Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Citizan Kane, you ain't" - Whispering in Today's Films

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Think of any well-respected, classic film. From Casablanca to Dr. Zhivago. Do you remember any character whispering every blasted line? Citizen Kane, widely regarded the best film of all time, brought us a single whispered word: "Rosebud." For EFFECT. The whisper had dramatic purpose.

Time and again I am seeing (and it's not just my Ted Nugent-induced deafness) films (and TV shows) in which the characters are barely bothering to mouth the lines with any discernible sound. Actors do indeed spend no small amount of time learning vocal placement, projection, enunciation, etc. Do they, upon signing a contract, toss it all away? I know that most films now require the actors to re-record all their lines in the studio after shooting, and this seems to encourage very soft deliveries. But for me, it just doesn't play. All I (and my fellow viewers) are getting is frustration at having to back the stupid DVD up and crank the volume trying to get what they are mumbling!

Michael Douglas has placed his voice so deeply in his throat that he can speak very quietly and it works. Ditto Jack Nicholson. They do this for dramatic effect, not simply as The Way They Speak Always. Christian Bale, for example, cannot do this. His voice is highly placed and breathy. Every stupid line in every movie (unless he is specifically shouting) is whispered. Why? Is this somehow "artsy?"

Imagine having to even one time back up a DVD to try and discern what Gable was saying. Or Bogart. Or Hepburn. Certainly William Powell, who was known in Hollywood for his excellent diction.

So, current film makers who read here: SPEAK UP!!!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
All I (and my fellow viewers) are getting is frustration at having to back the stupid DVD up and crank the volume trying to get what they are mumbling!

And the bad part about that is the sound level on the music and sound effects is plenty loud!

I have to ride the volume while watching a show, up for dialogue, down for music. Drives my wife nuts, as she thinks I'm going deaf.

Brad

Feraud

Bartender
Brad Bowers said:
And the bad part about that is the sound level on the music and sound effects is plenty loud!

I have to ride the volume while watching a show, up for dialogue, down for music. Drives my wife nuts, as she thinks I'm going deaf.

Brad
Right. I get annoyed at the low dialogue and way too loud music and effects.
I think the sound mixers are slacking in their jobs...
The closed captioning button is a handy option.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great point and observation.

During the recent bond popcorn feast, I couldn't discern a single word that Mr. Craig mumbled, and neither could anyone else with me. Fortunately, because it was a Bond film, we really didn't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters