Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Circa 1929 Mario Fortuny Delphos Pleated Gown at auction

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
I did a brief report for one of my classes on Mariano Fortuny. There were, in fact, imitators of his clothing at the time. Though I don't recall reading about any out-and-out fakes, "knockoffs" abounded. However, I understand that his methods were kept quite secret and that no copies could attain the depth and beauty of a real Fortuny garment. I suppose that today one could attempt to pass off a period pseudo-Fortuny as a real one, of course.

Fortuny kept his pleating process such a secret that women had to send their gowns to Fortuny to be cleaned and re-pleated.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Elizabeth.F said:
I first saw a photograph of a black 1920s Delphos Fortuny about a year ago and ever since I've dreamed of seeing one in person. Does anybody know if there is one in an American Museum?

I am not sure about museums, but they have been turning up at the Vintage Fashion Expos lately. I've now seen three or four items for sale.

The upside of the down economy is that amazing vintage is being sold by cash strapped individuals looking to keep afloat. The merchandise at the Expos has been amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR