Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleansing milk?

~Kate~

New in Town
I was reading an article today from the 1930's that suggested using cleansing milk for oily skin. I know a lot of ladies here use cold cream but does anyone use a cleansing milk? I was considering trying it since cold cream just doesn't work for my skin. Can you really just use plain milk? I assume it is used in a similar way to cold cream...
(Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find it anywhere)

lareine

A-List Customer
Maybe people did use plain milk but that's not what I think of when I read "cleansing milk". What I'm familiar with is a runny lotion that is applied and wiped off with a cotton ball, like makeup remover. I used to use an Olay one but prefer the wipes or just soap and water.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I used to use Anne French cleansing milk when I was a teenager - not sure it did anything incredible for my skin but at the time it's what all teenage girls used on their skin - I think its still available.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I used to use Anne French cleansing milk when I was a teenager - not sure it did anything incredible for my skin but at the time it's what all teenage girls used on their skin - I think its still available.

I think it probably is, as I remember my friend using it only a year or so ago. From what I know she had dry skin though.

Also, to the original poster: I have very oily skin, and though I use a wipe-off cream/lotion to remove makeup, I *have* to wash my face and tone afterwards, else I just don't feel clean (and eventually get spots). Might be worth bearing in mind.

In case you want to know, I use Boots Botanics Skin Brightening Cleanser as my wipe-off one- it's not that runny but definitely more of a lotion than cold cream. Nice smell, lasts absolutely ages, cheap, and seems to do its job without any trouble (though the fruit oils in it mean you can't use it to remove eye makeup, and I think it struggles with my 24hr foundation and lipstick- anything lighter than that, though, and it's fine). :)

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I use Boots Original cleansing milk. I have dry skin in the winter and oily skin in the summer and it does a good job with both. I just use a heavier moisturizer in the winter.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Plain milk of magnesia is supposed to work wonders on oily skin.

I've read that... Never tried it, though. I have tried Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Milk, and while it's nothing against the product, I found it encouraged my acne. I have unfailingly oily skin in all seasons that I attack with Proactiv and lots of astringent to keep clear. I also don't use a make-up remover to 'take the day off,' I wash everything off, even eye make-up, with plain soap and water before I cleanse my face.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Plain milk of magnesia is supposed to work wonders on oily skin.

For cleansing? For toning? For makeup removal? Please enlighten me, I love tricks like that- like the £1.50 a bottle pure witch hazel that I use as a toner, replacing my £7 Lush toner that contained parabens...

thedanu

Familiar Face
I use nivea's cleanising milk for sensitive skin, my skin is a bit oily and delicate and it works pretty well. I also recommend you get a nice hidrating cream (preferably not a very oily one), in spite of the common belief the more you hidrate your skin the less oily/shiny it will be :)

zombi

A-List Customer
For cleansing? For toning? For makeup removal? Please enlighten me, I love tricks like that- like the £1.50 a bottle pure witch hazel that I use as a toner, replacing my £7 Lush toner that contained parabens...
Milk of magnesia helps to absorb the extra oil present on the surface of oily skin. It has some amount of zinc that disinfects acne. Also, milk of magnesia acts as an effective disinfectant for many other forms of skin rashes. It's better for oily skin than dry. That's all I know.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I can't sing enough praises of my Humphrey's Witch Hazel Cleansing Milk! I use it in the wintertime, when my skin tends to get a bit dry, and it really works wonders. Comes in a pretty antique-looking package, as well!

41WxTvSH7CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Zombi, this milk of magnesia trick sounds very intriguing; thank you. I just might try it.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Cleansing cream= stiff cream
Cleansing lotion= fluid cream
Cleamsing milk= extreamly fluid, almost watery cream

I have combination skin - my T-zone is oily but my cheeks are normal. I tried a cleansing cream (Cold cream) but it was too rich for my skin and enlarged my pores. I use a cleansing lotion follwed by a gental toner to remove any redisdual grease (I needed the strong astringent of witchhazel with cold cream but not with a cleansing lotion). I massage the lotion into dry skin and wip off with a cotton pad, then wipe over with a cotton pad dampened with toner. (If my skin is feeling a bit dry i'll sometimes remove the lotion with a toner-damped pad instead of a dry one. (I remove eye make-up seperatly with a water-like remover on a pad)

The products I use (and swear by ) are both Clarins- the cleansing lotion with Gentian and the Toner with Alpine herbs.

In the morning when I've got no make-up on I use Clarins foaming cleanser (its a cream that foams and is so totally gorgeous to use) with my clarisonic facial brush.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My skin isn't oily, but I have used Weleda's wild rose cleansing lotion and it is very nice. It comes in a heavy blue glass bottle and has a lovely rose scent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo