Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CHURCHILL HATS

Did a quick research on Churchill from N-M and came up with this great thread! HatRak, the Churchill cowboy hat that I just picked up on ebay looks an awful lot like yours. Wasn't sure how I'll look with a feather band, but if it works half as good on my head as it did on yours, I'll be a happy camper.

auction pics:

churchill2.jpg

churchill1.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I just got my sage/olive green Churchill back from a brim trim at Optimo. I'll try to take a pic or two shortly. The Optimo folks did a good job, but got a little overzealous and bashed it into a smooth teardrop which feels a little low for my (probably pointed!) head. Now it looks much like the new Stratoliner I've read about here. My plan: stretch it a bit more to my 7 size and keep it on the hat jack at night, and raise the central dome to clear my brain pan.

Anyway, it's a consignment store special, $12.00, with a dark brown sweatband inscribed "Porter's - New Orleans," a store that went out of business in the mid-'70s, I'm told. The dark satiny-looking liner is labeled "Churchill Ltd." It has a nice soft felt. I'm beginning to think thin ribbon hats are My Style (tm), as this makes my third.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Churchill hats will never, never never give up...

OK, I just got my Churchill 25 in silverbelly (or it might be Dove Gray, I'm not sure)...

scaled.php

scaled.php

I am pleased with it. The felt is very nice to the feel. It is brand new, never been worn. In fact, it was still open crown when I got it.

It took a crease nicely, too.

I have to say, even though it is relatively new (1990s earliest here) I think it is pretty nice. I paid $45 so, I don't feel that was too bad on price.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Churchill hats will never, never never give up...

OK, I just got my Churchill 25 in silverbelly (or it might be Dove Gray, I'm not sure)...

scaled.php

scaled.php

I am pleased with it. The felt is very nice to the feel. It is brand new, never been worn. In fact, it was still open crown when I got it.

It took a crease nicely, too.

I have to say, even though it is relatively new (1990s earliest here) I think it is pretty nice. I paid $45 so, I don't feel that was too bad on price.

I'd think 60s or 70s at the latest. I can't imagine Neiman Marcus was selling nice, fur felt hats for $25 in the 1990s.

Incidentally, I have a Churchill 25 Open Road clone and a Beaver 50 western. They're both very nice hats . . . I like the felt in the Churchill 50 better than the felt in my Stetson 7XCB (it feels silkier and is more finely pounced).

HatsEnough

Banned
Well, I didn't say they were selling it for $25. Its model name is "25" but I don't know that this guarantees that it was going for $25 when brand new.
Still, I won't say for sure that you are wrong that it might be from the 70s. I am not very knowledgeable about Churchill hats.
It just seems to me that the construction says its not quite as old as 70s. But, I am certainly open to better info.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well, I didn't say they were selling it for $25. Its model name is "25" but I don't know that this guarantees that it was going for $25 when brand new.
Still, I won't say for sure that you are wrong that it might be from the 70s. I am not very knowledgeable about Churchill hats.
It just seems to me that the construction says its not quite as old as 70s. But, I am certainly open to better info.

Those number model names- Stetson 25, Dobbs 40, Knox 15, etc., represent the original sales price, so with a high degree of certainty, your hat originally sold for $25. The construction seems to point to a date in the late '60s or '70s, in terms of sweatband, size tag, stamping, etc.

TipTop

Practically Family
I have several Churchills, and indeed, was watching/bidding on the cased example above and its Stetson mate (from same owner) that Alan got when my clicking finger didn't work fast enough. I have a fine gray-green one out at Rand's being rehabbed and it should be back mid-month. I have a Red River (below) in whiskey with feather band (that I added to replace the tired one on there), as Alan has shown earlier in this thread. It is probably my most comfortable hat. Both of those are from Nieman Marcus, although they were sold elsewhere. It's interesting to note that there has been a 1955 paper ad for sale on ePrey "introducing Churchill hats" by Neiman Marcus. I always figured they were another Hatco or Stetson high-end sub-brand that was designed with a western flair not to cannibalize Cavanagh or Stetson, yet sell at top-end prices. I maybe be wrong, but they seemed to come from nowhere, in 1955, and have pretty much returned there; the newer stuff--I have a packable--is nice but nowhere near the late-20th century NM quality.

15176032-md.jpg

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
And here is my contemporary Churchill, in, of all things, WOOL! Has a leather sweat and is nicely finished. Except for the pair of grommets on the sides, (which were not shown on ePrey) it is a presentable hat. No idea its manufacture date.
15291233-lg.jpg

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Ray. here's repost from ties for the rest. Fun to be able to wear dad's accessories with my estate-find jacket.Hometown store special ensemble: necktie JZ Richards for Halls of Kansas City, shown with vintage raw silk jacket Jack Henry's of KC, vintage crocodile belt Jack Henry's, 1950's vintage Churchill Ltd. fedora also JHKC.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice ensemble! Here is the liner from a Jack Henry private label homburg -1940s I would guess. Very nicely made hat... no idea as to the manufacturer.

jackhenrys.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21