Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic "Hollywood Golden Era" Portrait Photograpy

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
A few months ago I saw an interview of L.A. photographer "Roger Gania James" (.com) that was so impressive it caused me to immediately visit his web site. He can take a very modern face and with costuming, hair design and his art turn them into the very picture of a classic screen star. I suppose that's not unusual, but the fact that he's doing it seems so.

It's mostly women in the gallery, but I remember seeing impressive shots of men in the interview.

I have no idea what it costs for a sitting, but I'd bet it's worth it. It may also be a good excuse to get a new (old) suit and hat. :D

Cheers,

-Kevin

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Some of those are truly amazing transformations! I would love to get my portrait taken by him, but I'm afraid I wouldn't turn out quite as glamourous as those ladies!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! Well done!

Truly reminicent of the Hollywod glamour images of the "Golden Era".

If you like this sort of photography, try to find the book 'The Image Makers - Sixty Years of Hollywood Glamour' (ISBN: 0070651388 McGraw-Hill (1972) by Paul Trent and Richard Lawton. It is packed with glamour images of all the stars of the era, right up to the '60's and '70's. I'll bet I bought this book over thirty years ago.

Roger Gania James fit right in with the best of the classic Hollywood glamour shooters.

-dixon cannon

CharlieH.

One Too Many
That's almost unbelievable! What amazes me the most is not so much the vintage factor, but the fact that the models look surprisingly younger in the "vintage" pictures. Not a wrinkle in sight! Could it be the lighting... or perhaps a little airbrushing?

9.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

Yeah, sign me up! But, I was wondering about the airbrush factor. I mean, none of the women had a wrinkle in the after shot.
I was just talking with Hem the other day about finding a photographer in our area who has the ability to take pictures like this. I've been wanting to get some professional pictures taken for a while now. Typical that the person who does it would be located in LA. I guess I could fly out there, but that would be an expensive photo shoot!

Feraud

Bartender
Photo editing software can easily take care of wrinkles.
What impresses me is the use of lighting, composition, clothes, etc.
Those are amazing photos! The phototgrapher knows his Golden Era style.

Jay

Practically Family
This is why I think pictures are so misleading. A change in hair, makeup and lighting takes someone from looking like someones grandmother to a 20 year old movie star.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
WOW!! These are amazing! Definitely some photo shop or airbrushing going on, but also great use of shadowing, eps. under the chin like in this pic,
http://www.rogerganiajames.com/gallery_page_4.htm
A true aritist.. wish I could go.
Also made this gal a platinum blonde,
http://www.rogerganiajames.com/gallery_page_11.htm
and either did the same for some of the others or had them wear wigs. Tooooooo cool.

Just reminds me that I need to have some pro shots done before I get any older, lol!
Nikki

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I contacted Mr. James and told him of this dicussion and he sounded very nice in his emails, as well as direct. It seems there was an exhibit of his work at the ArcLight Theater in Hollywood a while ago. Here is an exert on what he sent me:
"Hollywood Glamour Factory

During the golden days of Hollywood, the movie stars that were discovered and created by the studios started out as ordinary people. The team of experts employed by the studios were responsible for transforming them into the extra ordinary.
The studios were glamour factories. Beauty and glamour is a billion dollar industry. Beauty is pleasure and it makes all of us feel good.
Today I create my own stars on print, utilizing the same methods by the old Hollywood studios. My work is not digitally enhanced. This work involves tremendous care, patience and cooperation, to both my clients and myself to achieve these results. Thru directing and styling I create characters for my subjects so when they see themselves on print they can totally see the opposite side of their personalities. I reveal the movie star within them. To this day, I still have the same fascination of a movie star, like Joan Crawford, who is a unique and rare individual.
I dedicate this photo exhibition to all of you out there who are also big fans of the traditional classic Hollywood concept of glamour, elegance, and sophistication. My profession is a direct result of being a movie buff at an early age, and being influenced by the glamour of the cinema. I did not become a collector or historian, but rather a portrait photographer.
This exhibition is also a tribute to the old Hollywood style of portrait techniques. Many thanks to the Arclight Theater and their patrons for their amazing support of my work. Special thanks to Mr. Robert Brugeman, the manager, for making this photo exhibition possible, and for being a fan of my work. Enjoy the stars!
Roger G. James
323-913-1144
www.RogerGaniaJames.com"

He has gotten plenty of media coverage including the Los Angeles Times, The Daily News, New York Newsday, Popular Photography Magazine, News of the World: The London Sun, Marie Claire (Paris), television stations like The Discover Channel, ABC 7 News, NBC, CNN, E! Entertaiment, WOW Entertainment, Extra Hollywood, and much more. He sent me his history on how his movie buff status brought him to develop a passion for old hollywood glamour:

"I was born and raised in the Philippines. As a child I spent many hours inside revival movie houses watching old moves. In 1983, I borrowed a camera from a friend who worked at the former Los Angeles Herald Examiner as a photojournalist, and I then invested in a couple of video lights. I did some experimental shots and they turned out to be similar to the old movie publicity shots. I instinctively knew how to execute drama and glamour because of the influence of those old films. In 1986, I was discovered by one of the staff editors from the Los Angeles Times Magazine while I was peddling my work on the Venice Beach boardwalk. His article introduced my work to the masses and launched my career as a portrait artist."

Here is some information to help in some of your discussion and his rates:

"I charge $500. (check or cash only) for two different poses on 11x14 format, only in black and white. Prints can be larger up to 16 x20 or smaller down to 8x10 or 4x5 on request. Since this is an art form, I retain complete control over the pose and what images are printed as the best reflection of my work. Additional poses are sometimes printed if I feel they are up to my standards, and will be available for an extra fee. I use film processing and not digital to achieve my best results. Photo session price includes two prints, lab processing, labor, props, styling, and make-up assistance and usually takes about 90 minutes to complete. Prints can be ready in a few weeks depending on the volume of requests during the exhibit."

I hope he finds himself wandering into the lounge so he can speak of his work. I couldn't do it any better.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much for posting this--I read about this photographer years ago and he still seems like the best modern practitioner of this type of photography. I'm sorely tempted to visit him when I go out to Long Beach in Nov. He should set up shop on the QM, he'd make a mint!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage photographer at the QM meet.

I think that is a wonderful idea/suggestion Sarah!! Why not drop MK a line with that very suggestion :)
I really think it would enhance the whole occasion, as everyone loves a memory of a special occasion, and how more suitable can you get than a vintage Hollywoodesque photo!!

Absolute Hollywood Boulevard STAR of a Suggestion ;)

(And if nothing else, go treat yourself to a photoshoot with this talented fella!!).

Dr Doran

Brilliant photos, thanks for showing us.

A woman on my street saw my wife and me dressed for the FL Walnut Creek outing and says she can do portrait stuff like that. If we get those done, I'll post them.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
He's very good- I saw his small exhibit at the Arclight a few years ago. Apparently he does the makeup and hair, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes