Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold and flu remedies?

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well its not old timey but it always works for me. As long as a headache isnt involved get outside when the sun comes up and just move around. Usually will clear ya up completely. Once clear use one of the other methods to beat the cold when its down.

Also Cold-Eeze really does slice your cold time in half and then get into a regular habit of drinking water with a tablet of Air-borne (or the cheap Wal-borne knockoff) before going to public places. 9-10 times it'll keep ya safe from them there nasty germs.

Yay for JD btw ^_-.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I get it! You're Alexa P. Keaton! ;)

(Just kiddin'. I couldn't resist making a reference to Family Ties.)

Ya got me. My mom teases she doesn't know what happened, I've fallen in with a baaaad crowd, and she's terrified I'm going to move to white picket fences and marry an accountant.lol

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Shot of whiskey with honey and lemon was something my grandmother recommended.[huh]

If you want to break a fever, try this remedy but use it to wash down an asprirn or two. Then, pile as many blankets and comforters on the bed that you can stand, crawl inside, bundle up and sweat it out! Crude, but effective! ;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't agree more with a shot of whiskey and hone. Also, to clear up the head, if you're not a drinking person, hotwater with lemon or hot mint tea is also great. I swear by Yogi tea, there Kombucha style. They now sell it at most markets. It's a great tasting tea, and has gotten me through many head colds. Of course tylenol and lots of blankets is also the way to go, but I'd add tea to that. It's not only good at combating most illness, it can be very soothing.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
McPeppers said:
Well its not old timey but it always works for me. As long as a headache isnt involved get outside when the sun comes up and just move around. Usually will clear ya up completely. Once clear use one of the other methods to beat the cold when its down.

Also Cold-Eeze really does slice your cold time in half and then get into a regular habit of drinking water with a tablet of Air-borne (or the cheap Wal-borne knockoff) before going to public places. 9-10 times it'll keep ya safe from them there nasty germs.

Yay for JD btw ^_-.
Ooh, I forgot about Cold-Eaze, that stuff is great. I take it while traveling, especially by plane. Probably smart to take it whenever I go in a public place.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alas I have another head cold.

This one is from too much cigarette and pot smoke wafting in the air from a concert I went to. Ive lost my voice, and cant sleep for fear of drowning in the nose slime (I know gross analogy) lol

So time to try out some of these remedies.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Stay away from children. They're walking infections, man.

Ah! This is soooo true. I'm home sick now because of those little buggers. I started my back to school vitamin taking regimine but, it failed. Over the years, I've gotten pink eye, strep throat and bronchitis from kids.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Last week, my girlfriend (Ms. Parriss) and her daughter each started getting a sore throat about the same time. I made Ms. Parriss eat a tablespoon of garlic powder and her girl didn't have any. Ms. Parriss didn't get ill at all, yet her girl was sick as a dog.

It's unpleasant, but it works.

I know the girl should've had some too, but there's no way she'd have taken it anyway.

Get well soon, folks!

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
Hiya!
It is the 4th day of winter here in Australia and the cold and flu season is upon us.
Yesterday it reared its ugly head and I now have a rather horrid head cold - runny nose, headache, etc

Does any of the forum have any old (or new) cold and flu remedies that actually work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - "cough" "sniff"

~Amanda~
Australia

[I hope this is the right place to post this question]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
G'day,

For sore throats - Orange-juice. Freshly squeezed.
For sore throats - Tea, with lots of honey. Lethally sweet is good.
For blocked noses - Garlic. Freshly chopped. Add it to your pasta or your pies or your pizzas or whatever else it is you're eating for dinner.
For headaches - SLEEEEEEEEEP. Your bed is your best friend. Cuddle it.

My mother is a big one for "traditional home remedies", that's how I know all this stuff. And they do work, though they take their time about it.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
All of the above.

Also, and not vintage but, MUCINEX. If you get congested in the chest this stuff can save your bacon. About a year and a half ago I was so sick it reminded me of when I had pneumonia as a little kid. Mucinex and LOTTTS of water broke up the stuff that was drowning me. My physician concurred that it is one over-the-counter strong mojo.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
My standard is to wrap up as warmly as possible; two-three T-shirts, a couple of jumper, two dressing gowns and various layers of pyjama bottoms and trousers. Scarf and maybe a woolly hat. Not stylish, but comfortable. And drinks lots of water/liquids - mostly warm black currant squash. This way it really reduces how long I have the symptons and if I catch it intime it'll last less than 24 hours.

Tried and tested - my wife refers to it as "your method" [huh]

Diamondback said:
Chicken-noodle soup or any hot, steaming liquid--inhaling the steam usually helps break up the congestion, at least for me.

chicken soup works like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24