Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning grosgrain?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I have taken out stains on the ribbons of hats using rubbing alcohol or even clean water and a cloth . Many stains on the ribbons are the result of sweat marks . Even a little steam can work .
If not , take the hat to a decent hat store and they will replace it for you . At most it can be 10-15.00 bucks.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
The Scout cleaner works, as well...

I've gotten less tentative with the Scout dark hat cleaner, and use it for the entire hat. And rather than a light foam, I slather the stuff on both the felt and the ribbon, almost to the point of soaking the hat. I then rub and dab it off using a clean, damp white cloth. I repeat the process several times if it's a just-acquired hat. I use the cloth rather than a brush because I think the brush just redistributes the dirt evenly across the hat.

Snrbfshn said:
I've gotten less tentative with the Scout dark hat cleaner, and use it for the entire hat. And rather than a light foam, I slather the stuff on both the felt and the ribbon, almost to the point of soaking the hat. I then rub and dab it off using a clean, damp white cloth. I repeat the process several times if it's a just-acquired hat. I use the cloth rather than a brush because I think the brush just redistributes the dirt evenly across the hat.

I second that. It works well for me as well. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Well, I gave it a shot, starting out with just plain water. Unfortunately I didn't get the stain out and the area I worked on is now discolored/faded. :(

So looks like I'll have to junk the ribbon anyway. I just hope I can find a close enough match, as I really love the color combination on this lid.

I've seen pleated ones, but are there any online sources for plain old flat grosgrain ribbons?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Any decent hat store should have a selection of hat ribbons pleated or regular . I'm suprised that water damaged the hat when you tried to clean it .

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Did you clean the entire ribbon? I've found that you can't "spot" clean on hats or ribbons very well as then the one spot will look different than the rest. So you have to clean the entire ribbon or hat all at once and then when it dries it will all look the same.

fedoralover

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
If what Fedoralover says does not work and you don't have a local hat store you can send it to Optimo Hats and they will have the color you need.

Second wait another month and Master Hatter Art Fawcett will be back up in business and he can replace it for you . He has thousands of yards of Vintage ribbon in a rainbow of colors.

Optimo.

http://optimohats.com/felthats.htm

Art Fawcett.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Arts site is down . It's a shame ,as I've heard a lot about him. I know that Optimo does a great job at refurbushing old hats . Grahm travels all over the world for vintage bands and can match up any hat.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
fedoralover said:
Did you clean the entire ribbon? I've found that you can't "spot" clean on hats or ribbons very well as then the one spot will look different than the rest. So you have to clean the entire ribbon or hat all at once and then when it dries it will all look the same.

You have a great point, and I would have done the whole thing. However, the area I worked on doesn't appear clean at all -- it looks dull, like the grosgrain has lost its sheen. Almost like I used sandpaper on the thing. It's very obvious under bright light.

Anyway, there is at least one old-time hat shop around here that should be able to provide a good enough match. If not I'll send it to Optimo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo