Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

close shave

dr greg

One Too Many
I never use this so that it maintains its condition, but I'd say it was 30's, any opinions?
shaver1jp0.jpg

shaver2es4.jpg

shaver3do6.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Wow, that's nice. You can go ahead and use it, the razor is practically indestructable. That's the nice thing about vintage razors, they aren't disposable. I use a 1962 Gillette adjustable double edge, and it will last me the rest of my life, and probably someone else's, too.

Dashingemt said:
I have been shaving the dome for over 8 years....I was just wondering if anyone has used a vintage razor.
A straight razor by yourself would be too prone to nicks and cuts, but you could do it with a safety razor (double edge) with less chance of nicks and cuts.

In yahoo groups both straight razor and straight razor place have a lot of info too. Mostly about straight razors but they do discuss "Wet Shaving" and beard prep plus the occassional double edge versus straight discussion.

Their FAQ sections should have a lot of answers for the inquisitive.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I have used some of the older double edged razors before and gotten good results with some risk of knicks. But if you're serious about getting a superior head shave at home, make sure you try the new Fusion by Gillette. I like the power model myself. I give myself an absolute perfect shave everyday.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Dashingemt said:
Anyone use saftey razers to shave their head??? Any tips if you have. I have to use the disposables for the nugget

I've been shaving my head for 4 years and I've been using a DE on my head for the last 6 months and getting great shaves. I mastered shaving my face with the DE before I tried it on my head. I keep the lather rather wet and shave the back of my head with the grain 1st pass, then re-wet and re-lather and shave going slightly across the grain. I like a razor that I can grip at the end like a Gillette Fatboy or Slim adjustable. There is a learning curve so don't get discouraged. I also like Derby and Israeli blades available on e-bay for about $16 for a 100. Good luck. Bob.
BTW. Those are GEM double life blades not DE blades. You can still get GEM blades at Walgreens, some guys at SMF swear by the old single edge razors, I have a couple but have too much fun with all my DE Razors.
420629544_8e04f03222.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80