Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic One Liners and Quotes

RadioHead

Familiar Face
From "North by Northwest"

Ticket Seller, to Cary Grant who is wearing sunglasses in Grand Central Station: "Somethin' wrong with your eyes?"
Cary Grant: "Yes, they're sensitive to questions." :p

Cary Grant: "Is this some kind of joke?"
Gunman: "Yes, a joke. Come, we will laugh in the car." lol

"RadioHead"

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
One more...

Not from a vintage movie but I love it, from the western movie Conagher;

Young boy; Who gave you the black eye Mister ?

Conagher; Nobody gave it to me son, I fought for it.

RadioHead

Familiar Face
A bit off subject, but...

The Dude abides

Great signature. The Dude does, indeed, abide. "The Big Lebowski" is one of my favorite Coen brothers movies, and Sam Sheppard is a good actor. Wish I had his voice.

"RadioHead"

EDIT: ELLIOTT! :eusa_doh: Sam ELLIOTT! I knew that. :whistling
Yeah... Sam Elliott. That's what I said isn't it?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"There are no real pilots anymore. Just people in nifty uniforms flying computers..."John Malkowich in the IWC film Pilots - a promotions film for their Spitfire watches. Allthough its not a classic movie, it has the stuff oneliners are made of.
And he goes on:
"... who has never touched an engine or heard the sound of a Spitfire. Who has never taken the plane out of a spin under 1000 ft."

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
“It doesn’t matter, in 30 seconds you’ll be dead, then I’ll blow this place up and be home in time for Corn Flakes.” - from one of those "modern classics" ;)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miss1934 said:
"When you are slapped you will take it and like it." what movie is this from?

Bogart - Maltese Falcon

You can just type partial quotes into google if you don't know them, they'll usually pop up.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Haversack said:
"Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years. Heh! That's hard to say with false teeth!" - The Weenie King from _The Palm Beach Story_ 1942.

Haversack.

I come out with this quote from time to time and get blank stares from all but my nearest and dearest. I loved the actor who played the Weenie King. Wouldn't it be great if someone like that just stepped into your life?

"I need him like the axe needs the turkey"

"I'm wearing a cardboard belt!"

"Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You may not marry a girl just because she is pretty, but, my goodness, doesn't it help? And if you had a daughter, wouldn't you rather she didn’t marry a poor man? You'd want her to have the most wonderful things in the world and to be very happy. Well, why is it wrong for me to have those things?"

Haversack

One Too Many
imoldfashioned wrote:
"I come out with this quote from time to time and get blank stares from all but my nearest and dearest. I loved the actor who played the Weenie King. Wouldn't it be great if someone like that just stepped into your life?"

I sometimes use the expression "deus ex Weenie King" in place of the more recognized Latin expression. Chalk it up to my wife and I inflicting _The Palm Beach Story_ on most of our friends that most of our friends don't bat an eye when I use it.

Haversack.
"Lay off of them. You'll live longer."

nick1909

Did we mention "Are my eyes really brown?" from Casablanca? That film has so many great ones!
"You don't think much of me, do you Rick?"
"If I gave you any thought at all, I probably wouldn't."

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I'm kinda embarrassed to post this one, it's so cliche, and maybe someone else already did but I missed it, but what about "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn."?

I've also got:
"I think I've proven once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb!"

"Why don't you take off all your clothes, you could have stopped 40 cars."

"Oh, I'll remember that when we need 40 cars!
It Happened One Night

Hondo

One Too Many
VargasGirl said:
I'm kinda embarrassed to post this one, it's so cliche, and maybe someone else already did but I missed it, but what about "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn."?

I've also got:
"I think I've proven once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb!"

"Why don't you take off all your clothes, you could have stopped 40 cars."

"Oh, I'll remember that when we need 40 cars!
It Happened One Night

Nothing to feel embarrassed about, those were great ;)

Which reminds me I need to add "It Happened One Night" to my collections, Thnaks :) I just love that song the guys on the bus sing. The daring young man on the Flying Trapezes, now I know here Popeye got it, right?

“He flouts through the air with the greatest of ease, that daring young man on the flying trapeze ...

miss1934

Familiar Face
One of my favorites!!!!
any ways, I also love the quote:
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."
From In a Lonely Palce. Not much of a one liner, but something that is enough to make you stop and rewind to hear it again.

miss1934

Familiar Face
that movie actually has so many great lines, like:
"It was his story against mine, but of course, I told my story better."
"What does it matter what I think? I'm the guy who tried to talk Selznick out of doing "Gone with the Wind"!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy