Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Style issue #2

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Feraud said:
A female commented to me there is not much for her to read in the magazine.
Future issues should include the feminine angle of CS. The first issue had a makeup article but I do not recall seeing anything in #2.

The recent resurgence of ladies classic styled swim and evening wear should be addressed. There is a huge crafting/blog/classic homemaker segment of the population that can be tapped.

I agree 100%. Bringing more content for women means bringing more readers to Classic Style. If it's all about the romance, ladies are needed.

Dagwood

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I agree 100%. Bringing more content for women means bringing more readers to Classic Style. If it's all about the romance, ladies are needed.

I agree that it would be absolutely fantastic if there were more articles for women. However, on a practical level, the magazine is placed in the "Men's Interest" section of the magazine rack. I don't know how comfortable the ladies would be looking in that section (and, thus, learning about the magazine) since, unfortuantely, Classic Style can be located next to or near magazines that, ahem, really don't appeal to women.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm also hoping that more articles will appear that are geared toward female readers, but that male readers will also like. Ladies, what do you think?

I would love to see a bit more geared toward female classic style. There are a lot of us out there who love to dress up. A lot of the gals that I know have their own sense of style, geared towards the classic angle. These ladies don't dress vintage, but do choose outfits that are more tailored and not sloppy like a lot of the ladies are wearing today. The more we show how easy and nice it is to dress a little nicer, the more it will catch on.

Lets face it, a lot of gals today only follow the trends that are shoved in their faces. For some reason they either can't think for themselves or insist on looking like everybody else. If we showcase our style of dress to an international readership, then we could be the trend setters.

There are a lot of clothes out there today that have a classic look to them. Look at the latest style of peep toe shoes and summery dresses. We could focus on those as well as a few others.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I would also enjoy seeing more content geared for the ladies. I think that including such material would only help to further expand the readership of the magazine.

I understand that Classic Style is to be more of a men's magazine, but given the ever-growing population of women just as interested in all aspects of classic style, I think it would be a shame to overlook such potential subscribers. After all, the bigger the readership base, the more advertising clout the magazine will be able to command.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Agreed, Jitterbugdoll. This is a magazine that people like to share with each other. In a sense, it's a "family" mag. Couples can read the articles together; women can also check out the "masculine" content, while men can take a look at what's geared toward their female friends/partners.

I sense that CLASSIC STYLE is consciously moving toward more content for women, while not losing its masculine appeal. I hope it continues to go in this direction.

CLASSIC STYLE can be found in the "Lifestyles" section of some newsstands: this is a section aimed at men and women both.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:
I realized that too. lol And I agree.

My pleasure

I have a lot of friends who I'd be glad to show this magazine to, and will, but I know that by looking at it, it may not seem like their cup of tea. They aren't into the Golden Era, they aren't into suits and dressing up. I'd like them to be able to take a look at the magazine and think, "hey, I can dress and think like this too", and add in their own interests and tastes to make it more personal.

Many people are afraid of or not comfortable in nicer hotels and classy restaurants because it says "I can afford it". I'd like to take that fear away from them. Maybe that's why sometimes a man in a suit can be seen as a rich man, when in reality, they just have an eccentric personality or just want to look nice.

Any of this make sense? :p
Makes perfect sense, Happy! A suits as garments have this baggage of pretension that I sometimes have deal with. Can't a guy just look nice if he wants to? I wish to borrow a page from the Europeans and incorporate more blazers into my daily wardrobe.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I realize that Classic Style magazine is only on its second issue, but I do look forward to seeing more articles geared towards the female readers. It is still a lovely magazine to read, however, for its articles on entertainment, gadgets with a classic twist, and vintage-styled photo shoots. Once finals are over, I plan on sitting down with the second issue with a mojito and Glen Miller playing in the background. ;)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I went to my Barnes and Noble store where they had two copies left.
Per usual I put one copy towards the front of the magazines (in front of Maxim or FHM) so more people can find out about/ appreciate this wonderful new magazine.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm mostly done reading mine, and I'm quite pleased. It has opened my eyes to things I was not equipped to even ask about. Yet, there is one article that bothered me.

"Hats off to Alec" - Let me start by saying that it was written well, it was informative, and a superior bit of reading. It also made me realize why I like the guy so much. However, where are the photos!?! Just two pictures, one of which does almost nothing to show off the style of the "Style Icon"? Bad form.
It also got me to thinking... how is a 44 long "thick"? A 44 short, ok, but... 44 long??? My dear, he went up one size and suddenly he's thick? This news gives me the same queezy feeling when I hear that Kathy Ireland is a plus-size model. :confused:

What I'd really like to see are articles on how those of us in the 46 to 52 size bracket can look our best. I'm not asking to look like Cary Grant, but lets talk about people who really are "thick". Like me! :D
NB

Brooksie

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
I'm also hoping that more articles will appear that are geared toward female readers, but that male readers will also like. Ladies, what do you think?

I think this is a fabulous idea Marc, I would love to see more content geared towards females... It would be cool if the front cover could be Classic Style for "Him" and the men would have all of the magazine to the 1/2 point, then flip over to the back side and you would have Classic Style for "Her". Just a thought and an interesting concept.

Brooksie

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think there's anything wrong with a men's magazine lacking articles for women. What I want is an entire magazine on this topic, exclusively for women! Is that too much to ask?[angel]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Love the ensemble on the cover.. the colors, the patterns! Muahh!!!

Mk's letter was great, and Matt's article on arm holes is SO true. Even with everyday woman's attire, they're making these huge arm holes and then the bust doesn't fit right. And it you wanted to take it in, the whole garment would be thrown off.

Brooksie's idea would be great, the flip for men and women.

The lounge always has hair threads, I would love to see an article on hair. Interview with an old school barber for the gents, and track down an older beautician for the gals. Perhaps list barber shops and salons that cater to the classic styles, or hints on what to ask for.

The mag is superb. I agree with the letter to the ed about how the cover is nice and clean without a bunch of titles and such. Very chic!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou