Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth A-2s

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the Cocopit's version of the Cotton A2:

The Cockpit® Cotton A-2 #Z2979
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uswings.com/images/cockpit2979_225.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.uswings.com/cloth.asp&usg=__71DCVVp8Ob5WUZOLWcjLqQvl9mA=&h=275&w=225&sz=47&hl=en&start=14&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=7YinvBroJ6Z2eM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcloth%2Bcotton%2Ba2%2Bjacket%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1
cockpit2979_DETAIL.jpg

Get the classic look of a Khaki A-2 without the weight! This ultra-lightweight Cockpit® A-2 is made of 100% cotton with a washable leather collar and leather trim. It features stitched-down epaulets, snap-down collar, two front cargo pockets with side-entry handwarmers, an inside pocket, and a sturdy brass zipper. The jacket has a roomy, oversized fit for unrestricted comfort. Its light weight is ideal for late Spring, Summer, and early Fall weather... yet offers ample protection as a windbreaker for those gusty days!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
I've never quite understood the lack of interest in these jackets among FJ collectors.
AF

I have several patched and unpatched CWU 36/P as well as the cold weather version, CWU 45/P nomex flight jackets. I use to pick them up in good condition for $ 40 at flea markets. One of the reasons why 'collectors' probably don't show interest in these, is that they're still issued and pretty plentiful. Just my opinion, but for everyday jacket wear, they're 200% more practical than a leather A-2 or G-1, you have an uninsulated one for spring and fall, and you have an insulated one for winter wear, if they get dirty, you throw them in the washer, if you rip or tear one up, you go and buy another for $ 40-70 (depending on condition), but admittedly they don't have that je ne sais quoi, panache, coolness factor of a leather jacket. If Tom Cruise would have worn a patched CWU in Top Gun, instead of a G-1, the CWU would have become the armchair fighter jocks de rigueur choice of outerwear. :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
WolfeMan said:
Any idea where i can find the jacket without the knit cuffs and waist? sounds interesting.

This supposedly pp version (I'm not up enough on the details to pick out a later civilian piece from a war era pp, not that I'm casting any aspersions on the seller) seems t have sold fairl cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-Navy-USMC-WW2-M-421-Light-Summer-Flight-Jacket-Large-/300387928988

Had I spotted that, I'd have been tempted to bid.

What Price Glory do a version of the M-421 also. Less accurate a repro that from the Japanese companies (there's a thread o this somewhere on the FL), but if you're looking at wearing it as a civilian jacket rather than as part of a uniform project, I'm sure it would look fine. List price is $45.00.... I can't comment on quality, not having hanled one, but I have hel other WPG gear and been impressed with it as a garment.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=876

M421.jpg

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Edward said:
This supposedly pp version (I'm not up enough on the details to pick out a later civilian piece from a war era pp, not that I'm casting any aspersions on the seller) seems t have sold fairl cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-Navy-USMC-WW2-M-421-Light-Summer-Flight-Jacket-Large-/300387928988

That M-421 is a beauty and did sell cheap IMHO - especially inside the States but even with international postage a good buy!

It has been discussed I think in detail in the humble anorak/walking gear thread because it is particularly attractive as a Grenfell Cloth jacket. The chances of finding another one of those in 44 must be near impossible! Such a shame.

Edward

Bartender
Speedbird said:
The chances of finding another one of those in 44 must be near impossible! Such a shame.

That's what I would figure.... I can only assume it had two things acting against it: not being one of the leather jackets, they seemigly having a far greater following, and that many/most(?) collectors of the military gear have a distinct preference for issued items rather than pp (so it seems to me, anyhow). I'd definitely have given it a bid.... ah well.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
One of the difficulties I find with searching for things like this is knowing what search terms to use .... and if the seller identifies things correctly in the first place. If you search for "A-2" you end up with as many G-1's and all manner of oddities. Sometimes that will throw up something unusual but it takes hours of browsing mostly to no avail in my case. I know I am a rank amateur when it comes to searching Ebay - I end up ploughing through tens of pages of irrelevant items trying to find what I am looking for. If it is out of the ordinary I just don't even know how to start!

Edward

Bartender
eBay's funny like that, there's plenty of stuff I have to clear out that I wouldn't eve think to ebay because it's not got any obvious branding that would work with search terms.... eBay fees being what they are (especially in the categories they won't let you charge postage, like DVDs), it's not really worth it for the pennies I'd get for a lot of stuff.

I normally search by brands, though that can turn up a lot of irrelevant stuff - it's amazing how much crap is out there with "A2 Eastman Aero Buzz Rickson" as the auction title.... (usually turn out to be some mall-type leather blouson straight from the eighties....). I'm inclined to start reporting tha sort of misrepresentation to eBay...

Peacoat

Bartender
I was issued a Nomex flight jacket toward the end of my tour, and I hated it. Would much rather have and wear (which I did) the nylon flight jacket--Army/AF--issued to me in flight school.

A retired Marine friend told me a few months ago that all services now require pilots and crew to wear the Nomex flight jackets these days. The leather and nylon are still authorized, but not for flight. Don't know how accurate that information is, though. Maybe some of you current issue guys know the score?

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Personally, I just hate the "leather" or leather collars in any cloth jacket. Can't wash properly and the fake stuff gets tatty.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
active duty leather

Hey Peacoat, That was the rule in the USAF NO leather in the cockpit or while performing crew duties ie flight engineer walk around etc. On the crew bus to the plane no problem. To the hotel no problem. In flight strictly verboten. Don't know about Marines or Navy folks [huh] . While at NAS Sigonella Siciliy, I didn't see any guys with their G-1s except at the BX excuse me NEX.
I love the old MA-1 with their wool innerlining. The CWU-45s are nice once broken in too.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Wolfeman i bought the one from Cabelas a few years ago and i like it just fine
most importantly it fit me good since i am 6'8" i bought a 2XLT it has held together good. it has a baggy feel to it. i can wear a sweatshirt under it easly
Tom

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Speedbird said:
One of the difficulties I find with searching for things like this is knowing what search terms to use ....

I liked it far better before they "upgraded" their search to the pits it is now. Eebers gets really interesting then when you start delving into the "international" market, theres occasional finds say in the French, German, Spanish & Italian ebays, but the categorisation is totally different. Then the fun starts when you try to get misspellings and miscategorisations. I've been mostly looking for car parts for some classics - the weirdest places they pop up from and price differences... and old cameras & such, which usually should be "easy" but how many ways can you spell "yashica"... too many. But I guess thats part of the fun in it & keeps language skills up. I scored my "orphan A-2" from Thailand of all the places and I was looking for something totally different.

pipvh

Practically Family
I felt i shouldn't start a new thread with this since it fits into this one (somewhat). Anyone had any experience with the denim indy jacket offered on wested's site? it looks good to me,but i wanted some other opinions.
http://www.wested.com/stone-washed-d...s-mk2-71-p.asp
Thanks
Wolfe

Honestly, I think it looks pretty ordinary - not having seen it in the flesh, though. Sort of a cross between a Carhartt and an M-421A but without the functionality of the one or the history of the other. The pockets look out of place and the cinches/d-rings are out of proportion. IMHO, of course. You'd do better with a piece of original denim workwear.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Phantomfixer said:
Hey Peacoat, That was the rule in the USAF NO leather in the cockpit or while performing crew duties ie flight engineer walk around etc. On the crew bus to the plane no problem. To the hotel no problem. In flight strictly verboten.
Interesting...I know it's bad joss for servicepeople to analyze the motives behind orders and regulations, but it seems the AF regulated the A-2 to be strictly a travel garment - not to be worn in any place or function (including the plane), just on the way and back.

That is a real comedown for such an honored piece of gear. I wonder if there is, or will be, an order that A-2s must be removed on arrival to lodgings, during long layovers in transit, or other situations where civilians might see them.

That's how the services traditionally decommission a uniform - by regulating it can be worn only in situations so specialized that it would be impractical to change into it, or make no sense to even own it.

Case in point: the Navy aviation greens, a uniform impractical for work that remained classed as a "working uniform," thus, prohibited for dress. Here again, you have to wonder how much of this was based on keeping it out of civilian view (even Navy personnel used to mistake it for a Marine uniform).

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
pipvh said:
Honestly, I think it looks pretty ordinary - not having seen it in the flesh, though. Sort of a cross between a Carhartt and an M-421A but without the functionality of the one or the history of the other. The pockets look out of place and the cinches/d-rings are out of proportion. IMHO, of course. You'd do better with a piece of original denim workwear.
I'm not looking for denim workwear, i was just wondering about this because i can't afford a leather one.

pipvh

Practically Family
I'm not looking for denim workwear, i was just wondering about this because i can't afford a leather one.

I hear you. But to my eye this doesn't look like a leather jacket done in cloth, it looks like a loose riff on vintage workwear.

Do you want a cheap alternative to a leather jacket, or something that looks authentically WW2? What's your budget? For the general style of an A2, there are some cool 50s gabardine things out there. For cloth WW2 aviator style, M-421 or patched-up M41 (you could do something very cool with one of those).

I'm also looking for the right cloth jacket, btw. If I find one, I'll let y'all know.

Pip

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
pipvh said:
I hear you. But to my eye this doesn't look like a leather jacket done in cloth, it looks like a loose riff on vintage workwear.

Do you want a cheap alternative to a leather jacket, or something that looks authentically WW2? What's your budget? For the general style of an A2, there are some cool 50s gabardine things out there. For cloth WW2 aviator style, M-421 or patched-up M41 (you could do something very cool with one of those).

I'm also looking for the right cloth jacket, btw. If I find one, I'll let y'all know.

Pip
You misunderstand, i can't afford a leather indy, so i was looking at that same jacket in denim, i probably won't get it though, i'm saving for a drill rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80