Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cockpit jackets

schmitty8

New in Town
Just curious, has anyone had success with any of the jackets from the Cockpit (Avirex)? they have some decent looking A2s, but also have a cool looking motorcycle jacket and a nice looks Oil Riggers Leather Jacket. Anyone?

Plenty have! If you like the style and cut, they're well made jackets. Often cheaper on eBay. Normally a fuller cut, but nice materials and generally a quality item.
I've had many over the years.

schmitty8

New in Town
thanks Scott = Another questions for you. If you had a good tailor, is a leather jacket alterable? I am 6'3 225. the problem wioth being that size is everything is cit as if I have a 42 inch waist.

I'm 6'-4", 225. I know the feeling.
They are cut bigger. They have slimmer models, do if you're near a Cockpit store, try them on.
Otherwise, what style are you looking for?
A2? G1? 50's?
Lots of options. And don't forget used. Highly smart move at times.
Need more info before we can go further.

kojax

Practically Family
i got a cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket last sept real nice jacket. the goatskin leather is real nice breaking in very nice they make a nice jacket

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Here in the lounge, there have been some pictures of Cockpit posted on other threads and they look pretty nice to me. Cockpit has a retailer in Germany; http://www.original-flightjackets.com You can find pictures there.

This guys have some mouth-watering leather jackets like this german police jacket;

http://www.original-flightjackets.com/shop/Marken/Erdmann-Leder:::16_106.html?language=en

468_0.png

and all the Luftwaffe stuff;

http://www.original-flightjackets.com/shop/Flight-Jackets/Luftwaffe:::5_2.html

The Messerschmitt and the Hartmann are outstanding;

http://www.original-flightjackets.c...erschmitt-Flight-Jacket-Typ-C-black::255.html

255_0.png

69_0.png

Sorry for inciting you guys to violence against your wallets :p

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Cockpit usa jackets

Hello,
I have 2 jackets from Cockpit USA, a G1 standard issue and an A2 "modern style".
Both are very comfortable jacket, the goatskin is amazing (strong and supple).
The fit is fine, my A2 is a 40 and my G1 is a 42 (to have a little space to wear it with a light sweater).
Good quality for a good price (a little expensive considering the Cooper jackets or Orchard you gan find on Ebay)...

Fifty150

One Too Many
I've got a Cockpit A-2. For me, it's fine. I like to have a little room to move around in, as opposed to a skin tight jacket that only works if I'm standing still.

schmitty8

New in Town
thanks for the replies Scott. In terms of what jacket? there are many that have caught my eye. The G2 jacket, some of the A2s, the Oil Rigger jacket, the Vintage Motorcycle jacket. How easy is it for a tailor to alter a leather jacket?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have a seal goat A-2 from The Cockpit. I bought it at the store in NYC. Best fitting jacket I have. It is 4 years old and lots of creasing in the arms.
Tailoring---I had a local leathersmith do my tailoring on a LW A-2, no problem, if they are set up for it. The owner repaired flight gear during WWII, he taught is son and daughter and now they run the show. Dad is still kickin it with the ladies at the firehall....seriously!
Anyway IMO The Cockpit makes a dang good jacket
John

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
I bought 2 Cockpit (which were Avirex) A-2's in the late 1970's and they looked like and were made like the big name A-2's today, to me anyway and I've had an Eastman and 5 original WW II A-2's over the years, 2 15th AF, 2 8th AF and 1 5th AF which was my dads A-2 that he brought home from WW II and I wore out as a kid in the 1950's. I've emailed Cockpit and asked them why they don't make the quality and correct A-2's like they did in the 1970's which would compete with the nicer A-2's on the market today and I'm sure be a lot cheaper but they never get back to me, of course and you'd think Jeff Clyman, who's noted for A-2's, would want to and I'm sure he'd sell alot of them to people like me.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
agreed. Not a true reproduction. For WWII events/guns shows/sir shows etc and special nights out my ELC goes with me. For work or general running around in the Cockpit or G&B.
John

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I have the Oil Rigger. It is a great jacket and it's made of a very good quality goat hide. The only caution I can offer is that this particular jacket is cut a bit small so I would recommend buying a size larger which I did. But note that I don't like tight fitting jackets and wanted to be able to wear a sweater or hoodie under it in cold weather. The build quality is fantastic!

I have the Oil Rigger. It is a great jacket and it's made of a very good quality goat hide. The only caution I can offer is that this particular jacket is cut a bit small so I would recommend buying a size larger which I did. But note that I don't like tight fitting jackets and wanted to be able to wear a sweater or hoodie under it in cold weather. The build quality is fantastic!
Any pics dmd?

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
i got a cockpit g1 vintage goatskin jacket last sept real nice jacket. the goatskin leather is real nice breaking in very nice they make a nice jacket

Please can you post some pics of it?Maybe while wearing it too?

I'm very interested in it,thank you.

PS:Can anybody else who has a COCKPIT G-1 VINTAGE post any pics too?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Some pictures of my The Cockpit Mil-Spec G1 after spray bottle water treatment: As you can see it worked pretty well. The jacket is very close fitting and the stitching is flawless. Real mouton collar too...

6641612755_a9dbaa6016_z.jpg

6641564845_6a9801f105_z.jpg

6641600131_a2469a5b3a_z.jpg

6641636505_d6d8dfde24_z.jpg

6641648707_8c5ab24a46_z.jpg

PS: Pics were taken very shortly after Christmas. Can you see the tree on the lawn?

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
Some pictures of my The Cockpit Mil-Spec G1 after spray bottle water treatment: As you can see it worked pretty well. The jacket is very close fitting and the stitching is flawless. Real mouton collar too...

6641612755_a9dbaa6016_z.jpg

6641564845_6a9801f105_z.jpg

6641600131_a2469a5b3a_z.jpg

6641636505_d6d8dfde24_z.jpg

6641648707_8c5ab24a46_z.jpg

PS: Pics were taken very shortly after Christmas. Can you see the tree on the lawn?

A really good jacket,nothing to say!:)

What is the size?and your chest circumference and shoulders?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Cockpit seal brown horsehide WW2 jacket, it fits like a glove with lots of room for movement as well as the necessary slim arms and torso, i don't know why people say it's not a tight fit jacket, i know their civilian A2 is roomier, but this WW2 edition is definitely just like an Aero, and the horsehide is developing grains around the arm and shoulder, very very beautiful. If you can try their patched flying tigether jacket, it's cut even more to the WW2 pattern, the arm holes are small and sleeves are uniform long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo