Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning linens/doilies

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
My aunt gave me a garbage bag full of pillowcases, table runners, dresser sets, doilies, etc. that look to be from the 1930s and 1940s. The pillow cases have crocheted doily-style trims on them and look to never have been used. They are lovely, but they were stored in a cedar chest and have yellowed in places.

Can you fine folks recommend anything to remove the yellowing? My first thought is to soak in oxyclean, but I'm not sure how the oxyclean will react with the delicate doily threads. I've used oxyclean on linens and cottons in the past with good luck, but never on delicate embroideries and doilies. Has anyone tried this? Advice? Thoughts?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have used Oxyclean on all sorts of vintage linens...included ones with crocheted, tatted and other lace trims. I have also used it on embroidered stuff with no fading of the embroidery.

I have always had good luck with it all coming clean and no issues.

I use just enough hot water to dissolve the oxyclean ...then top it up with cold....and let it sit in a bucket until I remember to get them out. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The thing to remember is that Oxyclean is an Oxygen based cleaner. In other words, it doesn't have bleach in it, so is safe to use on any cotton or linen type fabric.

You shouldn't have any problem at all using it on your linens. As Miss Neecerie says, just use tepid water for the actual soaking and you should be fine. I use a similar product here in England called Napisan and have never had a problem.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Thanks for the information, ladies! (And to BeBopBaby, for asking the question. :)) I bought an old sewing box full of stuff at a thrift store, and inside was a package of Irish linen napkins that you hem yourself. I'd like to hem them, but a few have yellowed spots, and they seem awfully stiff. Maybe a good soak in Oxyclean will help.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
I'd like to hem them, but a few have yellowed spots, and they seem awfully stiff. Maybe a good soak in Oxyclean will help.

Good linen is naturally stiff. It will soften over time with use and washing. Linen is very strong, so unless they have any delicate stitching on them, I'd just put them in the wash, then hang to dry. Don't put them in the dryer, linen will shrink.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I've used oxyclean on linens before, but never on items with crocheting, embroidery, etc. on them. I'll have to give it a go tonight and take some before and after pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes