Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing on my sidecar...

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Motorcycle Clothing??

Hiya Gang,

Just joined the group. Very cool place ! By way of an intro, my name is Clint Brunt. From Texas, now living in Maryland. Served 5 years in the Army as an M1A1 crewman (1991-1996) The 1930s and 1940s, especially WW2 have been really big interests of mine since childhood. I've been reenacting for about 10 years now, but only recently have decided to try taking that interest in history into the civilian world.

So... I hope someone out there can help or provide advice. This question is kind of vague and rambling... Please forgive me...

I'm looking for ANY info regarding the clothing popular with motorcyclist of the period. I've been lucky enough to find some original color home videos of motorcyclists in 1947 on a winter outing. They are wearing WW2 surplus leather bomber jackets, "tanker" jackets, shoepacs, HBT pants, etc, etc. They were even using a Coleman M41 stove for making soup or coffee (the body was painted OD). Makes sense as this stuff would have flooded the market by then.

Anyway I have a 1937 H-D "W" which I ride around and want to put together a nice period outfit for special outings. I don't mean period "feel" but something truly correct. I have a few images of motorcyclists of the period, but really don't know civilian duds enough to know what to look for.

Dare I hope that there is anyone else here interested in vintage motorcycling?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated !

Clint

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, cbrunt! we're glad to have you here.

I have taken the liberty of updating your thread title for clarity so your question will get more attention, and have moved the thread to General Attire, which should also help.

I'm anxious to see what turns up here!

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
Clint, As far as pre-war attire almost anything goes. Motorcycling was not ingrained into the popular culture so as to have a set attire. I would assume alot depended on the individuals background and experience. Also keep in mind that depression era casual wear is very scarce. If you find something from the period that you like then get it, you can't go wrong.

Pictures are a good start, keeping in mind that anything post WWII is a whole different thing. The motorcycle craze of the late 40's and 50's was begun by GI's who utilized what was familiar, military surplus garb and machines. Good luck, Jordan

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Harley riders of the '30s-'40s had a unique set of gear. Many wore "Breeches"- Those riding trousers flared out at the hips,and tight at the mid-calf of the leg to fit inside boots. Decorated kidney belts were popular then,too,and those black and white HD caps that I call "gas station attendant hats". You need a leather jacket like Brando wore in "The Wild Ones",too-this movie might be a good guide to the proper "look",too. My Dad had a war-surplus Indian when he got out of the service in '45-the few photos of him and his friends from back then show a bunch of guys wearing mostly WW2 military gear-they didn't have much money to spend on fancy stuff.
Having British bikes, I favor the traditional British look-I've got a Barbour International,vintage Belstaff trousers, and Halcyon goggles. I just scored a really old Everoak half-helmet yesterday on eBay, too (been wanting a Davida).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is there a reason just about all cycle gear is BLACK? Other than Aero, are there any good sources for brown/russet jackets, boots, gloves, etc?

D

DeaconKC

vermontleo.jpg

These are some Vermont police during Prohibition.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Is there a reason just about all cycle gear is BLACK? Other than Aero, are there any good sources for brown/russet jackets, boots, gloves, etc?

Scotrace, for a brown/russet jacket, what about a brown A-2? I know from the A-2 thread that you have one, and I have a picture of Clark Gable on his motorcycle wearing an A-2 from his days in the service. It's brown and looks good with his well fitting khakis, cap toe oxfords and leather gloves.

I've been dying to try Gable's look with my Chapman A-2 Bronco of brown goatskin ... All I need is a motorcycle. Yes, make that a Royal Enfield please!:rolleyes:

Rider

Familiar Face
scotrace said:

Functional, I am afraid. Motorcycles used to be notorious for marking their spot with oil drippings. Dark colored clothing obscured oil, bug bodies, and assorted road grime.

Today, we dress up like pirates to flaunt our individuality while all looking the same. lol

Rider
'05 FLHRI

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
scotrace said:

Old gear was black. Most modern gear, however, is available in any color you want. Safety education has improved, so a lot of riders now choose bright colors, or bright patterned colors especially on helmets. Nevertheless there are still traditionalists who go for the black look, and of course those who do not believe in any riding gear at all.

M8

Edward

Bartender
Martinis at 8 said:
Nevertheless there are still traditionalists who go for the black look,

For various reasons, I've long been into bike gear, though never a biker (if I did run a bike, I'd buy a used Royal Enfield - modern Indian production, great bikes, 50s design but with modern conveniences such as indicator lights, etc, available secodn hand for a song). I like the styling (originally an Alice Cooper influence, then Joey Ramone, then Brando - yeah, I worked backwards....), and the practicality and durability appeals to me. I like brown jackets, and the black too..... the modern stuff, meh. I well appreciate the safety benefits of being high visibility, but I'd be loathe to go around town resembling a Power Ranger.

Currently keepnig an eye out for a bargain on a Barbour International. Long loved the look of those and the Belstaff.... the Barbour is GBP100 cheaper than a Trialmaster, on average, and the current model is virtually unchanged from the original design, as opposed to the Belstaff which dispensed with the slanted breast pocket long ago (one of the visual quirks I'm a big fan of in the styling). I plan to utilise this as a travelling jacket when a casual look is desired, winter weight is unnecessary, and rainwear is a premium.

ETA: if it's the wax otton stuff you're looking at rather than leather, Barbour do a "Vintage" International model, in brown with brass-colour fittings.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Gear

Hi Guys,

Glad to see this thread drawing attention !

I've several Harley and Indian books, many which show company literature and adds. The adds were color and in most of these, the men illustrated wear brown leather jackets and boots. But in B&W images, well oiled brown leather and black leather are difficult to tell apart. Both appear to have been popular.

Purely from images, I've seen- as mentioned above- that the breeches and knee high boots were very popular. For racers and enthusiasts, knit sweaters were also popular with either company logos or with with "Harley-Davidson" or "Indian" stitched to them. In one image, the letters are very clearly sewn on by hand; maybe by the rider's mom or sweatheart. The sleeves of the sweater could be the color of the body, or a dark color (impossible to tell in B&W)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mando_gal/698561555/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/mando_gal/752921810/in/set-72157600607835939/

For the British fans, here's an excellent link I found of period Brit racer's trading cards ! http://www.flickr.com/photos/mando_gal/tags/vintagemotorcycles/

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Hi Clint.

I was going to post a thread requesting roughly the same information, as I will soon be buying a '26 AJS and feel a need to look the part (something lacking from the British Old Bike scene unlike France, where you feel out of place not dressing in-period at rallies)!

Although slightly out of remit, being from 1950, these give an indication of typical gear...

Year_1950_Sunday_ride.jpg

After_stream_crossing_drain_boots_1952.jpg

Kenny_going_up.jpg

I shall post more as I find 'em!

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Wow

Hi Luddite,

To continue your thread, I stumbled onto the same batch of photos. And found our hill climber in mid-air.

Definitely the same guy; same flyer's helmet and bobbed front fender. Launching a rigid Hydra-Glide must have taken, well, excuse the expression... balls !!

Clint

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This is a little earlier than you want, probably, being from '31 (advertisement is for the 45 ci DL), but when I think "good guy" (the post-war 99%er) motorcyclist from the '30s, this is the image that springs to mind:

1931HarleyDLadv.jpg

Detail:
riding_clothes.jpg

Big Apple cap, Plus Fours/Knickerbockers, and some kind of cotton jacket perhaps? Under leathers I often see what look like Fair Isle sweaters or sweater vests. The Howard-Hughes-directing-Hells-Angels look from The Aviator looks very motorcyclist, I think because aviation and motorcycling shared a lot of protective gear until after WWII. In fact, I think I've read on this message board that Luftwaffe flight jackets from WWII were in fact mostly private-purchase motorcycle jackets.

By the late '40s I think the aforementioned "uniform" look with the 8-point hat, ties, breeches, and whatnot was more "in" at least with the clubs.

If I had a Brit bike, this is the look I'd be shooting for, but it's more 1960s:

go_modern_go_triumph.jpg

Actually, I have that look occasionally even without a bike.

Finally, when I think of that post-war 1%er look, this Tom Fritz painting (I think it's called "Fertilizer Salesmen") always comes to mind:

tom_fritz_bob_1.jpg

I think the key is that in the '20s and '30s motorcycling was kind of like any other sport, so the clothes were just "sporty" or "outdoorsy" clothes for the era. The tight sweaters with the manufacturer logo pictures are always competition. The historic reference I've got (The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars by Alan Girdler) makes it appear that those clothes weren't much seen off-track. You might check other threads that have dealt with sport or outdoor wear from 1937 if you want to look cutting edge for your bike's era.

By the 1940s motorcycling had gotten more "hard core" and fellows were trying either not to look like bad guys (hence the clubs and their paramilitary uniforms) or they were using whatever they had (hence the military surplus) to feed their lifestyle on little cash.

-Dave

White Gold

New in Town
Hi Guys,

There are lots of cool vintage MC resources around:

Here's one with jackets-- http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/

You'll see a number of old black, brown and maybe even an oxblood MC jacket there. Sometimes white or tan as well. Motorcycles are freewheelin' --wear whatever you want! Aero has a bunch of great horsehide jackets in russet, brown and black that would work great for riding. Lost Worlds makes classic MC jackets as well. One thing to remember is that you will be bent at the waist, so nice and short works better than you'd think as does a little more fitted than lots of people wear for casual fashion purposes. Especially if you're going to be hilljumping. :)

Very cool video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHMxLCr2sfk

They're wearing jhodpurs and captains hats in the video. Also jeans, tshirts, etc. I think that was common, as were WW surplus leather jackets more than likely. Old biker movies are a good start--The Wild Ones etc.

I have a '46 Flathead (red and white) and I don't really do black so I've been gearing up in brown. I've got some great RRL leather pants, Red Wing boots, vintage RL hunting boots and RRL jacket. Also a cool khaki and brown leather messenger bag that looks 40s style. (RL Purple Label)

I looked all over for jackets and was finally swayed by this one -- http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Lauren-Mens-RRL-leather-jacket-small-1195-brown_W0QQitemZ200224397149QQihZ010QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

It has a very slim, snug fit, which I love and is really heavy thick leather and is classic/retro without being a real biker shape, which I think, unfortunately is a little played at this point, especially in black.

I think the difference with much of this stuff is the make and fit. A black biker jacket with engineer boots can look fantastic or can look cheesy depending on how the stuff is made and how well it fits. The standard issue, mid-priced stuff in my opinion is hard to pull off as really classic because it usually has a boxy fit and substandard materials, fixtures, etc.

Quality leather goods and boots cost decent money. A coat you'll want to wear for twenty or thirty years (and then be coveted by your kids) most likely won't be cheap. But if you own a 30s Harley, you likely already know that.

Have fun riding.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Late 1940s

Hi Gang,

Found another good image of a 1940s motorcyclist. Looks like a 1940 EL or FL (knucklehead). If memory serves, the 1941 EL and FL had a chrome strip coming from either edge of the H-D badge

Interesting after-market wheels. I *think* the image is late 1940s but who knows for sure.

Clint

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
cbrunt said:
Hi Gang,

Found another good image of a 1940s motorcyclist. Looks like a 1940 EL or FL (knucklehead). If memory serves, the 1941 EL and FL had a chrome strip coming from either edge of the H-D badge

Interesting after-market wheels. I *think* the image is late 1940s but who knows for sure.

Clint

The extra trim you're referring to was around from '41 to '46. In '47 they went to the chrome badge with the orange ball in front of the Harley logo.

Those aren't aftermarket wheels, I don't think, but rather XA-style wheelcovers. I have only recently seen those on two XAs (Harley clone of the BMW R71 for a cancelled Army contract). I have a pic, but I'll have to post it later, 'cause right now I'll have to go to class.

-Dave

Edit: Pics, as promised.

1942_Harley_XA-1.jpg

Military XA

1942_XA_bobber.jpg

Civilianized XA

cbrunt said:
Hi Luddite,

To continue your thread, I stumbled onto the same batch of photos. And found our hill climber in mid-air.

Definitely the same guy; same flyer's helmet and bobbed front fender. Launching a rigid Hydra-Glide must have taken, well, excuse the expression... balls !!
Clint

You wouldn't say that if you saw the look on his face when he landed. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner