Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Clothes and Accessories Made to Last

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ladies, how often have you bought clothes that look shabby after a few months? Or purses that stop zipping within a year? And shoes--shoes are the worst.

Lately, I've been buying clothes from companies that mostly make men's clothes: the quality is better and the style is more traditional than trendy. Here are a few recommendations:

LL Bean

I just got this jacket. It's 100% shetland wool, lined, has leather covered buttons, a loop to hang it up and even an inside pocket and a button at the collar that works with the buttonhole on the lapel. Possibly the best quality ladies' blazer I've ever seen.

camdenjacketllbean.jpg

Here's a cute sweater from LL Bean.

LLBeanpopcornstitchsweater.jpg

Tilley

I had a hard time finding a well-made, simple looking ladies hat that would keep the sun off my face. I finally bought the hat below--a Tilley made of hemp. It's not only helped me keep my natural palor, but it has kept my head completely dry during some downpours. Tilley hats are made in Canada, guaranteed for life, and have a high sun-block rating. They come in different sizes, so they'll actually fit. Here's the hemp hat I bought this year.

TilleyHempHat.jpg

Hemp is one of the strongest fibers there is. Tilley also makes shirts, skirts, pants, jackets and dresses--such as this one in hemp:

Tilleyhempdress.jpg

Duluth Pack

You can pay $500 for a purse that's guaranteed for life, or buy a new backpack every year, but why? Duluth Pack makes traditional looking purses and backpacks in the US, using brass, canvas and top-grain leather. Duluth Pack guarantees their craftsmanship for life and will repair products free of charge. The company reports that some of their individual backpacks have been in use since the 60s.

Four years ago, I searched for a traditional looking backpack to go with my traditional looking wardrobe. I bought this:

DuluthPackrucksack.jpg

After four years' daily use, the rucksack is marked and scratched, but there's no wear on it. The leather is really thick and the canvas fabric doesn't make my back hot like nylon backpacks. Their rucksack is again for sale.

They also sell purses, like this haversack:

DuluthPackhaversack.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Shoes

Clarks

You're only as happy as your feet are, and feet are happiest in decent shoes. With wide feet and heel spurs, I can't wear cheap shoes anymore. And I'm hard on shoes: even though I'm not clumsy, they soon get scuffed and scraped. My strategy has been to go for comfort and quality.

My first pair of Clarks sandals lasted five years and felt like a dream. This pair is similar to those:

clarkssandals.jpg

This pair has a bit more flair, has been rated five stars by dozens of reviewers comfort, look and overall fantastickness, and is half the price of Beautifeel's sandal in the same style.

silversandals.jpg

Although Clarks carries mostly modern style shoes, they have sandals, mary janes and lace-up shoes that are vintage inspired.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I really like that LL Bean jacket! Is it a blazer you could wear all day, or more like outerwear? And I was in the Clarks retail store the other day and they have some very vintage-y shoes.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Clark's look similar in design to ECCO. So far I'm also happy with my Tamaris Active Mary Janes. I raved on another forum about my positive experiences with ECCO:

http://s.onlineshoes.com/images/170583.jpg I found mine on sale in a shoe shop in my mom's town of Gilleleje. A size smaller in sandals than shoes. Finally figured out why I was never as content with ECCO sandals as their shoes in the past!
http://www.tamaris-shoes....k-active-shoe/p_439.html I wasn't keen on them first because they weren't as classic in design as I prefer my footwear but they've grown on me mainly because of their easy wear, comfort and they seem very durable. The elastic on top is very tight so I'm not too worried about wearing them out before the shoe's worn out.
http://di1.shopping.com/i...o+ECCO+women+II+lace.jpg Very classic, basic. Had them with velcro top for 7+ years. Still in good condition though I did buy new in-lay soles for the old pair recently. I just wanted an even more classic looking pair and I don't ever again, want to find myself broke and with all my footwear looking sad and shameful (though not worn down) at the same time!

Comfortable, durable, and very fair prices for what you're getting. I've worn the ECCO soft II shoes walking on all types of surfaces, hiking, and in all sorts of weather short of snow. Tamaris is new to me because I'm generally an ECCO loyalist.

Dear ECCO, there was nothing wrong with this design: http://s.onlineshoes.com/.../br024/140954_366_45.jpg Mine are black. Bring them back! I hate fashionable, modern designs in the footwear I wear daily! What do you mean by: "they don't go with skirts"?! *Pah* What do you know!:p

Lillemor

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Ladies, how often have you bought clothes that look shabby after a few months? Or purses that stop zipping within a year? And shoes--shoes are the worst.

Lately, I've been buying clothes from companies that mostly make men's clothes: the quality is better and the style is more traditional than trendy. Here are a few recommendations:

They also sell purses, like this haversack:

DuluthPackhaversack.jpg

I've seen similar in other good brands. I just can't afford one right now. I love the sweater/cardigan. It's so me!:)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Paisley, I think you are so on target with this post. I have been forgoing purchasing certain new items to save up for ones that are really great quality instead. I am tired of getting stuff that gets worn the second you wear it out the door. I aspire to only own quality clothing and accessories that will last a long time! I too own a Tilly though I only wear it when I am out very casually! And my husband and I would very much like to get some items from Duluth! And I am itching for a barn coat from LL Bean! Great post!

Any other great quality items out there? Keep the ideas coming!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Pants

When I look at pants in a catalog, I usually think, "Those pants don't even look good on the models." So I don't often buy pants, much as I like them. Four or five years ago, I did have the good luck to buy a pair of pants I've worn once a week since I bought them. They've held up through about 100 washings without pilling, splitting or fraying. They came from Talbots, who has recently redesigned their pants.

A pair from their signature fit collection (sits just below the waist, or at the waist on some of us):

http://www1.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi22911&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat460041&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=

Talbots' clothes are expensive, but they often have sales. Sign up for their mailing list, and Talbots will tell you when they are.

A tip on pants: a wide waistband is more comfortable than a narrow one.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have met the owner of Tilley and he is a super nice guy, so not only are you supporting a great non-sweatshop company, you are supporting a good person as well :)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have had a little luck at Banana Republic. I got a really decent wool suit there with a bit of a vintage look to it. Fully lined and such. Much better than the terrible examples so many places sell in the guise of "women's suits." The best part was that it was on really good sale.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I'll second Banana Republic. Last year, I bought a beautiful high-waisted pencil skirt from them. It was on the pricey side, but fits perfectly, so it was worth it to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy