Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

COCKPIT (ex AVIREX) CURRENT ISSUE A-2

PLATON

New in Town
Don't buy this jacket.

I bought this one to check it out and give it as gift to a family member.
The leather is goat and I have seen better.

The collar doesn't meet the storm flap as it should be. The jacket has inside pockets on both sides and two pencil pockets.

It also has hand warmers, and huge gussets. The front pockets are also huge and the flaps are almost triangular without scallop.

I also own a G&B current issue A-2 which is much better. I would give 90/100 mark to the G&B and 55/100 to the Cockpit.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I am sorry to hear that the newer current-issue Avirex (Cockpit) A-2s are of such low quality. Here is a 1998 issued Avirex A-2 that I recently picked up from e-bay. It is my second 1998 Avirex and they are both excellent jackets.

I hear that the USAF specifications for the A-2 have changed recently. As you have observed, the newer jackets have pen pockets, underarm gussets and hand warmer pockets. Essentially, the modern specs adopted the "standard" field modifications that many aircrew had done to thier A-2s.

carolinagame088.jpg

carolinagame085.jpg

Atticus

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Geoff, I mean Atticus, is right on about USAF A-2 jackets. I have owned a current issue one made by Avirex/Cockpit and the quality of materials and workmanship could not compare to my 1988 Cooper/Saddlery A-2 or the 98 version mentioned. Sad for the new airmen who rate a much better quality jacket.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner