Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Jacket No. 3 Alexanders "Roadster" in Oilpull Steer

Plumbline

One Too Many
Bought this on the "Outlet" for £300 to replace my 44" Highwayman which was too big .... I had an almost identical jacket to this in 2005 ( and I mean "almost" identical even down to the hide ) the only difference was it was lined in "Grant" flannel cotton and was a Highwayman. This is about 2" trimmer in the body than the 42" highwayman and 1" trimmer in the shoulder. Pockets are lined in brown moleskin and it only has 1 inside pocket :(. Chunky No.8 zipper is also just like my original Highwayman .... It was " apprentice made" but you'd never tell :) and it's lined in Lochcarron "Cornish Tartan" which is a bit lairy but I like that :)

The leather is stunning .... pliable, thick and with a great oil-pull finish .... slightly thicker than my old Highwayman but no less flexible ... amazing !

As with previous Alexanders posts .. no company bashing please and also re. fit ... I like the fit, I don't need comments on fit thanks.

IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
oh and the downside of the Outlet .. is it's got stormcuffs ... but I have a plan brewing to get rid of them :)

dan_t

Practically Family
Love it Plumbline!
Just curious, on my AL (Arkansas) the inner & outer chest pockets appear to be very similar to yours. They have a tendency to overlap only slightly, creating a small amount of 'bulkiness'.
Do you have a similar effect with this?

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just a little .. Identical to any of my jackets with a chest pocket and an inner pocket ( Alexander's / Aeros / Eastman ) they all did it. I don't notice it much but there is a distinct difference left side to right side ( it's one of the reasons I veered away from the chest pocket on my Adventurer. It's more the pocket bags and the excess leather trim inside than the pockets themselves.

It's no biggie though and a feature of chest pocketed jackets IMHO

thor

Call Me a Cab
Very nice PL; is that oil-pull steer about the same weight/thickness as CXL steer, I wonder? Is it a smoother hide or is grain starting to pop as you wear it? Congrats!

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's very similar in weight to CXL ant totally different to the previous " napped" oil pull which both Aero and Alexander's did. It is smoothest but is really developing grain and character straight out of the box. It's not grainy veg tanned steer ,,, more like a satin CXL. Will see if I can get some pics.

It's really nice and I'm liking it a lot.

rolf s

New in Town
Looks very good, hope to see some more photos. The lining is perfect in color to the brown leather

Last edited:

samo

One of the Regulars
The fit, leather and tartan lining are really great. Hopefully AL will increase their leather range, because I think that since they stick with Horween a lot of some really nice leathers gone and could be found only in their outlet?

P.S.: 3 Christmas jackets? Plumbline, You are probably the worst "jacketholic" around :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Not the worst ... but certainly a regular user :)

The usual Horween suspects are there ... but they also stock a wide variety of others including many really nice and obscure hides like "Mongolian Horse" which I haven't seen in many places and which has a REALLY nice hand ( almost like the old oil pull horse that Aero had a few years ago but thinner with less nap). The Black Jerky Horse, Horween Bison, Black Goat, Russet Goat, Veg Tanned Russet Buffalo ( I believe they are getting this in again ) are stunning.

It's always best to phone as often times many of the hides they have don't make it up to the website pull down menu ..... this goes for many of the jacket manufacturers and I would always recommend that buyers phone, discuss the options with the manufacturer, obtain samples and think it over. Equally with Aero / Alexanders / Bill Kelso / Eastman / Lost Worlds etc. etc. these guys are great to deal with and will usually be able to interpret and offer options that will help in making your jacket buying experience a great one ( these are not cheap items).

Thanks for the kind words though ... :)

rolf s

New in Town
How dark is the color? It would be really nice to see some outdoor pictures. Im thinking about getting a jacket with this leather if they still have it in stock

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Nice. I had AL Roadster like your jacket with a fine green lining, size 44. Bought it like new and sold it like new. It was too nice to wear. I have another AL jacket in a similar hide that is a keeper. They just fit me as well as anything out there for sale. I have lusted after several of their jackets by the ebay seller. Made offers on a couple. I have not seen any used AL on ebay and I used to see quite a few. I've got pics of my jacket somewhere. You can tell me what hide they call it. It was very soft, supple, pebbled, with some weight to it that you don't notice until you put it on. Very comfortable wear. Fortunately for me the next to new used ones of ebay have dried up.

Terry

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to hijacket, but you know their leathers. What is this Roadster leather? this jacket has the older label in white, I thought one of their earlier jackts. It was well made as is my other.

DSC07441.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR