There was a war on for petes sake. You did not know wether you lived or died. And you lived like that!
Anything else is a romantic cover-up.

But if our bartender dont want us to go down that road - ok:
"Don't mention the war!" as they say.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I agree.

TheKitschGoth said:
No doubt someone will disagree with me, but I get the feeling that if this song was released in a different era it'd get far more support on here. I understand this is a vintage themed forum, but there seems to be a view that all new stuff is wrong (mainly because it's new)

Brooksie

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
brooksie,

my objections to the outfit isn't so much that it's skimpy, but that she looks like a daddy long-legs in it. IMO, she's much too thin for such an outfit! i think those look much better on girls with some curve to them :)

i hope i didn't come off sounding like a puritan before!

Oh no no, I did not take it that way at all and (she does have a cute figure) but I do agree she does look very Looooong in that out fit.

Brooksie

Daisy Buchanan

TheKitschGoth said:
Isn't that a matter of opinion though?

[huh]

To me kitsch is kitsch no matter what era it's from.

I'm like a few others, not usually a fan of Christina's music, and watched this expecting to hate it. I was pleasantly suprised though, it's fun, with some great outfits, and I'll be much happier if this comes on the radio than most other pop music right now.

Hiya!

I don't think anybody here was saying that they didn't like the song. From what I've heard here, a lot of people are surprised in themselves for liking it. Not because it's not vintage, but because it's Christina Aguilera, a singer they had never shown interest in before. A lot of us are pleasantly surprised by her performance. So, it wasn't a matter of anybody not liking the song per say, but a matter of the difference between then and now in the open sexuality that is evident in pop culture today, and more hush hush during the golden era.
A few days ago I made a comment in regards to the song and the video, saying that I enjoyed it but wasn't all that keen on some of the lyrics. This hasn't anything to do with me being stuck in another time. It has to do with the fact that the singer is a role model for young girls, and I think some of the lyrics are inappropriate for said girls.
I'll agree with others on the forum. There is a big difference between then and now. There are a lot of things that I love about the era I live in, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to live without them. But one of the things I wish we could bring back from the golden era is the modesty of it. Of course there was a lot of "naughtiness" going on back then. But, it was for the most part kept behind closed doors. There is a difference between sexiness too. Today, girls walk around half dressed, with their belly rings showing and there thongs higher than their pants. During the golden era a woman expressed her sex appeal in the cut of her clothes and with her seamed stockings. Older wardrobes left a lot to the imagination. IMO, I think this is a lot sexier then walking around half naked. There are lots of ways that a woman can be sexy, for example the clothes of the 30's really showed off the lines of a woman's body. Just my opinion, modesty can be attractive. A lot of people might also find a higher level of excitement from doing something that is seen as taboo. Behind closed doors, doing things that nobody will talk about, knowing that people might wonder what's going on behind those doors even though these thoughts were also considered taboo, all of this "sneaking around" might just lead to a higher level of excitement.
This isn't me seeing the world through rose colored glasses. I just think that the hidden nature of sex as it was, was incredibly sexy. How exciting can encounters be if nothing is left to the imagination?
In today's world most men know what they are getting in a woman before they close the door. For a lot of women today scantily clad. But, sometimes not knowing can build up the excitement of an encounter. I guess what I'm trying to say is the women of the golden era were teases. Yes, today's women tease too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. However the execution of such teasing can be done in a very tasteful way. I think the women of the golden era really knew how to do this. Again, look at how form fitting and flattering the clothes were. Pictures I've seen show the sweetest faces yet very flirty clothes. Flirty, yet fully dressed.
Since the dawn of time women have been flirting with men. The execution of this flirting has changed dramatically in the last 60 years.

OK, sorry to go on like that but one of the things I love about the golden era is how it seems that a lady could be a flirt and be sexy and beautiful, and not feel like the only way she could achieve this by showing a substantial amount of skin. The media, music, movies etc. show so many pictures of these half dressed young women, and they have taken what was once modest, yet very sexy, to a new level that comes across, IMO, in a bad way. I am in no way a prude, but I wish that the media would stop throwing sex in my face. It's something that should definitely be enjoyed, but it is private and I wish it would have stayed that way. There was a day when women would flirt with their wits. Now it seems that girls think flirting is when you show your ti..........

Wow though, I may not agree with all of Christina's wardrobe choices, out of all the young lady singers out there today, she (IMO) has the best voice. She has proven to be incredibly versatile in her music choices, she can hit every note without using a false vibretto (sp??). And, as I stated earlier, she is managing to keep her reputation in check. She seems to be truly focused on her career, she appears to really want to work hard to make something of herself. She's not doing outrageous things to keep her face in the spotlight. She is getting noticed for her hard work, and credited as the great singer that she is. In comparison to the other gals who started in the business at a young age and ended up going wild and being constantly followed by the media, she is in the media for what she has always done, sing....and boy o boy, she sure can sing.

Roaring Days

Familiar Face
Remains to be seen if it continues or if other artists take this start and run with it.

and the Male reply of the Uniform situation, listen to the Skyhooks song 'Woman in Uniform' (around 1975, great Australian Rock Band from that era) and know that we blokes pay homage to the uniform when worn by a woman as well....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"Since the dawn of time women have been flirting with men. The execution of this flirting has changed dramatically in the last 60 years."
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Well said, Daisy!!! And a very wellwritten post. Thank you

Daisy Buchanan

Spitfire said:
"Since the dawn of time women have been flirting with men. The execution of this flirting has changed dramatically in the last 60 years."
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Well said, Daisy!!! And a very wellwritten post. Thank you

Why thank you Mr. Spitfire!! ;) ****Daisy gives a little flirtatious wink*****

Viviene

Vendor
I enjoyed the music and I will buy it and play it in my car the same way I do my Brian Setzer cds. Full blast with my windows open and the wind blowing through my hair singing right along.

Daisy Buchanan

Viviene said:
I enjoyed the music and I will buy it and play it in my car the same way I do my Brian Setzer cds. Full blast with my windows open and the wind blowing through my hair singing right along.
I'm right there with ya Vivienne, as soon as it's above freezing here in New England, I'll be doing the same thing:)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid said:
this sort of mall-bright chirpy pop confection makes me feel nauseous at the best of times. that it is referencing music and styles from one of my favourite decades is like some sort of very elaborate torture method.

Me too.

Steve

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Is that while the other men are squabbling, I am paying attention to the pretty girl in the room.
Smart fellow! :eusa_clap

The video has some flair, and the song has its good points, but the whole thing suffers from too much modern influence. The first minute was the best part; though the pin-up outfit rivaled it quite a bit. ;)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
My question was, to what extent did the era's moral standards still hold weight with people during WWII?

I've always believed that although people fell short of socially accepted standards, which back then were more conservative, that it doesn't discount the striving to reach or stay within those accepted norms. It's true that some people disregarded them, or rebelled, or didn't care, but I do see value in some healthy shame. (Yes, I know, I probably just made some enemies by suggesting some shame is a good thing.)

Perhaps a better word is "boundaries." People knew if they had stepped out of line, and maybe even experienced some guilt about it. Maybe there would have been even more infidelity and indiscretions without those clear and accepted boundaries. I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters