Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNN Opinion: Stop hating on the millenials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not particularly proud of my own generation. The most of us have terrible taste in well, just about everything. I do agree that we've been dealt a horrible hand in the jobs market, and that's why many are 'delaying adulthood.' There are plenty who are just too lazy to go to work, though. That could very well be said of any generation.

As far as Millenials being the worst generation, I would disagree. The pot-smoking Woodstock portion of the Baby Boomers are the worst, in my opinion.

I'm not particularly proud of my own generation. The most of us have terrible taste in well, just about everything. I do agree that we've been dealt a horrible hand in the jobs market, and that's why many are 'delaying adulthood.' There are plenty who are just too lazy to go to work, though. That could very well be said of any generation.

As far as Millenials being the worst generation, I would disagree. The pot-smoking Woodstock portion of the Baby Boomers are the worst, in my opinion.

Actually, the hand you've been dealt in the job market isn't as bad as most millenials like to make out. You think 9-10% unemployment is bad, try the generation that had to deal with 40%. It was a lot worse...they just didn't whine about it nearly as much.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, the hand you've been dealt in the job market isn't as bad as most millenials like to make out. You think 9-10% unemployment is bad, try the generation that had to deal with 40%. It was a lot worse...they just didn't whine about it nearly as much.

That's not entirely true. The current unemployment rate is much worse once you add in the people who can't draw unemployment, have run out of unemployment, stopped looking for work, & are underemployed. Right now I would sell my left kidney to have a part time, minimum wage job. Mcdonald's & other fast food places won't hire me because I am overqualified. I have a case manager at the local work one office who won't speak to me when I show up, won't return my phone calls & will not respond to other forms of communication.

That's not entirely true. The current unemployment rate is much worse once you add in the people who can't draw unemployment, have run out of unemployment, stopped looking for work, & are underemployed. Right now I would sell my left kidney to have a part time, minimum wage job. Mcdonald's & other fast food places won't hire me because I am overqualified. I have a case manager at the local work one office who won't speak to me when I show up, won't return my phone calls & will not respond to other forms of communication.

Move to Texas. They're paying $20/hour to work at McDonald's with a $10M signing bonus. They're having to close down restaurants and shops because they can't get anyone to work at them. If you have any mechanical aptitude, you can make easily make $40-50/hr.

Mind if I ask what field(s) your qualifications/training are in?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Auto mechanics. The problem is they want at least a 2 year college degree & experience. I have 10 years experience but no college degree.

I have never in my life known an auto mechanic with a college degree, and I've known a lot of auto mechanics in my life. I do, however, know a lot of people with college degrees who wish they had learned to be auto mechanics instead.

As far as millenials go, there's nothing wrong with them that adjusting their expectations wouldn't cure. It's their parents who are the real screwups for giving them wrong expectations in the first place.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Bruce you need to look at a technical temp agency. Having been in the maintenance field for 40 years now. Most of the new hires here at my work come in thru temp agency's that deal with people an tech background. As far as education goes I have two four year college degrees plus 2 four year speciality degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Auto mechanics. The problem is they want at least a 2 year college degree & experience. I have 10 years experience but no college degree.

I'm surprised you can't find a job in auto mechanics. Like Lizzie, I know many, and none of them have a college degree (well except one who has a PhD, but owns a shop that specializes in Porsches, and he'd much rather do that)

Is relocating an option for you? You have to go where the jobs are sometimes.

Bruce Wayne

I'm surprised you can't find a job in auto mechanics. Like Lizzie, I know many, and none of them have a college degree (well except one who has a PhD, but owns a shop that specializes in Porsches, and he'd much rather do that)

Is relocating an option for you? You have to go where the jobs are sometimes.

I'd love to but where am I going to get the money to do that? I don't even have a bank account. I had to close it down because it fell below the minimum ammount of $100.

As far as millenials go, there's nothing wrong with them that adjusting their expectations wouldn't cure. It's their parents who are the real screwups for giving them wrong expectations in the first place.

Part of my current job duties includes recruiting. A couple of things I've noticed about millennials; 1) they're really smart, 2) they're really lazy. I don't know how many have said they expect to be CEO by the time they're 40, but their top priority is "work/life balance". They think they can simply think there way to the top. But we try to whip them into shape.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

One probem that I have is where I used to work. A steel mill. Whem potential employers see that on my resume, it is a giant scarlet letter. They want nothing to do with me. I would work at a dealership, but they pay the mechanics per job & it would take me twice or even three times as long to do something that it would take someone else. I'd be lucky to bring home $200 a paycheck. I have even talked to a friend of mine that manages a restaurant & offered to work for $4 under the table washing dishes.

I'd love to but where am I going to get the money to do that? I don't even have a bank account. I had to close it down because it fell below the minimum ammount of $100.

You're in a tight spot, no doubt. I would think with your mechanical training, you could do a lot more than autos, as well. I know you're doing everything you can, and I wish you well. Hang in there. It will get better.

rjb1

Practically Family
Why would working at a steel mill be a "negative"? A steel mill is a giant mechanical system and if you are looking for mechanical/technical work that would seem to be a "plus". Not being critical, just curious about why that's so...
Have you had any assistance with resume writing? Part of my job is assisting in career placement for our engineering students, and I tell them that how you describe what you did in a past job/internship can affect what potential employers think about it. (and whether they are positively impressed or not)
And that is without lying or exaggerating, but just by choosing your words carefully.

Bruce Wayne

You're in a tight spot, no doubt. I would think with your mechanical training, you could do a lot more than autos, as well. I know you're doing everything you can, and I wish you well. Hang in there. It will get better.

I helped build my Old Man's man cave & it was up to code so I can build houses. I love wood working & I would love to do finish carpentry. But I have no "real world" experience in those fields. I can fix damn near anything mechanical.

Bruce Wayne

Why would working at a steel mill be a "negative"? A steel mill is a giant mechanical system and if you are looking for mechanical/technical work that would seem to be a "plus". Not being critical, just curious about why that's so...
Have you had any assistance with resume writing? Part of my job is assisting in career placement for our engineering students, and I tell them that how you describe what you did in a past job/internship can affect what potential employers think about it. (and whether they are positively impressed or not)
And that is without lying or exaggerating, but just by choosing your words carefully.

Your guess is as good as mine. I have a great resume! Everyone. Who has seen it is greatly impressed by it. Whether it was the layout or the formatting.

wsc

New in Town
As much as I hate recommending it to anyone, you could take out a student loan and get a 2yr degree at a trade school. That's what I did, word or caution however the auto mechanics field has been going steadily down hill, at least it was when I got out of it 6yrs ago pre bailout. The key is having your ase certifications.

There's nothing wrong with Millenials that bringing back the Draft can't fix. :D

DI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo