Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy's of London

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
I started posting on here about Christy's of London a while ago. I decided to follow up with the emails I received from the company. These are the words of the reps that replied to my emails.

1) Regarding the Adventurer:

Felt Color:

For an all round hat, I would go for a brown coloured hat as this goes well with all the dark colours and looks very smart. The image of the brown Epsom or the Adventurer on the Fur Felt page is a good example."

"The Grey Mix is indeed a long felt and not a smooth felt like the Sable or Light Grey. All the hat bands are stitched in the way you describe, but some customers have had a local tailor alter it to their preferences. The Fur Felt can cope admirably in all weather. If it suffers too badly, a steam and gentle brush can restore the fur fibres back to their normal state."

Ribbon Color:

"Christys have informed me that the following ribbon colours are available:
black, dark brown, brown, green, grey.
If you would like to specify a ribbon colour choice, please send an email directly after placing your order, otherwise the standard ribbon will be sent."

"Thank you for your email. It would be fine to use the Fedora ribbon style on the Adventurer. If you could email me as soon as you have placed the order and I will pass the information on to Christys. Please also let me know if you have any preferences of ribbon colour. There is obviously a standard colour dependent on felt colour, but if you wanted something different they are generally available in black, dark or light brown, grey or elm. "

Regarding the visible ribbon stitching on the band/ bow:

"Thank you for the time you have taken to send your thoughts and pictures of the ribbon stitching. Unfortunately, although we do take on board your comments, this is the way Christys have been making the hats for many years and we are unable to make any changes to this. If you would prefer, we would be happy to send the ribbon unattached and you could have your local tailor stitch it on as you like."

Hat body modifications:

"All Fur Felts are made to order and so it is possible to customise the Adventurer. This means the crown height can be altered, as can the brim size. However, it is not possible to change the taper of the crown as they are made on shaped hat blocks and cannot be adapted.

If you do decide to customise your hat, please email me after placing your order with your specifications so that I can amend your order."

--------------------

These following emails are regarding the fedora style, 2.75" brim on their site, it is also known as the wide brimmed trilby style.

Hat body size and shape:

"Thank you for your email. Yes - it is possible to order the Fedora with an open crown so that you can bash it yourself.

If your head size is inbetween sizes, I would recommend ordering the larger size (60cm) and requesting that some felt reducers be included with your order. These fit inside the sweatband to ensure a snugger fit.

I think the crown height is 5 & 1/2 inches and comes with a 1 & 1/2 inch ribbon but I will need to check these dimensions with Christys as I am unsure! I will be in touch once I hear back from them.

Please remember to email any specifications or requests immediately after placing an order."

They then wrote me with a correction,

"I have now heard from Christys who inform me that the Fedora crown is 4 & 5/8 inches depth inside to top. This can be adjusted to your specifications if required.

With kind regards,"
-----------------------------
Thank you to the other vendors from fedora lounge who helped with this info gathering. I did not post your replies here since hornets is supposed to be the official christy's supplier.

I hope that this post is useful.

GClark

One of the Regulars
So what did you decide? Did you place an order?
Who have you been communicating with - directly with Christy's, or is this HornetHats or some other retailer?

Thanks!
Gordon

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
well...

I did not order the Christy's yet...I ordered a sunbody in the meantime b/c of the season.

hornethats.com via their "contact us" link is how i got my info, I heard back from sarah and justin. a few vendors on here also have been very helpful too.

A felt-hat purchase, at least to me ,is not a trivial buy, and is something I want to last for a long while, similar to a good coat or suit. Having searched the internet for custom makers, I came across:

http://www.couturecreations.net/index.htm

I have posted her work below:

couture1.jpg

couture2b.jpg

... have to say, I like what I see here and its local. For anyone in the Philadelphia metro area, this may be a goldmine for all things hat.

Mary Ann sent me this email:

The beaver referred to on the site mostly refers to ladies hats and a fur felt that has a longer hair. True beaver felts are just that, made of beaver fur and yes are more costly.

Velour is also fur felt which has a velvet like finish. Generally all the felt hats on my site are fur felts ( one or two are wool felts)
I have and do use velour felts for mens hats.

Prices range from about 165.00 (for wool felt) and $225 to $310 for fur and beaver.
A Double faced Velour felt comes in at about $225.00

Similar to VS hats, she will make the block and everything to fit and uses vintage ribbon and materials when possible.

She told me to drop by her studio and see what works when i am in town. So, rather than pay shipping etc, may as well do it in person and get a feel for what works, rather than gamble with mail order.

For a basic hat the Christy's seems fine to me, I may still buy it, I just went ahead with the weather-sensible choice for now. Whatever I end up doing here is going to get posted. thanks for your input earlier- you photos are especially helpful.

I have to admit though, the Christy's adventurer shows a great deal of taper on some people and others it is nearly stove pipe like the fed iv- its really bizarre. I am wondering if their trilby fedora is like that too.....custom made removes the mystery and surprise for sure ;-)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cybergentleman said:
She told me to drop by her studio.........may as well do it in person and get a feel for what works, rather than gamble with mail order.
This is absolutely The Best way to buy a hat; particularly the first one.

Tone

A-List Customer
So it's actually been TRUE this whole time?! A Christys, ordered through Hornetshats, can be modified (crown height among other specs) exactly the way it's been stated across the web for years now? And for only around $100 total?! :)

Wait. So - one can order among a variety of Christys fur felt hats through Hornetshats (the shop that Christys of London will steer inquiries toward) then they can also email Hornets with "reasonable" customization requests; and those requests are fulfilled by Christys?

If the default crown at 5 3/4" turns out to be a bit "much" (though it is close in height to the Federation IV that way for those who like 'em that tall) one can order their own crown height (within reason) to suit their needs?

So - someone could order the default 5 3/4" and c-crown it into a typical fedora OR order something shorter to suit an alternate crease? And Christys fills this request? For around $100?! :eek:

But - the Christys can be ordered with a variance on the brim widths for those who are looking for something more suited than what's out there on other hats by default? A different ribbon choice, too?

It's all been - true?! :eusa_doh:

Glad to hear you've found a store that has hats to suit your needs, Cyb. The Christys Adventurer looks great tapered or straight-creased, but yes, it is the same block for either version. Stovepiped, it's not, however. ;)

Curious, will this be your very first hat ever? There seems to be an excessive concern about the ribbon riding up just a bit above the stitching, in which, after a hat or two, you'll realize, occurs on a few hats (even Akubra); but it's something that really takes a half-second to fix. You cinch the ribbon back down over the stitching. The hat conforms to your head, and soon, the ribbon stays where you want it. Is it that, out of the box, you might have to cinch down a centimeter of the ribbon over the stitching?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Along with Tone I am also curious regarding which hat purchase this is for you. First ever?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
not the first

Hi, no it's not my first, but like anything I buy, I want quality for my money and don't want to compromise. 100 bucks isn't chump change, when it comes to ordering online though, i've had a lot of misfitting items and returns...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
cybergentleman said:
Hi, no it's not my first, but like anything I buy, I want quality for my money and don't want to compromise. 100 bucks isn't chump change...

100 bucks (all said and done) is an outright bargain for a decent felt hat. I have one felt hat that was 95 dollars that is a great hat, but my favorite felt hat cost me over 200 bucks. Just kinda how it is really.

cybergentleman said:
...when it comes to ordering online though, i've had a lot of misfitting items and returns...

I understand your dilemma with ordering on-line. All you can really do is look for a good return policy. Which you know, obviously. Buying something locally is always nice when it comes to clothing, apparel, etc. Local hat places can be rare, so many of us are forced on-line with our wads of cash. :D

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know that 100.00 seems like a good deal for a hat today and it is .But I am certain that these hats are NOT made in England . There are probably Tonak felt hats.
Dont expect the deal of a lifetime with these . Even so, the selection on Hornet Hats website is great. Here in the US we barely have any Christy's felts .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
thanks for the opining

I posted the pics of Mary Ann's work from coutre creations because for me she is relatively local.

Since I go to school abroad, she is local only a few weeks a year ;-) but none the less, I figure, for a hand made, properly fitted hat it's worth the extra money.

In the end, yes, 100 bucks for a nice hat is a good deal, similar to buying a 50 dollar pair of shoes. But in my mind, you can always tell the nunn bush dress shoes bought at kohls apart from the johnston and murphy cap toes.

And like any part of my dressier wardrobe, I think its worth the time and money to make sure it fits right, looks good and is going to last.

...my 2 cents

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Steven, I see what you mean, however I talked to an John Halifax who is in the British hat industry and he told me that the felts used by Christys are made by Tonak but blocked and finnished in England. He also didn't seem like the sort of person to swindle me as he has no personal interest in promoting Christys, being a competitor of them.

Topper

Vendor
Fur Felts are blocked locally by Christys' in England - Been there myself seen them do it.

Fur is made to order due to number of options. So often a 2 week delay unless the hatter :D has stock already pre bought in ( which may just be normally std colours - e.g. brown for the Adventurer, and black for homburgs)

If you want something different then just ask ;)

Tone

A-List Customer
christys07.jpg

Sorry, wanted to put this hat on while all the juicy details unfolded about the Christys. This is so insightful! So it's on the wrong block...and, it's Tonak felt...and they don't customize requests...and anyone who likes it should be considered a potential swindler (unless validated by a "reputable" hatter)...and you can actually get a customized Christys Adventurer (fur felt) for much less from...? Where again? Thanks for all the helpful advice! ;)

I've been ordering - and actually receiving - the hats I spec'd and requested this whole time! And wearing them! And liking them! :eek: :eusa_doh: How can this be fixed?! :rolleyes:

Continue...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
Sorry, wanted to put this hat on while all the juicy details unfolded about the Christys. This is so insightful! So it's on the wrong block...and, it's Tonak felt...and they don't customize requests...and anyone who likes it should be considered a potential swindler (unless validated by a "reputable" hatter)...and you can actually get a customized Christys Adventurer (fur felt) for much less from...? Where again? Thanks for all the helpful advice! ;)
My point was just to demonstrate that Christys are blocked in England and I have reason to believe that the man who told me this was telling the truth. As for the quality, they seemed to have it when I went to Hornet Hats a month ago (alas, I had no money on me and could only look at them). To those who like straight sided crowns, I might also suggest the Foldaway which has a low but very straight sided crown.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FWIW

Last December I had the following correspondence w/ Hornets, they seem very accommodating:

> Dear Hornet Hats,
>
>
>
> I recently received two Christy's Adventurer fedoras & could not be
> more pleased, both are lovely hats.
>
> I am writing to see if it would be possible to have an Adventurer made
> with a matching 5 linge ( 9 mm/ 3/8") ribbon and flat bow with the
> addition of a matching thinly bound brim, not unlike the /Borsalino
> Alessandria or the Stetson Open Road /?
>

Reply: Thank you for your email and apologies for not replying earlier. I am
delighted you are pleased with the hats we supplied.

I have spoken to Christys and the narrowest ribbon they do is a 1/2".
They can do a flat bow and can match the brim with the ribbon.

I hope this helps,

With kind regards,

Justin

Dewhurst

Practically Family
avedwards said:
To those who like straight sided crowns, I might also suggest the Foldaway which has a low but very straight sided crown.

I don't care about straight-sided crowns BUT the Christy's Foldaway is one of the next hats if not THE next hat that I'm going to purchase.

:rage: :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
I don't care about straight-sided crowns BUT the Christy's Foldaway is one of the next hats if not THE next hat that I'm going to purchase.

:rage: :)
Just beware of the low crown. I personally find it too low as I can't pull it down to the level that I wear my other hats (unless I wear it open crown which defeats the object of a fedora). However if Hornet Hats makes them with higher crowns on request then that's a different matter of course.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
two things

Tone: nice hat, i love the bash, also the color looks great in the sunshine- is that the sable color?

as for the foldable trilby and its low crown, why do hats come with such low crowns these days? it's not limited to just brimmed hats, even baseball caps come with low crowns, but like any low crowned hat, you can't wear it properly!

...manufacturers trying to cut cost on material and passing if off as a new trendy style perhaps?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I can only guess that the low crown is what people want as low crowned hats are similar to the cloth trilbies which are currently fashionable with some young people. At least the Adventurer comes with a nice high crown and Hornet Hats may be able to make a Foldaway with a higher crown if asked for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran