Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktail parties: Country-Style

ErinKathleen

New in Town
I moved out of the city about a month ago, and landed in a little town about two hours NW of Detroit, very country - Dukes of Hazzard meet Maybury.

I've met dozens of people, Very gracious and fun, definitely a lot more country-style than I've been around in a long time. My question: How to set up an old-school cocktail party in a local-friendly manner? I want to do something that will be fun and comfortable for everyone, but I don't want it to turn into Bud Lite and hunting pheasants in the backyard, like the last local party I went to (which was a blast, just not what I've got in mind...)

I guess my hope is to get to know a good crowd around here, I love jazz and vintage, so I'd really like to share it; it won't be the end of the world if they just don't like it, but it's worth a shot. Have you tried this?? Any ideas???

CharlesB

Suspended
Spam and flannel!
ErinKathleen said:
I moved out of the city about a month ago, and landed in a little town where the U.S. Census of 2000 has "Redneck" listed under ethnicity for 92.6% of the population.

I've met dozens of people, all very nice and definitely all part of the 92.6%. My question: How to set up an old-school cocktail party in a redneck-friendly manner? I want to do something that will be fun and comfortable for everyone, but I don't want it to turn into Bud Lite and hunting pheasants in the backyard, like the last local party I went to (which was a blast, just not what I've got in mind...)

I guess my hope is to get a good crowd around here interested and involved in the jazz scene; it won't be the end of the world if they just don't like it, but it's worth a shot. Have you tried this?? Any ideas???

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
Maybe start out with something real light. Invite everyone over and tell them to wear their sunday best (codeword: not flannel) "jus' for the heck of it". See how well that goes over. If things seem to be going well, and the shotguns remain safely strapped to the back of the pick-up, maybe try putting on some jazz music and see what happens. My suggestion? Start out slow, and see where it takes you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Start by eliminating the word "redneck."

Serve some familiar food and drink (even if it's beer, sandwiches and melon balls) with nice dishes and glasses.

Play some jazz they might be familiar with. I know it's not strictly jazz, but some old R&B songs are originals or covers of country or Elvis songs they might know.

I read a few years ago in the Wall Street Journal that people typically stop appreciating unfamiliar music at age 35. You might do well to try to introduce jazz to an under-35 crowd.

Good luck!

ErinKathleen

New in Town
Atticus Finch said:
ErinKathleen, I'm not sure what you mean by "Redneck". Are your referring to poorly-educated, lower-income people or just rural folks?

AF

Hi Atticus,

I mostly meant poorly-educated, in a very backwoods cow-tipping kind of way. Think 'mater' in "Cars."
Just want to clarify; not trying to change anyone, i just want to comfortably share my end of things, everyone has already made me very welcome at some pretty crazy shindigs!

Haha, CharlesB

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A delightful project: unusual, challenging, creative. Erin Kathleen, I salute your ambition, and welcome to the Lounge.

"Sunday Best" is good encoding. I get along fine with rural whites who don't necessarily love, nor are particularly familiar with, The Culture Formerly Known As High Culture, and who have strong feelings about their roots (as long as they are not HOSTILE to high culture and education, which is an attitude I cannot hang with). I'm a non-theist, so I get some odd reactions from that if I am talking to people who have never met someone like that; but most people in the world are friendly if one is pleasant to them, in my experience. I'm sure you already know that.

I, personally, would not start as ambitiously. I'd start with something that they could deal with a bit better. Something that is still (almost) "vintage" but not too foreign to what they are used to. Elvis and Hank Williams, Johnny Cash. Maybe some Benny Goodman sneaked in.

But don't let that stop you. The most important thing, I think, is to be encouraging to them. This might work and it might work great. Be an active hostess so you can have better influence over the way things transpire. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sunny

One Too Many
ErinKathleen said:
I moved out of the city about a month ago, and landed in a little town where the U.S. Census of 2000 has "Redneck" listed under ethnicity for 92.6% of the population.
The Census actually uses "Redneck" as an ethnicity? My gosh... :eek:

Nothing wrong with what you're doing, though - sounds like fun! Good luck!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CharlesB said:
I'd go insane if I wsa surrounded by 95% white people. Diversity makes life so much more enjoyable.

You'd be amazed how diverse white people can be.

As to the original question -- don't think so much along the lines of "here I'm going to enlighten these poor benighted folks with my sophisticated ways." Being poor and rural doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with cultural illiteracy, and you just might be surprised. Rather, simply be friendly and engaging and let things take their natural course.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
You'd be amazed how diverse white people can be.

As to the original question -- don't think so much along the lines of "here I'm going to enlighten these poor benighted folks with my sophisticated ways." Being poor and rural doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with cultural illiteracy, and you just might be surprised. Rather, simply be friendly and engaging and let things take their natural course.
Agreed 100%.

I am also really uncomfortable with the term "Redneck," which to most, is a very pejorative term. I do wish you had chosen better words. it seems like a really harsh judgment to make on people you hardly know.

People, all people, never cease to amaze me. Human beings in all stripes hold so much knowledge, experience, passion. It is one of the few times you can be wholly subjective; enjoy them as you find them and you will learn much from them. Open you heart to them, and enjoy a deep and life-long connection. Is there anything better in the whole world?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran