Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Safari vehicles!

Renault

One Too Many
Hand-Cranked,,,,, don't forget the Gardiner and Nordenfeldt guns either! They were hand-levered and hamd cranked. To see a Gardiner in action watch the old Charelton Heston classic "Khartoum". There is one on the Nile River boat being operated by Egyptian troops. I believe there's a clip on Youtube somewhere......

Renault

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We Don't Need No Stinking 4X4s

Here's a real safari vehicle for you. Just don't loiter around the lions. I bet a couple of the 4X4 drivers were reevaluating all the money they have spent on their pride and joy! [video=youtube;YWTa3FIdgqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTa3FIdgqg[/video]

TidiousTed

Practically Family
My two favourites

A military-looking van launched in 1945, the 1000 kg was a symbol of post-war renewal for many French people. By helping small businesses and tradespeople regain their markets, it made an active contribution to the reconstruction of post-war France. Came in 4x4 as well. More here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107517205235510271919/RenaultGoelette

7wgQIONUbCaTBoll8e-F8A
renault-goelette_038_thumb.jpg

Tatra T805 was a truck model from Tatra, which were manufactured between 1953 and 1960 in different designs. It had an air-cooled V-8 engine with 2545 cm ² volume with an output of 75 horsepower. All models came in 4x4. More here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Tatra_805

gkdBOFyyO0gMadwzZk3WgA
tumblr_kwl8kl1HmH1qzsctzo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
But if you really want to go over the top

The African explorer Attilio Gatti built two of these Jungle Yachts to explore the Belgian Congo. You can read more about them here and see more images here
. Large version of the add here

01839_ly_04.jpg

01839_ly_05.jpg

01839_ly_03.jpg

Last edited:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
The Ice Block Expedition Of 1959 - The world’s greatest publicity stunt

The ice block expedition of 1959 (Norwegian: isblokkekspedisjonen) was a publicity stunt carried out by the Norwegian insulation material producer Glassvatt (today called Glava AS). Responding to a challenge from the radio station Radio Luxembourg, Glassvatt decided to equip a truck to bring a three-ton block of ice from Mo i Rana by the Arctic Circle, to Libreville by the Equator. There was no form of refrigeration applied, and the expedition was intended to display the efficiency of the insulating glass wool used. The truck also brought 300 kg of medicines to the hospital of Albert Schweitzer in Lambaréné. - Read all about it here

01859_ice_thumb.jpg

TidiousTed

Practically Family
11306_suv1.jpg

“The GAZ-M20 “Pobeda” (Russian: ГАЗ-М20 Победа; Победа means “Victory”) was a passenger car produced in the Soviet Union by GAZ from 1946 until 1958. In 1955-57, several thousands were built with a four-wheel drive system adapted from a contemporary Soviet military vehicle (GAZ-69) for cross-country travel (designated GAZ-M-72). Russian references credit these as possibly being the first comfortable off-road vehicle with a closed unitized body.”

11306_suv2.jpg

TidiousTed

Practically Family
01550_4x43.jpg

And here's one for very short expeditions - 1968 Ferves Ranger

Open four-seater, with a steel body, build on a rectangular steel frame. The windshield can be folded down on the front like the classic Jeep. The car could be ordered with an optional fabric roof, supported by ribs.The Ferves was built with Fiat parts, suspension and brakes using the "600D", the front drive shafts of the Autobianchi Primula and the engine and steering box were from the "500F"
The engine, situated to the rear is an air-cooled parallel twin 499,5 cc. producing 18 hp at 3,000 rpm. The brakes are drums, with independent handbrake on the rear wheels, mechanically controlled. The suspension is independent with coil springs and triangular arms in the front, and obliquely to the rear. The "Ranger" was also produced in a version called "Cargo", with the ability to upload up to 300 kg of payload.
The original brochure could tell that the 4×4 was designed by Ferrari, the same man that designed the Yeti Samas, a vehicle for off-road and agricultural use.

Last edited:

Philip A.

Familiar Face
Bought this some months ago:

Viking-Kansanga-2.jpg

1956 Volvo Viking, 4x4. 14,400km on the clock, still with the original military tyres duly marked "56" on the sidewalls.

It's in good mechanical shape, the body is going to be fully restored, and the truck bed rebuilt in mahogany and hardwoods. Destination: the bush and classic safaris.

WH1

Practically Family
very nice old volvo. will make a wonderful cargo hauler. how is the availability of parts? I like the old trucks because they are easy to work on, the engines make sense. I pop the hood on my newer dodge truck and the engine looks like a cross between darth vaders space ship and a computer. Just changing the oil or the fuel filter is a pain.

Philip A.

Familiar Face
Parts are still available, the engine is a Volvo D67 that has been used on all sorts of plant and machinery, graders, dozers, etc. Hundreds of these trucks were sold by the Swedish Army years ago. Savimbi had a fleet of them in Angola, and many are still used in the Congo backcountry.

The "jungle" is actually my garden in Kampala... :D

andy richards

Practically Family
Just picked up this 1974 short wheelbase Land Rover.
It has a 2.25 ltr Diesel engine and is fun to drive. I intent to remove the top and convert it to a soft-top for summer and truck cap for winter.
The chassis is complete rebuild and galvanized, as the bulkhead and other metal parts are.
Sure needs some cosmetic attention, but it's a lovely little truck.

Cheers,
Andy

2_landroverVMedium.jpg

3_landroverRAMedium.jpg

Philip A.

Familiar Face
Oldsarge,

I do outfit safaris, in some of the remotest and most beautiful areas... I love the bush. Idi Amin has long gone, the current President actually took his country from the bottom of a seriously deep hole and, instead of continuing to dig as is the custom on the continent, rebuilt it.

Andy, lovely SIII, would fit neatly under an acacia somewhere in the savannah. But don't forget the toolbox! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21