Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chronic Illness

Omg, how could I forget the tinnitus - I guess I'm just so used to it.

It's one of those noises I can't recreate in any way, shape or form to have anyone hear how it sounds - sort of a cross between a screech, static, and something else. It is always there, and the quieter my surrounds are the more I hear it...
Ahh, tinnitus. My meager research has shown that it presents itself differently in different people--i.e., the "sound" we hear can differ from person to person. For me it's a constant "whistle" sound combined with a "whooshing" sound, similar to that of a teakettle at full boil. I've had it my entire life and am told the cause is most likely having been shaken violently as an infant by my jealous older sister, but an MRI revealed nothing out of the ordinary (that they could detect) so they had no idea how to treat it. Some times it's more noticeable than others, particularly when there are no other noises to focus on; sometimes it does make it difficult for me to fall asleep. I've learned to live with it, but in recent years it has gotten a bit louder and my concern is that it will continue to do so and that one day that "teakettle" sound will be the only thing I can hear.

Also, and I think this is more of a "condition" than an "illness", the lumbar section of my spine is slowly deteriorating. Two age-related conditions--Spinal Stenosis of the Lumbar region, and Lumbar Spondylosis--are quite common and most people have them, but need no treatment as long as they don't impinge on the nerves as they exit the spinal column. But my primary problem is chronic pain in my lower back, and sometimes in my left leg. In October 2004 I had surgery to repair a herniated L5-S1 disc in my lower back (the disc between the spine and pelvis). I was pain free for a year, then began experiencing intermittent pain that over time became constant. Doctors are unable to determine if this is a result of the initial defect, the surgery, or a combination of the two, but it happens so often they came up with a name for it--Post Laminectomy Syndrome. I've undergone every treatment they could think of, including Radio Frequency Ablation (they use radio waves to literally burn the nerves so the pain signal(s) can't reach the brain, like creating a break in a wire), but nothing worked. Actually that's not entirely true--I did try medical marijuana for a brief period of time. It got rid of the pain, but it only works while you're feeling the psychoactive effects (that is, while you're "stoned") so it wasn't a practical solution for me. Unfortunately, the only other option my doctors' offered were opioids. I rejected that form of treatment because I don't want to have to deal with the negative effects of such drugs, so I take over-the-counter Excedrin Extra Strength, which is a combination of aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine--less harmful in the long run than opioids (as long as I don't drink alcohol). It doesn't eliminate the pain completely, but it takes the "edge" off just enough to allow me to function. Most days, anyway.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Since I was diagnosed in February 2017, I've been living with colon and liver cancer and treatments of chemo and now radiation and the affects from that which is mainly an almost constant weak and tired feeling (it could be worse..just a few years ago it would have been nausea and diarrhea among other miseries). A couple weeks ago they planted radiation beads in my liver by going up through an artery. They will see if this is working to shrink the cancer spots on my liver in three months with a CT scan. The chemo has shrunk them somewhat..although this can't be cured but only treated, kept from spreading and slowed down.
Sadly my Wife passed away in November 2016 of colon and liver cancer. However her's was much more advanced than mine. Since February I was diagnosed with cancer..had a heart attack due to a chemo medicine requiring a stint...a blood infection with a weeks hospital stay then a week of out patient daily anti biotics to cure it...and tomorrow morning is prostate surgery for an enlarged prostate. What a summer for me, but I am still here and everyone says...boy you sure look good..you've been through WHAT..??
Right now and for the next few years I must live with the effects of treatment and the aftermath with the medication in my pillbox. I had hardly ever been sick..visited a doctor..or taken medication until this year when it seems everything hit at once. I must say though that all through this I have been blessed. My cancer hasn't spread...the heart attack was mild..the blood infection was cured and after tomorrow I'll be able to pee again..!! ;)
HD

God bless you and I hope you had a great pee! Seriously, you have a great approach and a winning attitude. I am so sorry to hear you have had to deal with this and the loss of your wife.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I live with chronic PTSD since a very young age. I do not take any medications for it by choice, the reasons for which I do not want to get into. I have been in therapy and made great strides but some things will always remain, it seems. Presently my biggest challenge is perimenopause which has complicated my existing sleep disorders. I spend a lot of time feeling exhausted. I am really looking forward to when "the change" is complete!

Try Aleve (or 'Naproxen' in generic form), if you haven't already. I've found it to help me more than aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen.
I appreciate the suggestion, but when my father-in-law was hospitalized nearly 20 years ago it became necessary to have various discussions about his condition and treatment with the medical staff. Aleve was mentioned during one of them, and one of the nurses strongly advised us to stay away from it and Naproxen. She told us that taking it for very short periods of time (two or three days) to help with temporary muscle soreness is usually okay, but that Bayer (the company that produces it) had seriously down-played the risk of stroke and/or heart attack associated with long-term use and that it contributes to one or the other more often than they wanted to admit publicly. When my current back problems began I discussed this with one of my doctors, and after doing some research he agreed that Aleve/Naproxen was not suitable for long-term use. The Excedrin I take may not be as effective, but it's such a relatively low dose that the risk factors are minimal as long as I stay away from alcohol (regular ingestion of alcohol combined with acetaminophen can seriously damage the kidneys and liver, sometimes fatally).

3fingers

One Too Many
It's odd how pain relievers work differently for people. Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me. I've taken Naproxen short term with good effect, but ibuprofen has been my go to for years.
On the tinnitus, I hear a high pitched electronic sound similar to a carrier wave. It comes and goes, usually bothering me at night when it is very quiet. My wife can't understand how I can sleep better listening to old radio news shows through earbuds.

It's odd how pain relievers work differently for people. Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me. I've taken Naproxen short term with good effect, but ibuprofen has been my go to for years...
Not just pain relievers. We all share a basic biology, but we're still so different and there are so many variables that it often comes down to trial and error to determine which medications work and which don't. I'm usually the anomaly--what works as predicted for 100 other people won't work for me, and the one med that works for me works on few others.

...On the tinnitus, I hear a high pitched electronic sound similar to a carrier wave. It comes and goes, usually bothering me at night when it is very quiet. My wife can't understand how I can sleep better listening to old radio news shows through earbuds.
Sometimes it seems the Tinnitus isn't much more than the brain wanting some form of auditory input, and if it isn't getting any from an external source it creates it's own. I'll occasionally listen to music to help me fall asleep as well because it tends to make the "teakettle" noise less noticeable, but that "remedy" isn't 100% foolproof in my experience.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I appreciate the suggestion, but when my father-in-law was hospitalized nearly 20 years ago it became necessary to have various discussions about his condition and treatment with the medical staff. Aleve was mentioned during one of them, and one of the nurses strongly advised us to stay away from it and Naproxen. She told us that taking it for very short periods of time (two or three days) to help with temporary muscle soreness is usually okay, but that Bayer (the company that produces it) had seriously down-played the risk of stroke and/or heart attack associated with long-term use and that it contributes to one or the other more often than they wanted to admit publicly. When my current back problems began I discussed this with one of my doctors, and after doing some research he agreed that Aleve/Naproxen was not suitable for long-term use. The Excedrin I take may not be as effective, but it's such a relatively low dose that the risk factors are minimal as long as I stay away from alcohol (regular ingestion of alcohol combined with acetaminophen can seriously damage the kidneys and liver, sometimes fatally).

Thanks for the info on this. I don't use Naproxen long term. In fact, I take only very occasionally so I didn't know the long therm effects.

Thanks for the info on this. I don't use Naproxen long term. In fact, I take only very occasionally so I didn't know the long therm effects.
The Internet has enabled a whole lot of hypochondriacs, but there is useful information out there about the various medications doctors prescribe. I like to do the research so that I know what I'm putting into my body and what the potential risks are. I only found out about the negative connection between acetaminophen (Tylenol) and alcohol a few months ago; good thing I've never been a drinker. :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My wife is the IMR (Internet Medical Researcher) in our family. :) When she looks stuff up she often sorry she did.

Asking Dr. Google questions is a recipe for disaster! ;) I think we're all guilty of it, though. In some cases, I've researched an ailment then gone to the doctor and been spot on in my diagnosis. Other times, not so much.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What makes me laugh (sort of) are all the TV commercials now for Rx meds, most often for relief from chronic illnesses. The lists of possible side effects, often including death, make me wonder why anyone would take them, never mind how they got approved by the FDA.

What makes me laugh (sort of) are all the TV commercials now for Rx meds, most often for relief from chronic illnesses. The lists of possible side effects, often including death, make me wonder why anyone would take them, never mind how they got approved by the FDA.
When the Boys are finally called to their long-deserved final judgement, they will be most condemned by their irresponsible, immoral advertising of prescription drugs.

I think my bonafides as being quite willing to denounce The Boys has been established, but the genesis of those long lists of potential side effects is our litigious society where the company's lawyers tell the Boys what they have to say and - and this is true in finance (my field) as well - where the lawyers want us to list all the "risk" factors upfront.

I 100% agree that a patient or investor should be informed of the risks of a drug or investment, but with the lawyers / litigation involved, there is no sense of balance or proportion - no place for common sense. So if two people out of million died from a drug (either because they had other complications or they were just a couple of super crazy one offs) then "death" becomes a potential side effect which, by that standard, makes death a potential side effect of every single drug ever sold.

The same in investing. There is no investment in the recorded history of time that can't - under some scenario - cause you to lose money and, even if we let our imagination run wild, lose all your money. Hence, if you look at the offering docs of investments - the "risk" factor list runs on and on.

My experience is that it is numbing and counterproductive as people ignore them because they hear the same/similar grocery list of drug side effects or investment risk factors all the time. I used to let the lawyers write the risk factor section for me. They were initially surprised by this and the fact that I almost never argued with them (as most line of business people argued every word usually).

When asked, I explained that their lists were so long and numbing that I thought they defeated themselves and investors all but ignored them - which proved out in my case as we, overall, were very successful selling our investment products despite having frightening "risk factor" sections.

My suggestion was two lists - a short one of the true two-standard deviation risks that pass the common sense test of being one an investor should really think about vis-a-vis this particular investment and a second list that covered everything in the universe as they were real if very, very low probability, risks as, in truth, they were risks shared by every single investment ever.

This went over like a lead balloon because "in court" it could be implied that we were trying to "hide" most of the risks. Hence, IMHO, the investor (like the patient evaluating a drug) was worse off as the most likely risks (like the most likely side effects of a drug) weren't highlighted but buried in a long list of every potential long-shot risk in the universe.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Such marketing to the end consumer makes no sense, but people must be showing up at their appointments saying, "I need some of that Exmoral I saw on the teevee that's supposed to cure what I've decided I have."

Such advertising also drives up prescription costs, escalating an already out of control health care cost problem (USA) (along with random drug testing in the workplace).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's not the side effects fine print that bothers me -- it's the fact that prescription drugs are advertised to the lay public at all. They were not, until the 1980s, and they should not be at all. This "ask your doctor if such and such is right for you" mentality has led to to a flood of overmedication, marketing-driven doctor-hopping, and greed-fed corruption of doctors themselves, which in turn has contributed to any number of social crises, not the least of which is the opioid epidemic which has cut a broad swath of addiction and death thru my own corner of the world.

The US is one of only two countries in the world that allows consumer advertising of prescription drugs, and even the AMA -- hardly an organization free of the stink of corruption -- condemns the practice. The Boys don't just deserve to be condemned for their role in this, they deserve to be lined up against a wall and shot.

It's not the side effects fine print that bothers me -- it's the fact that prescription drugs are advertised to the lay public at all. They were not, until the 1990s, and they should not be at all. This "ask your doctor if such and such is right for you" mentality has led to to a flood of overmedication, marketing-driven doctor-hopping, and greed-fed corruption of doctors themselves, which in turn has contributed to any number of social crises, not the least of which is the opioid epidemic which has cut a broad swath of addiction and death thru my own corner of the world.

The Boys don't just deserve to be condemned for their role in this, they deserve to be lined up against a wall and shot.

I need to think more about this, because I know of times where people in my life have had to bring up a medicine or procedures they learned about to their doctor to get it prescribed or have the procedure done - and it's helped.

Sure, the answer to this is better doctors who have more time to spend with the patient - but until then, patients are told to become educated.

Okay, I get that this can quickly become a "how to fix our healthcare system" debate with all the political implications. So, I want to be clear that I am not arguing about the holistic nature of our system - I have my thoughts for sure, but am not advocating them here. I am just saying that in the status quo system we have, every patient needs to be informed and be their own advocate whether they like it or not.

3fingers

One Too Many
It's not the side effects fine print that bothers me -- it's the fact that prescription drugs are advertised to the lay public at all. They were not, until the 1990s, and they should not be at all. This "ask your doctor if such and such is right for you" mentality has led to to a flood of overmedication, marketing-driven doctor-hopping, and greed-fed corruption of doctors themselves, which in turn has contributed to any number of social crises, not the least of which is the opioid epidemic which has cut a broad swath of addiction and death thru my own corner of the world.

The Boys don't just deserve to be condemned for their role in this, they deserve to be lined up against a wall and shot.
My mother was a nurse in doctors offices for years. The practice that she retired from banned drug reps visiting and all of their free stuff from the premises. The reps were all shocked and horrified that they were limited to quietly leaving their new drug information with the receptionist and just as quietly leaving. Any violators were banned completely. The docs would go over what was left and research what interested them on their own time. Once the employees got past not getting free lunch 2 or 3 times a week they liked it too.
She would have agreed with you on the advertising to the public. People would come in and want scrips for things they didn't even need.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Anyone who wants to can buy a Merck Manual and find sound information on prescription drugs if they want to research such things and discuss them with their doctors. But marketing-driven drug manufactuer websites and slick, emotionally-manipulative advertising of prescription drugs have no place in any society with any pretense at all of moral decency.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My MiL had (probably more than) one of these at her beside for years:

51Qc%2BumCMML._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

She was not a well woman for many of her later adult years, but the whole thing almost completely preoccupied her every waking moment, or so it seemed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner