Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic old telephones?

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Evening Greg - I have a few of the American Electric (AE50) version of this phone for my boat, and I really like them. They have a substantial, heavy feel. When properly converted to a modern jack, they function well. That heavy, slow rotary dial somehow makes a call feel more important. The sound quality seems quite good to me, though I understand the party on the other end of the call sometimes thinks the sound is a bit tinny (but that might further the vintage experience).

airfrogusmc

Suspended
phonelowjpg.jpg

Greg bought it at an antique store a few years back for 50 bucks. I had to go to radio shack and get the plug. Works great and has a wonderful ring. I love it.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I've been on the lookout at every antique shop, garage sale, and thrift store I go to for a vintage rotary phone.

I'd love to have one, but I just can't bring myself to spend upwards of 200 dollars that these people are charging online.

You'd think that with so many made, and so many that people don't want to use anymore, they'd be easier to find cheap.

shamus

Suspended
If you keep at it you'll find one for the $25-$50 range. Don't over pay. They made millions of phones. Of course they destroyed millions too. But they're still out there. One day you'll hear one call to you (pun intended)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I've always wanted to have a vintage phone in my quarters but the prices are simply prohibitive, at least online.
Just curious, does anyone make a reproduction candlestick phone that looks like the real thing? (and I mean that it has none of that pushbutton, coiled plastic-wrapped cord nonsense)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Candlesticks are always going to be expensive, but if you just want a vintage rotary phone and you don't mind that is from the late 40s-50s look at the Western Electric 500-series. They are really cheap, quality phones and easy to repair.

Baggers

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
I've always wanted to have a vintage phone in my quarters but the prices are simply prohibitive, at least online.
Just curious, does anyone make a reproduction candlestick phone that looks like the real thing? (and I mean that it has none of that pushbutton, coiled plastic-wrapped cord nonsense)

I hate to sound snobbish, but I haven't seen a newly made retro phone that didn't have a coiled cord or pushbuttons of some kind. And on top of that, they all have a cheap feel to me. For example, my WE 202 has a metal cradle and a nice hefty bakelite handset. You just don't get that with today's materials.

My advice is to save your money and get the real thing. Sure, some of the online vendors are expensive, but the phone you buy will have been thoroughly disassembled, inspected, cleaned, oiled, parts replaced or refurbished, rewired to modern standards, and metal parts completely refinished and bakelite polished (not just given a coat of Armor-All to add shine). And, a reputable dealer will give you a year's guarantee and service the phone when necessary.

Cheers!

GregNYC

One Too Many
Thanks everyone! I know that they can get>

expensive. But in the interests of workability, I think I'll bite the bullet and get a refurbished one that connects to modern RJ-style phone cables.

But for the old-time feel, vintage or good repro-retro clothes is what I need!!

--Greg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Polish

You can get a great condition phone that has dulled somewhat (as opposed to all newly painted and restored) for less money. I have used a product to polish them up to a very high brilliance very successfully and safely. It's called "Black Chrome," and you find it in automobile polish departments/stores. It is made to shine up black bumpers that get dull. There's abolutely no grit in it, and it makes my old black phone shine like brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails