Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

ChezPez

New in Town
Well I'm glad this thread was resurrected, because I'm going crazy with this stuff and I need help!

I have sensitive skin, mostly dry, but I'm young and still acne prone, so I'm a bit oily sometimes. I tried C.O. Bigelow's Rose Water Cold Cream (since it was on sale and cheap!) and found it very irritating. I've tried some mineral make ups and also have found those irritating. I'm going to take a risk and try Pond's but I'm concerned I'm sensitive to mineral oil somehow. However, with the make up, I'm fairly certain I reacted to the bismuth...stuff (I can't remember the name!). I know, my skin's very fickle and a pain!

Anyone else have this experience, advice, anything? I want to use Cold Cream so badly, since it seems like it would be nice for my dryness, but I'm about to give up the quest. Damn sensitive skin.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ChezPez said:
Well I'm glad this thread was resurrected, because I'm going crazy with this stuff and I need help!

I have sensitive skin, mostly dry, but I'm young and still acne prone, so I'm a bit oily sometimes. I tried C.O. Bigelow's Rose Water Cold Cream (since it was on sale and cheap!) and found it very irritating. I've tried some mineral make ups and also have found those irritating. I'm going to take a risk and try Pond's but I'm concerned I'm sensitive to mineral oil somehow. However, with the make up, I'm fairly certain I reacted to the bismuth...stuff (I can't remember the name!). I know, my skin's very fickle and a pain!

Anyone else have this experience, advice, anything? I want to use Cold Cream so badly, since it seems like it would be nice for my dryness, but I'm about to give up the quest. Damn sensitive skin.

Hmm...can you possibly post the ingredients for the C.O. Bigelow's brand? I've been very curious about it, and I might be able to help you figure out what you might be reacting to.

I was in India a week ago doing some service work, and I started to get pretty weak in Delhi because the heat made me lose my appetite. I went to an Aryuvedic clinic to get this special herb and mineral paste made for malnourished people, and the guy there gave me a free tub of "Cold Creme!" I tried using it like actual cold cream, but I think it was just a regular moisturizer...nice, though. It was this special pistachio formula...the brand was called Puma, but I couldn't find anything about it on the internet.

I'm considering making my own cold cream from one of those 1940's recipes, since I've had such amazing luck cleansing my skin with oils. I usually just pour a little bit of olive oil into the palm of my hand, add a few drops of castor oil, tea tree and lavendar, and keep it on as a mask for a few minutes before steaming my face with a washcloth and wiping off gently. It makes my skin lovely and soft, and keeps blackheads at bay! I also dab apple cider vinegar on zits, and for the occasional bad breakout/menstrual skin, I really love the cleansers from this brand called Mychelle (www.mychelleusa.com). They use no parabens or creepy chemicals, and their products make my medicine cabinet smell like a fruit basket! Mmmm.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
badleekitty said:
I am just wondering if it will make my face greasy. As it is my skin is kind of oily so I am wondering if this product will make it worst. I am also looking for a good moisterizer do you girls just use this or do you use this and another moisterizer with it??

I have oily skin, and no, this doesn't make it worse. I only use the Pond's at night, rub it in, let it sit for a minute, and then take a warm wash cloth and gently massage off the cream. I then use a non-alcohol toner to remove the residue, and follow with a night cream. In the morning I cleanse my face in the shower with a gentle cleanser, use toner to remove the residue, and then use Oil of Olay as my daily moisturizer.

The routine in the morning keeps the heavier oils from the Pond's from remaining on my face during the day. Just using it at night helps a ton!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I have combination skin and my routine is almost the same as Goldleaf's.
And I second it, no, it doesn't leave my face oily. But that's probably because I only use it at night and using a toner afterwards really helps.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Cold Cream carry on

Ladies, I had my Pond's cold cream taken away from me last week by airport security! I've been traveling a lot for work this month and successfully brought it on in my carry-on bag before in other places, but this particular airport (Ontario, CA) took it. I didn't consider it to be either a "liquid" or a "gel" but they thought so, so that was that. As the jar was 3.5 oz travel size - over the carry-on limit - I had to dump it. I wanted to mention it as a cautionary tale so this doesn't happen to other girls! Luckily, I was going home, not just starting the trip.

ChezPez

New in Town
GlueGunGeisha- I just realized it says on the label that its mineral oil free. I was too hypnotized by its cheap sale price to notice! ha ha. The ingredients (from what I can make out on the label) are as follows: Squalene, Water, Beeswax, Ceresin, RoseDanascena Flower Water, Sodium Borate, Butylene Glycik, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Santalum Album Extract, Jojoba Esters, Acrykates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Edta, Alcohol Denat, Phenoxytheract, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutlparaben.

I might have spelled some of those wrong... its in very tiny print!
Yeah, I think I should've followed the earlier advice unto cold cream newbies to try Pond's first, but it was on sale! Anyway, trying to Pond's tonight. I'm thinking it will go better. Or at least hoping.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ChezPez said:
GlueGunGeisha- I just realized it says on the label that its mineral oil free. I was too hypnotized by its cheap sale price to notice! ha ha. The ingredients (from what I can make out on the label) are as follows: Squalene, Water, Beeswax, Ceresin, RoseDanascena Flower Water, Sodium Borate, Butylene Glycik, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract, Santalum Album Extract, Jojoba Esters, Acrykates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium Edta, Alcohol Denat, Phenoxytheract, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutlparaben.

I might have spelled some of those wrong... its in very tiny print!
Yeah, I think I should've followed the earlier advice unto cold cream newbies to try Pond's first, but it was on sale! Anyway, trying to Pond's tonight. I'm thinking it will go better. Or at least hoping.

Hmm, that's interesting...yeah, it lacks the key ingredient here, AND it has a ton of really nasty stuff that I don't recommend putting near anyone's body! EDTA is supposed to be bad, though I haven't read much about it...but look at all those parabens!! Parabens are preservatives that have recently been linked to breast cancer...nasty business.

Good luck with the Pond's!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I have read that mineral oil is actually pretty safe for sensative skin. Supposedly it is pretty non-reactive. Recently, someone posted a question about mineral oil, and if it may be bad for you. I read several of the articles that were posted. Some argued against mineral oil, and some claimed that it was neutral. [huh]

Also, you may break out at first. Pond's can pull a lot of the impurities out of pores, and cause some pimples as the gunk surfaces. If that doesn't go away pretty quickly, I would say it isn't working for you :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I take my BabyFace cleanser bar from Lush on flights with me. Being solid it doesn't count in any restrictions, but I find it's really similar to cold cream in the way it feels on and afterwards.

Shearer

Practically Family
FYI, don't leave Ponds in the trunk of your car on a warm day :eek: The oil WILL leak out onto your Boots lip glaze and other purchases lol

But seriously, out of all the stuff I tried on my skin over the years Pond's has worked the best... and I'm wondering if it's not a coincidence it has the shortest ingredient list of everything I've tried.

I used Clinique for a long time only to be told it was for "mature skin." Burt's Bees caused me to go red and bumpy all over, so that was out. So I just used soap and water for a while and got by on that, but when I tried Pond's I actually improved.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
ChezPez said:

Don't wash your face at all--just swab it with pure grapeseed oil on some cotton. If your skin is dry it will produce more oil, but if it is hydrated it will be balanced. You can get a 32oz can of food-grade grapeseed oil at a health food store for about $12 & it has a multitude of uses.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
After reading the posts about the cold cream and witch hazel regimen, I thought I'd give it a go. My skin is pretty wonkey when it comes to cleansers. I used to have horrible acne, but it's been kept at bay for about a year now (although I still get the occasional breakout :eusa_doh: )

I started using cold cream at night and using witch hazel on an as-needed basis. In the morning I cleanse with a Burt's Bees lettuce soap. My skin has never felt better!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ehhh, I don't know what to think about my skin. I tried the cold cream, and my face broke out a bit more (and the day before a photoshoot, too!!). I'm back to my regimen of rotating oil (non-mineral) cleansing with Mychelle cleansers.

I think I just need to wait for things to even out. I just got off birth control, and until about a month ago, I had to use a progesterone cream with testosterone and DHEA because my hormone levels were so depleted from the Pill. I'm also detoxifying from my India trip -- the pollution was crazy! I'm going to get my hormone levels reevaluated very soon to see what's going on...ugh!

Target carries Boots products, but alas, no cold cream! I checked the ingredients on the brand from Origins, but there were so many additives...

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
gluegungeisha said:
Also, for anyone concerned about mineral oils, I looked up the ingredient on the Skin Deep database. I've always used this website to check the ingredients in my cosmetics.

http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingred...977&refurl=/wordsearch.php?query=mineral+oil&

And for Pond's Cold Cream specifically:

http://cosmeticsdatabase.com/produc...furl=/wordsearch.php?query=pond's+cold+cream&

...Interesting. :eek:

Geisha,

When you first start using cold cream, break outs can occur due to the fact that the gunk in your pores is coming out. One things settle down, try it again. You might be surprised.

Oh, and you are adorable.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'll definitely try the cold cream approach again, but I'll probably make my own from one of the old recipes. I've been checking out the different brands, and each one of them has something about it that I don't like.

For Origins and C.O. Bigelow, there were a bunch of unnecessary and weird ingredients. Pond's is the best I've found in terms of ingredients, but they conduct animal testing! I have, however had great luck cleansing with olive oil, castor oil and grapeseed oil -- I think the effect is similar to that of the active ingredient in cold cream. I also do really well with soothing, creamy cleansers, such as Mychelle's Honeydew Cleanser...I'm CRAZY about this stuff, and it doubles as an eye makeup remover.

Thank you, darling!:)

Sunny

One Too Many
Grnidwitch said:
Geisha,

When you first start using cold cream, break outs can occur due to the fact that the gunk in your pores is coming out. One things settle down, try it again. You might be surprised.

Oh, and you are adorable.

Is there any kind of limit? I tried using cold cream for months back in the fall and I broke out continuously, and in places like my hairline where I haven't had problems in years, if ever. It was really bad. Maybe I was doing it wrong. :(

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Sunny said:
Is there any kind of limit? I tried using cold cream for months back in the fall and I broke out continuously, and in places like my hairline where I haven't had problems in years, if ever. It was really bad. Maybe I was doing it wrong. :(

I don't think you were doing it wrong. You might want to rinse your face after removing the cold cream. I use Ponds make up remover cloths and that seems to work well to remove all traces of the cc. And I know some of the ladies use witch hazel as a toner after removal of the cc.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
gluegungeisha said:
I'll definitely try the cold cream approach again, but I'll probably make my own from one of the old recipes. I've been checking out the different brands, and each one of them has something about it that I don't like.

For Origins and C.O. Bigelow, there were a bunch of unnecessary and weird ingredients. Pond's is the best I've found in terms of ingredients, but they conduct animal testing! I have, however had great luck cleansing with olive oil, castor oil and grapeseed oil -- I think the effect is similar to that of the active ingredient in cold cream. I also do really well with soothing, creamy cleansers, such as Mychelle's Honeydew Cleanser...I'm CRAZY about this stuff, and it doubles as an eye makeup remover.

Thank you, darling!:)

I think you are right with the oil. It does have the same affect. And if they work well for you, then keep using them. Your skin looks lovely.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
So, I bought Ponds on the net and started the regime. In the beginning, I really like the feel of it and my skin was pretty good. But after using it about three-four weeks, I experienced the worst breakout I have had in years!

I went of the cold cream, and has almost not used it for three-four weeks. No difference in skin, though, it is still as bad.

Sorry if I gross you out, ladies, but I am desperate and have a question: Do you think the breakout can be Ponds fault? At first I thought so, but should it not have been better by now, after I stopped using it? And, now matter the cause, does anybody have any advice that can help me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy