Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cognac - where to begin?

During the course of the year I do find that there are times when only two beers 12oz-ers can give me a hangover. I think that it may have to do with me needing to drink more water (dried out or under hydrolyzed?) and/or that I am needing some sort of vitamins/minerals in my diet. Such shortfals then adding to the hangover or making it harder to fend off.

However, if a specific liquor consistanly gives you a hangover even with truly minimal imbibbing, that points to allergies or sensitivities that may have no possible offset.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
I'm not a fan of brandy in general, and Cognac is way over priced in my opinion. But, if I had to stock a very good brandy that I could afford, it would be Cardinal Mendoza.

Tony

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was working for a Wine&Spirits outfit, I had the opportunity to taste very many fine liquors (as well as some that I wouldn't wash my windows with).

Personally, I prefer the stronger tasting Armagnacs over Cognac, however, I've had strong Cognacs and smooth Armagnacs. [huh] Of the major brands, I've found VSOPs to usually be the better buy (price vs quality) and I tend to keep a bottle of Courvoisier on hand over Hennessy - particularly because I feel Hennessy is not quite as smooth. Remy is also a good brand.

If you are simply considering mixing, or if you truly have a shoestring budget, you might try Christian Brothers Brandy simply for a taste. I'm sure I don't have to warn anyone here, but do mind that it's not anywhere as smooth as quality brandy/cognac. However, it will give you a sense of the difference in taste between a grain spirit and grape spirit, as well as a sense of brandy vs. say, vodka or whiskey.

I have to agree that glassware does make a difference, although as long as you're not a snob or someone inclined to plastic cups, you probably won't notice right away (no offense to anyone, I'm a snob). Also consider that some folks enjoy their cognac warmed, either by hand-warmth or by flame.

Chas

One Too Many
I'm a recent convert to Cognac, and loving it madly. An ounce at the close of the day seems to mellow me out more than anything else, these days, which is appreciated (I work in a hospital psych. ward).

I haven't tried the Armagnacs yet, and while they are in limited supply here (the British Columbia Specialty Liquor store only carries one brand) I hope to travel to France one day to try others.

I have to agree that glassware does make a difference, although as long as you're not a snob or someone inclined to plastic cups, you probably won't notice right away (no offense to anyone, I'm a snob). Also consider that some folks enjoy their cognac warmed, either by hand-warmth or by flame.

I agree. It's not about snobbery - those who consider it so need to chill out and try it for themselves. It makes a huge difference and I go so far as to heat up my glass in hot H20 before I pour.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Chas said:
I agree. It's not about snobbery - those who consider it so need to chill out and try it for themselves. It makes a huge difference and I go so far as to heat up my glass in hot H20 before I pour.

There IS something about the aroma, that has the same effect as sitting in front of a warm fireplace. I often rise the glass in warm water, too.

Story

I'll Lock Up
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A Dutch antique trader is selling his collection of over 5,000 unopened bottles of Cognac and other liquors, which he claims is the biggest of its kind. The most precious bottle in Bay van der Bunt's collection, which is valued at 6 million euros ($7.84 million), dates back to 1795 and was a Cognac taken by Napoleon's army on campaign for the officers. Van der Bunt estimates that bottle is worth between 100,000 and 150,000 euros.

http://news.yahoo.com/cognac-napoleons-army-sale-collection-114108070.html

D-503

Familiar Face
Having lived in Norway, a country which is one of the biggest drinkers of cognac per capita I have to say that the cognacs made specifically for the Norwegian market are by far the very best cognacs I have ever tasted.

Although not the easiest to hunt down outside Scandinavia, the two that I adore are Bache Gabrielsen XO and Larsen XO.

Well worth trying, although not exactly cheap.

I second Bache Gabrielsen (the VS and VSOP are somewhat more moderately priced).

Widely available in Minnesota -- one of the sales reps explained to me when they introduced it here that the company is expanding into heavily Scandinavian areas in North America, which so far means New York City and Minnesota.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Fascinating discussion! My first experience with Remy Napoleon XO was not especially pleasant; I drank it neat and found it just harsh and rather nasty (I love Scotch, so it wasn't a matter of wussyness on my part)

A recent experience, however, renewed my interest in brandy and cognac. I was dining at the home of a good friend of mine, who offered a mexican brandy as an after dinner drink. He assured me it was good stuff, so I figured why not! He then informed me that the proper way to drink brandy is in a snifter and lit on fire first!

He poured about a finger depth into a pair of hundred year old, gold rimmed snifters and proceeded to tilt one until the liquor just touched the lip. He struck a match and held the flame just below the lip; an ethereal blue flame spread over the surface. He let it burn a moment, then gave it a swish, extinguishing the flame and handing it to me. He proceeded to perform the same process with his glass, and together we sat down to enjoy our brandy.

Gentlemen, the effect was magic; the aroma was heady, rich, earthy, exquisite! The flavour was amazingly smooth and delicious, and it just glided over my tongue and down my throat like smoke. The glass was very warm and pleasant to hold in the hand. Absolutely amazing :D I definitely want to try the same with some other brandies.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
When I get cognac it's usually Courvoisier VSOP.

Living in a dry county I will generally pick up a couple of large bottles for the cold season.

My preference is Armagnac, but finding it in this part of the country is so iffy. I have been in some of the "better" liquor stores and asked for it and when assured that they have it, they pull out ameratto. I'm going over to Louisiana this weekend and think I will look for some.

bonnieprince

Familiar Face
Try Kelt. Long story about aging the brandy on long sea voyages in traditional casks before bottling. I find it smoother than the other brands, and it's only $50/bottle.

article-1213280-066B1C5C000005DC-897_468x725.jpg

I'm sorry, you were talking about ummm...cognac? i did not see the bottle for a while.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
About 15 yrs ago on a wine tasting expedition in Napa/Sonoma my wife and I came across RMS Distillery a bit off the beaten path. It was an impressive operation with 2 or 3 massive brass stills, at least 30 ft tall. They offered a tour which we normally skip but this was too interesting to pass up. We were told the history of cognac most of which I've forgotten but I do remember the original spirit was the property of a French king and was considered so valuable the distilling was entrusted only to monks, knowing they would not partake of his treasure. Once while inspecting his aging barrels, the king noticed the barrels weren't quite full. This was before evaporation was a known about. He angrily asked who stole his cognac and a quick thinking monk replied the missing cognac must have been surely been taken by god as his due, probably saving the heads of the monk caretakers.

The highlight of the tour was to stand before the huge barn type doors over the partially underground cellars where the barrels age. The doors were pulled up to reveal hundreds of barrels in a squeaky clean cellar probably capable of withstanding a thermonuclear strike. The concentrated aroma of the evaporation from the barrels just about swept us off our feet and carried us up to heaven. If there is a heaven I think that was about as close as I'll get, it was literally intoxicating and we both got a nice buzz.

The final stop was the snifting room where we were able to sniff the brandy, you could not sample spirits per Calif law. We ended up purchasing 3 bottles including the then top of the line "QE" 14 year old Alambic which cost $130, about 3 times as much as I had ever paid for cognac previously or since. I'm looking at the very same unopened dusty bottle right now, this thread has inspired me to finally take a pour, I can't take it with me. The other 2 lower priced bottles were long ago enjoyed.

About 5 yrs ago we returned only to be extremely disappointed to find the distillery gone, replaced by a winery. Not sure if RMS is still produced. I can't imagine what it must have cost to move from that location with those fabulous stills. At the time the distillery was known as RMS which stood for Remy-Martin and Scharfenberger who apparently joined forces to build the facility at what must have been an enormous investment. Anybody know what became of RMS Distillery?

Back on topic, I finally opened a ten year old bottle of Germain-Robin G-R Lot 15 and it's as smooth as any medicinal spirit I've ever stuck lips on. The nice thing about fine cognac/brandy is you don't even have to drink it to enjoy it, the aroma is almost as intoxicating as the sip. I still recommend sipping though.

Cheers!

Last edited:

CH Sherr

New in Town
There are other regions of French brandy that are not called Cognac but usually the term Alembic Brandy that refers to the type of still used in the process. The other term is Amagnac. There are terms for the content percentage of the specific regional grapes and ratings of the number of stars or VO & VSOP but price tends to be a good general rating of quality too.

Fury964

Familiar Face
My tipple of choice is 'Renault Carte Noire Extra'. I don't know if it's a good, bad, or indifferent label but I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner